joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-? Cold snap

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard this on the radio this morning (50,000 megawatt WCCO), if we get a below zero reading on Wednesday and we will, that will make 31 days so far this season with readings below zero, that hasn't happened since 1978-79  when I was 20 yrs old. I guess that makes me a geezer....."where the H did I put that D**n rocking chair!!!   :lmao:

Looks like another underachieving night, just like with the arctic blast back in early Jan.  Point has been insisting low -20s for days, I was thinking -17, but I'm wondering if we'll even make -14 or -15 now.  Pretty lame.  '09 blows this out of the water by far.

I noticed MLI has dropped to 3 mph.  What's your temp there?

It's actually -8.  For some reason the Wunderground widget always rounds down when it's below zero lol.  Cold night, but nothing too extreme compared to what we've felt in the past around these parts. 

Ah, I see. Also would've helped if I clicked the link to your weather station. :lol:

Just looked up the Jan '09 event.  That one featured a 1044mb high pressure vs our current one of 1032mb.  The '09 high pressure was more compact, and moved slowly southeast over the areas that ended up the coldest that morning.  This current high pressure is weaker, and more spread out.  850mb temps look about the same between the two events, so it looks like it came down to a much stronger high vs our current one. 

Archived