Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brett Anderson posted this today.

590x458_01091805_feb14.png

He did say this though:

We do feel that the February forecast is not cold enough, especially in the central and east, based on a number of other factors that we are focused on.

590x451_01091820_screen-shot-2014-01-09-

590x451_01091821_screen-shot-2014-01-09-

Brett Anderson posted this today.

He did say this though:

We do feel that the February forecast is not cold enough, especially in the central and east, based on a number of other factors that we are focused on.

Why is he putting out February forecasts on Jan 10th

This has no skill, sorry.

This has no skill, sorry.

Neither do you, yet you still try and "forecast".

3 week lead time forecasts aren't worth the megabytes they will subtract from my capped internet plan.

I can dig up the archives and compare if we want to keep this going?

EURO insistent on amplifying a trail s/w and spinning up a storm on the arctic front around D4-5. GEM and GFS way more progressive.

Used to be that even if the EURO was by itself, it's stellar record forced one to give it weight. This winter I'm not so sure.

Its a give or take pattern coming up through next week. Progressive jetstream is going to favor a transient pattern with little room for any decent sized storms to develop. And I'm not so sure. Didnt the Euro have this past storm whereas every other model was too progressive and showed virtually nothing? I'd give it another day before making any conclusions as to whether or not, their is any storm around Day 5. 

All in all, the pattern looks pretty boring through Jan 20th. Maybe some small clippers but nothing noteworthy. 

EURO insistent on amplifying a trail s/w and spinning up a storm on the arctic front around D4-5. GEM and GFS way more progressive.

Used to be that even if the EURO was by itself, it's stellar record forced one to give it weight. This winter I'm not so sure.

Its a give or take pattern coming up through next week. Progressive jetstream is going to favor a transient pattern with little room for any decent sized storms to develop. And I'm not so sure. Didnt the Euro have this past storm whereas every other model was too progressive and showed virtually nothing? I'd give it another day before making any conclusions as to whether or not, their is any storm around Day 5. 

All in all, the pattern looks pretty boring through Jan 20th. Maybe some small clippers but nothing noteworthy. 

The 18th through 20th clipper looks like a huge LES maker.

Only a matter of time before the GFS starts inching towards the euro, IMO. Seeing big trends on the 0z GFS regarding vort strength with the ejection out of the pac NW. Thinking the less progressive and deeper scenario has some merit a la the euro/ec ens. Something to keep an eye on at least.

Only a matter of time before the GFS starts inching towards the euro, IMO. Seeing big trends on the 0z GFS regarding vort strength with the ejection out of the pac NW. Thinking the less progressive and deeper scenario has some merit a la the euro/ec ens. Something to keep an eye on at least.

GEM was even better. Has slowed the progression of the ul trough but it stays positively tilted just a bit too long for our purposes. Nice snowstorm from central PA up to the QC eastern townships.

That was actually two separate clippers that occurred in rapid succession.

Yeah, we haven't had a vigorous clipper in a long time as far as I can remember. I think the last decent one was back in December 08 that dropped 3-4" in the area.

The clippers may look intriguing right now, but once we get closer, its like they become a dried up orange. Not very juicy! Haha.

That was actually two separate clippers that occurred in rapid succession.

Hmmm, interesting. We usually tend to do quite well with northern branch features at this time of year as they can often trigger meso lows, easterly flow LE enhancement or even NW flow squalls. The clippers, themselves, have been pretty lame since 08-09.

Archived