joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-? Cold snap

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenosha Unified goes with a -34 degree wind chill for closing schools. What makes Kenosha unique is the high amount of students who walk to school each day-couple that with kids waiting at the bus stop (working parents can't wait at the stop with kids in the car)and the decision to close becomes easy.

How they came to the -34 WC decision is beyond me...

Gotcha.

Michigan hasn't had one since the 1978 Cleveland Superbomb.

Too bad Michigan never closes. Ever. :(

(they have twice... Jan 1978 and 1945)

Edit: you already know I guess :P

I heard once that the last closure before 2011 was 1987, but I don't know if that's true.  In the past few years our commuter population has swelled, which also has to be taken into account, as well as that for cold days, Michigan usually doesn't get as cold as northern Indiana with all the lake modification.

Kenosha Unified goes with a -34 degree wind chill for closing schools. What makes Kenosha unique is the high amount of students who walk to school each day-couple that with kids waiting at the bus stop (working parents can't wait at the stop with kids in the car)and the decision to close becomes easy.

How they came to the -34 WC decision is beyond me...

Yeah I knew about that too. Looks like Tuesday will be the day they would close, over Monday. "Only" -20- -25° WC predicted Monday morning.

Didn't know about 1945. What prompted that one?

Anyway NWS says high of 5F Tuesday.

I found an article that says it closed in 1945 and actually 1974 too... But I can't find why.

The all being said they generally do a pretty commendable job here keeping the streets plowed

Loving the cold I'd have to say. 'Normal' weather is just boring for me. Give me some extremes to spice it up. Something about the feeling of having to brave the elements, it just makes you feel alive. Sundogs two days in a row now.

Definitely noticing the insanity starting to build in the general public. Amazing how weather controls so many aspects of our lives, right down to the mental state.

I have to agree in some respects, normal weather I don't actually care for. I hate extreme cold but when crazy stats start popping and unusual effects become apparent, I don't mind it  :guitar: . The second part is a part of why I love weather, it affects every human on earth and can influence everything. Mental state changing because of it is 100% true, heatwaves do something for me nothing else can...makes me extremely happy everytime.

I get WDIV Local 4 and other Detroit stations and there are closures from time to time in the city and outside...what is being conveyed here?

My graphical forecast from MPX has me at -27 for Tuesday morning.  I'm about 15 miles NNW as the crow flies from MSP, while not technically in the core of the MSP metro area (ie not inside the 494-694 loop), this is still a well developed area with a rather dense population.  I shudder when I think how cold it could get to my nw, say about 5 miles.  For those that want to check where I'm at goggle Champlin, MN

Edit:  with wind chill at -48

Gotcha.

Michigan hasn't had one since the 1978 Cleveland Superbomb.

Central Michigan University was like that too until 2008, someone slipped and got injured on an icy day. We ended up having 4 snow days that year, and the last one before then was the 78 Blizzard.

Lol, it was actually 31° around 2am today.

After falling on rock hard ice on Thursday (did not feel good), I'm wishing for 20s at least now. Plus I've had to deal with 2 frozen pipes already this month. Cold and dry has never really done it for me.

- Palm trees won't be appearing in my posts, lol. Don't worry.

It's no problem, but when posts are biased and using the models and reasoning that benefits what you want, that will be called out as wishcasting.

Archived