joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-? Cold snap

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point for Tue am bumped from -24 to -22.  This may be kind of like the early Jan cold blast where the forecast backed off on the cold a bit as we got close.  Was forecast to get down close to -20 with that one and only managed -17.

Point forecast bumped up Tuesday's low one degree here. Now -18°. Thinking this will be the same level of cold air blast as before, but shorter duration. 

Wednesday is now supposed to be 16° here.  

Local schools are canceling here for tomorrow...I haven't seen any model that makes it extremely dangerous for schoolchildren to get to school. Tuesday, yes, but tomorrow, ?.

It's the windchills at the time the school lets out that is dangerous for Monday....and will be the same case for the morning Wednesday (as forecasted now) .... Tuesday is a no-brainer as you said

Good. We need to overachieve the next two days to mitigate this hideous torch of today.

Taking a look back at the last time we hit -20 (January 5, 1999), 850 mb temps were in the -15 to -18 range.  There were stretches of calm winds and of course we had a very deep snowpack then. 

Going back to the time before that (January 19, 1994), 850 mb temps were in the -21 to -24 range, which is similar to what we will have Tuesday morning.  There were some periods of calm winds that night but winds mostly stayed in the 5 mph range.

When we hit -19 on January 16, 2009, 850 mb temps were in the -21 to -24 range with winds mostly in the 5 mph range. 

Based on this, if I had a gun to my head I'd probably go with something in the -15 to -20 range for us.

Archived