Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Isopycnic

:axe:  :weenie:  :rolleyes:

Well guess what brick... thats just the way the cookie crumbles. Bitching about it constantly doesn't do any good. You do live in NC after all.... if you want more cold and snow move north is all I can advise you. If not just have to accept what nature throws at us or either find a new hobby.

But it is going on three winters now. It shouldn't be that hard to get snow in central NC with our location. I just hate seeing it being cold enough for snow but dry, and then all the precip comes when it's too warm. The same song and dance over and over is getting old.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good thing is the bitter cold looks to only last a couple of days. Then it'll warm up and probably rain again.

Hey Brick, its not worth getting your blood pressure up, their are most important things in life than the weather, the weather goes in cycles, I know you know that.  Give this winter a chance it has really just begun and it has been better than the last 2 years already.

Brick, let me tell you one more thing, I grew up in Northern Wisconsin, and believe me it gets old very quick, we never closed school unless we just had a life threatening blizzard of which we had many.  I love living in the SE, I have lived in Atlanta almost 32 years.  I know you want snow, but what does snow really do for you, it causes nothing but misery, and after a few weeks it gets very depressing. Enjoy one day at a time and quit wish-casting for something that is completely and utterly out of our control.  Peace...Happy New Year.  Be happy. 

So will anyone opinion the SE be breaking records with the cold? If not, then it isn't as impressive as the December heat. Up North it's a different story, Chicago will have its first high below zero since 2009. I was there that day. Moved down here in November 2009. The low was -18 in my backyard with a windchill of -35. We had school closed that day and a lot of snow on the ground.

Hey Brick, its not worth getting your blood pressure up, their are most important things in life than the weather, the weather goes in cycles, I know you know that.  Give this winter a chance it has really just begun and it has been better than the last 2 years already.

Brick, let me tell you one more thing, I grew up in Northern Wisconsin, and believe me it gets old very quick, we never closed school unless we just had a life threatening blizzard of which we had many.  I love living in the SE, I have lived in Atlanta almost 32 years.  I know you want snow, but what does snow really do for you, it causes nothing but misery, and after a few weeks it gets very depressing. Enjoy one day at a time and quit wish-casting for something that is completely and utterly out of our control.  Peace...Happy New Year.  Be happy. 

But the thing is down here when it snows you have a good excuse to just stay home and enjoy it. And it's gone in a day or two. It's fun when it snows down here.

So will anyone opinion the SE be breaking records with the cold? If not, then it isn't as impressive as the December heat. Up North it's a different story, Chicago will have its first high below zero since 2009. I was there that day. Moved down here in November 2009. The low was -18 in my backyard with a windchill of -35. We had school closed that day and a lot of snow on the ground.

I can't speak for everyone, but here in Atlanta if we see any lows in the single digits, we'll definitely be putting record lows in jeopardy. Not to mention probably some record low highs. Already brings back memories of the January 2003 Arctic Blast for me.

I hear ya man and I am with you, but it causes traffic accidents, possible fatalities and other nonsense.  

Not if you are smart enough to stay home. I know not everyone can do that, though, but it's not worth going on the road unless you really have to. Just stay home and enjoy it, play in the snow with the kids. That is why it is fun down here.

Not if you are smart enough to stay home. I know not everyone can do that, though, but it's not worth going on the road unless you really have to. Just stay home and enjoy it, play in the snow with the kids. That is why it is fun down here.

Not denying that, but like I said I am from Wisconsin and have had my fill of snow to last me 5 lifetimes.

Coming off a week of vacation, I'll be starting the work week freezing my but off.  Working outside Monday and Tuesday will not be pleasant.

Often wondered how men that do my job cope in I places up north.  Guess I'll find out soon lol.

Really pulling for a freak burst of snow with the artic frontal passage to ground our vehicles for a day.  Doesn't take much for visions of lawsuits in management's head to pull this off.

Maybe you can help me with this Mr. Rain!  I was at an art show in the 80's, maybe, and I'm drinking a beer, which we were allowed to do, sitting out in the middle of the street.  Anyway, this kid starts yelping at my back while his parents are looking at my stuff, and I see he's glued his tongue to his frozen desert treat.  So I leap up, grab his pop sickle  pulling his tongue out, and pour beer all over it.  So he quits screaming, the pop sickle drops free, his parents look at me with their mouths wide open, and I sat back down.  Everybody within a 30 foot area was looking at me with a delicious melange of feelings for pouring beer on a 4 year old, lol.  I've worried to this day I may have made the tyke an old soak.   I did ask their permission, but mostly all I got was hysterical looks because they hadn't figured out why their kid was ballistic, lol, and screaming kids are fingernails on a blackboard :) What should I have done?

Sorry I'm late getting back to this! You did the right thing. Better to have an alchy who can talk than a sober mute. Saving the boy's tongue was definitely the right thing to do! All the same, you probably should have offered a free watermark or something on your artwork as a "special promotion" to make all the stand-arounders feel better.

And, also, your logo still confuses me. Will it in fact be warm?

If you're talking about the sig, Khan, with his superior intellect, is confidently letting you know that wherever you are, you can't escape the warmth. It'll chase you 'round the moons of Nibia, 'round Antares Maelstrom, and 'round Perdition's flames before it gives you up. Unfortunately, his pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. Adjusting the polar vortex Z-10,000 meters is the preferred course of action to counter the warm assault.

I hear ya man and I am with you, but it causes traffic accidents, possible fatalities and other nonsense.  

It's not worth dwelling on for long, but I did want to mention that traffic fatalities go down when there is a major snowstorm.  Lower speed and slippery roads result in more accidents of the fender bender variety, but less serious crashes.  

It's not worth dwelling on for long, but I did want to mention that traffic fatalities go down when there is a major snowstorm.  Lower speed and slippery roads result in more accidents of the fender bender variety, but less serious crashes.  

Probably so in small towns, but try telling that to a Metro of 6 million.... :sled:

There's been some comment in the arctic attack thread about people not being excited about the cold coming not being a fans of weather.  I consider myself a fan of the weather, but here is why a cold snap doesn't ring my chimes.  When I look out the window it doesn't make any difference of the temp is 20, 15, 10 or 0.  It looks exactly the same. I need a thermometer to tell me if I should be impressed or not.  When I walk outside 20 is cold.  So is 15, 10 and 0.  Add in some wind and it becomes cold at 30 and damn cold at 20, 15, 10 and 0.  

Look at all the other weather events that cause excitement here.  Snow is first of course. I can look out and see how hard it is snowing and how deep it is.  I can watch the depth grow as the snow swirls and falls.  Good stuff!  

High wind.  The neighbors cat sailing by my dining room window is a treat not to be missed. Trees swaying violently.  Will that tree fall or not? The roar of air rushing between and around various obstacles.  Exciting stuff.

Heavy rain has its own charm. You can see it pounding down turning low spots into small lakes. Creeks and streams rising out of their banks and spreading across the land around them add to the view. Again the visuals make it an event.

To each his own of course, but those my reasons for not getting excited over a cold snap, or a short heat wave for that matter.

There's been some comment in the arctic attack thread about people not being excited about the cold coming not being a fans of weather.  I consider myself a fan of the weather, but here is why a cold snap doesn't ring my chimes.  When I look out the window it doesn't make any difference of the temp is 20, 15, 10 or 0.  It looks exactly the same. I need a thermometer to tell me if I should be impressed or not.  When I walk outside 20 is cold.  So is 15, 10 and 0.  Add in some wind and it becomes cold at 30 and damn cold at 20, 15, 10 and 0.  

Look at all the other weather events that cause excitement here.  Snow is first of course. I can look out and see how hard it is snowing and how deep it is.  I can watch the depth grow as the snow swirls and falls.  Good stuff!  

High wind.  The neighbors cat sailing by my dining room window is a treat not to be missed. Trees swaying violently.  Will that tree fall or not? The roar of air rushing between and around various obstacles.  Exciting stuff.

Heavy rain has its own charm. You can see it pounding down turning low spots into small lakes. Creeks and streams rising out of their banks and spreading across the land around them add to the view. Again the visuals make it an event.

To each his own of course, but those my reasons for not getting excited over a cold snap, or a short heat wave for that matter.

100% agree, I am more looking forward to the warm up after the fact.  I am with Brick on this, if it's not going to snow might as well be warm.   But maybe the pattern reshuffles and think look better towards the end of Jan of snow.

The+Rock+Clapping.gif

100% agree, I am more looking forward to the warm up after the fact.  I am with Brick on this, if it's not going to snow might as well be warm.   But maybe the pattern reshuffles and think look better towards the end of Jan of snow.

Yes agree.  Cold is....a conversation starter, I guess? Other than that not very fun or exciting.  

Starting to root for an absoute torch the next two weeks so we can mix up the indecies in february.   

Sorry I'm late getting back to this! You did the right thing. Better to have an alchy who can talk than a sober mute. Saving the boy's tongue was definitely the right thing to do! All the same, you probably should have offered a free watermark or something on your artwork as a "special promotion" to make all the stand-arounders feel better.

If you're talking about the sig, Khan, with his superior intellect, is confidently letting you know that wherever you are, you can't escape the warmth. It'll chase you 'round the moons of Nibia, 'round Antares Maelstrom, and 'round Perdition's flames before it gives you up. Unfortunately, his pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. Adjusting the polar vortex Z-10,000 meters is the preferred course of action to counter the warm assault.

Oh, thank you, sir!  I knew if I consulted "Just Ask CR" I might find relief from the burden I've carried so long.  It was your sober mute analogy that brought me solace after all these years.  Would that I had thought of that on my own, and years ago! 

So, in the face of the coming coldastrophy, you are posing the Existential question of our time?  Using the intractable, megalomaniacal Khan, you are actually posing the question, Will it be Warm?  Will WE be warm?  Can we be warm?  Can we find warmth in the ever increasing depersonalization of society?                                            I weep, I soar, I contemplate.                 Without people can society long endure?  It's genius, sir, genius!!!

"I never knew"

"That you liked Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain

And the feel of the ocean, and the taste of champagne

If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape

You're the love that I've looked for, come with me, and escape"

Yes agree.  Cold is....a conversation starter, I guess? Other than that not very fun or exciting.  

Starting to root for an absoute torch the next two weeks so we can mix up the indecies in february.   

That's true too, I don't like the dry/cold but it is interesting to watch it unfold, I guess.  I agree we need to shake things up, this whole 1994 pattern repeat sucks.  In fact if we get a 1994 repeat than Feb was an absolute torch, a few cold days but the rest was very warm.

compday.cRVJ7gikud.gif

Archived