CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS shows a significant blast of cold that would come close to the early month cold around days 11-12...Euro days 10-11.

post-525-0-78914100-1389899573_thumb.gif

Just looking at things, the signals over the Pacific continue to strongly point to a very amplified ridge into Alaksa for late January. Convection continues to rage over the western Tropical Pacific and the Euro now agrees with the GFS in developing a pretty strong phase 6-7 MJO pulse over the next week...a couple of days ago the Euro was not nearly this optimistic (although the GFS was):

post-525-0-76204200-1389900073_thumb.png

post-525-0-23980000-1389900117_thumb.gif

I guess at this point one "red flag" to this extreme cold idea (other than being at day 10 right now) is after late next week, neither the 12z GFS or 0z ECM ensemble means show 850mb temps nearly as cold as the operational models currently do...although both ensembles do show the trough amplifying in the day 10-12 timeframe so I'd have to imagine we'll see the ensemble means gradually trend colder with time.

If you use a little imagination, it kinda looks like the chain of events of Jan 4-7. ;)

Imagination is the key word.  The PV behaves a bit differently this time.  There are hints of something getting going in the southern Plains at 240 hours but it would probably be crushed given the upper air pattern. 

Imagination is the key word.  The PV behaves a bit differently this time.  There are hints of something getting going in the southern Plains at 240 hours but it would probably be crushed given the upper air pattern. 

Right, was just saying...imagination needed. ;)

Thankfully the 12z GEFS aren't overbearing with the cold like the op run. Still cold, but better for snow purposes. Though it would be nice to line up one big cold shot before winter is over.

If anything....I would say the next cold shot looks more like the beginning of December (6th - 9th ish) arctic blast we had (and, IMO, fits the pattern better as we progress from an abundant NW flow to a progressive cutter/slider pattern)....the difference this time is there will be a little bit better snowpack around potentially....so there could be some possibilities at temps reaching the levels that we reached in early January....

just my 2 cents FWIW

My heating Bills are going to be outrageous. I truly hate the brutal cold, hoping for a pattern break.

nicor did an estimated reading in December....and did an actual reading a few days ago....The bill for December wasn't bad, but I have a feeling that the "actual reading" bill coming in a few days is gonna be a kick in the junk

Now now, you get a whopping 0.25" from days 6-16.

attachicon.gifUSA_APCPI240_sfc_384.gif

I don't care where the polar vortex is dancing around or how suppressive the pattern becomes, I have no doubt that somehow...some way....it will find a way to rain in CMH in a tiny 12 hour period sandwiched somewhere in that 6-16 day range....even if the average temp mean during that period is -20.   Most likely timing for rain will be on the eve of POLAR VORTEX II the sequel wiping out any existing snow cover first.   :)

I don't care where the polar vortex is dancing around or how suppressive the pattern becomes, I have no doubt that somehow...some way....it will find a way to rain in CMH in a tiny 12 hour period sandwiched somewhere in that 6-16 day range....even if the average temp mean during that period is -20.   Most likely timing for rain will be on the eve of POLAR VORTEX II the sequel wiping out any existing snow cover first.   :)

Sounds like you live in America's version of Toronto.

:lmao:

12euro.....next 10 days total snowfall.....meh....comes in a couple of waves including tomorrow and again next week.    It's also cold but hardly historic or record breaking for mid to late January, in fact most of us bottom out close to zero.....at least until very late in the period when colder values begin to drop in.    

cut off the scale,  purple is the 6" mark.

Huge OOPS....looked at wrong thing.   Actually we get below zero next week and by about day 8 looks close to -15ish here.

post-622-0-60712400-1389986597_thumb.jpg

Archived