joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-? Cold snap

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3z RAP initialized pretty well and it has widespread -20 to -25 readings in northern Indiana at 12z. 

Little bit too cold around here.

rap_t2m_city_ncentus_2.png

I don't know...

Time will tell.

Its -14 in NW IN would be off by 5 degrees if we were using VPZ.  Only -9 there at 04z.  Though -30 would be pretty cool to see...

Currently sitting at -11 at the ASOS.  The tower we have at the university is showing -10.

Perfect calm is always better than low thicknesses but 5-7 mph wind over snow cover, so might expect that some places will do better for their Wed morning low than overnight tonight, even if cirrus is overspreading by dawn. Surface ridge axis for the win on extreme lows, w MN to central IA then into IL-IN but here it's a fight between deeper snow cover and better radiation so the pattern will not continue to hug the ridge line so much.

Models probably need a regional heat island escape and regional mixing boost of 3-4 F deg, they are tending to show what lows would have been in 19th century before any large urbanization, there's a secondary mixing effect outside of actual urban heat islands because some of that anomalous warmth has to escape then it mixes into the ambient surroundings. I also feel that deeper snow cover radiates more effectively, so that colder pools form over lake effect snow fields if the air is not moving over the lake that produced them. This is how I managed to get a -41 reading in Jan 76, there was over a foot of snow from previous two days of lake effect, a few nights before over half that snow pack, -35.

No change, Still -9. You have a chance now. :shiver:

We've worked down to -9 here as well. I'm going to go to bed and see how cold it got in the morning. Sunday morning we dropped from 8 at 3AM to -5 for a low, although I doubt that much of a last minute rally is in the cards tonight. We'll see, OU decided it will just be too darn cold to have classes between 5:00PM Monday and 5:00AM Wednesday so I'll be sleeping in.

We've worked down to -9 here as well. I'm going to go to bed and see how cold it got in the morning. Sunday morning we dropped from 8 at 3AM to -5 for a low, although I doubt that much of a last minute rally is in the cards tonight. We'll see, OU decided it will just be too darn cold to have classes between 5:00PM Monday and 5:00AM Wednesday so I'll be sleeping in.

Good luck down that way!

Heard this on the radio this morning (50,000 megawatt WCCO), if we get a below zero reading on Wednesday and we will, that will make 31 days so far this season with readings below zero, that hasn't happened since 1978-79  when I was 20 yrs old. I guess that makes me a geezer....."where the H did I put that D**n rocking chair!!!   :lmao:

I thought that I was the only geezer in the subforum!!! I'm the same age as you, so I also remember '78, '82, etc. (sort of). :oldman:

Archived