CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harrison (Hudson) 5.8 Inches at the NWS Cooperative Weather Station - HSNN4....  While it may be a great Snow Storm for some especially to the east I am personally not impressed,  Gone through 78, 83 and 96 and this storm is not even close to those events.   The highest measured wind I can fine at the Hudson County OEM Meso-Net this morning was 35 mph at the tropicana plant in Jersey City this station sits not too far to the Northwest of Robins Reef. 

The actual accumulations are not what will make this storm memorable to me and most other people, but the bitterly cold temperatures during the storm will.  Since I've started tracking the weather I can't ever remember seeing moderate to heavy snow with temps in the low teens.  And it's some of the most beautiful and high-quality snow I've ever seen.  It sparkles and you're actually able to see individual snowflakes.

Fell asleep for a couple of hours.  Last reading was 5" at 2 am and as of 5:30 am we have an estimated 6.5", which is the average of about a dozen measurements in my backyard (range was 5.5 to 7.25").  Still snowing close to moderately, but probably not for much longer.  Hoping to eke out another 1/2" to get to 7".  A very nice storm, although we did miss out on some of the heaviest bands.  It's is stunningly gorgeous out there and a little bit nippy, although temps went up a degree or two - now at 14F. 

Finally made it to 10 in Glendale" - still looks like another hour or two to go.

That's it for me tonight this storm was one of my favorites - the overnight crew was awesome and we all did a great job forecasting this one even when the models went to hell!

Epic storm, not so much for amounts but impressive cold with a storm for sure. I mean, yesterday I witnessed OES with an E wind and temps were DROPPING. Thats just sick. 

...i concur..light snow all day in riverhead..no real accum..but light snow all day in varying intensities.

Outplowing....its really not that bad....I would say 5-6 in bridgewater while Hillsborough and belle mead more like a solid 7 perhaps a tad above......the wind not bad and not seeing any drifts. Its cold but I think thus was a bit overhyped

It was quite windy for the whole night on LI. Overhyped yes. But also a fascinating solid snowstorm.

wow Im in Jersey City, the report said we got 5" but that is very, very hard to believe. I think we have around 7", it's so hard to measure

Lol it is stuff like this that makes what actually happened appear as if we busted. Not so. All the negative nelly's will try to come out of the woodwork and claim bust lol. NWS forecast will verify if it hasn't already which it has for me just 15 minutes due north of you (less as the crow flies obviously). I can confirm 15:1 ratios just as forecasted too. 6-7 inches already easily and it will be higher when all is said and done. My office in Jersey City has closed.

Archived