• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

suppression was not the right word.  How about a further south and east progression of the baroclinic zone....the battle will be between the strength of the pressing arctic high and the strength of the southeast ridge.  Classic super moist set up for someone to get clocked.      

Btw, as much as I hated the sleet storm it was for us....is there any correlation between this potential set up and VD2007?

I don't see the baroclinic zone shifting very far south and east into that strong ridge and the arctic high isn't that strong, compared to what we have been seeing 1035mb isn't that strong and the southeast ridge is forecast to be at its strongest and furthest west position thus far this winter. This matches up with the -PNA.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those talking about the storm being suppressed, what is going to suppress it? I see zero evidence that it should be suppressed. There is no block to the North and furthermore there is a block to the Southeast. That right there should tell you suppression isn't happening.

I think odds don't favor suppression, but a possibility might be if the northern stream gets too dominant and acts to suppress/shear out the southern wave as it tries to come north?

I think odds don't favor suppression, but a possibility might be if the northern stream gets too dominant and acts to suppress/shear out the southern wave as it tries to come north?

Which is similar to what we saw earlier this month. Instead, all of the energy streamed out in several weaker pieces that favored the TN/OH Valley. 

But the window is certainly there for a solution similar to the GGEM/EURO ensembles though. While the SE ridge is there, we need just enough northern stream wavelength for those heights to actually build up into our region (like what happened with GHD 2011). This way the trough is able to take on a negative tilt. 

I wish I could see the 2m temp profile and precip type for my location (and a few others).

Looking at the 850s, it doesn't look like the warm-up gets too out of control here. 

I know that many people are chasing the big one, but I would much rather take my changes with nickel and dimes and keep what I have on the ground.

GFS showed a nice run for the GTA atleast. Trended alot cooler than previous runs and now shows a nice 3-5" using 8:1 snow ratios. Other areas further south however look to be rain/mixing but only slightly above freezing. Looks alot better with the initial low this upcoming Friday-Satuday. 

Not liking where that confluence is south of Hudson Bay. May still be a suppressed run.

Yeah, not sure how this is all going to shake out on this run.  You have one thing saying north and another saying maybe not.  System definitely stronger than previous run though.

I wish I could see the 2m temp profile and precip type for my location (and a few others).

Looking at the 850s, it doesn't look like the warm-up gets too out of control here. 

I know that many people are chasing the big one, but I would much rather take my changes with nickel and dimes and keep what I have on the ground.

Agree. All of a sudden I may have double-digit snow depth by Tuesday here.....all I can think of is all those times we get warmth to stay around just long enough to melt the snow then it gets cold. Its not about keeping a snowpack just to look at stale snow lol, its a wonderful base. Say you keep a crusty 6-8" pack...yeah it will look dirty around the edges, but you get a 3-inch snowfall and bam, looks awesome.

Yeah, not sure how this is all going to shake out on this run.  You have one thing saying north and another saying maybe not.  System definitely stronger than previous run though.

Confluence sort of shifts east a bit at 156 and there's a stringy vort dropping into the northern Plains that might attempt a phase. Might be too late though. It'll be close.

Yep.

Wouldn't be surprised to see things trend cooler during that period either. GFS verbatim looks icy for us with the snowpack that's down. 

Im not sure how things like this are factored into the models....but according to instantweathermaps, the GFS "thinks" the current (well, hour 3) snowdepth is 2-3" snowpack in SE MI when its actually 6-9". Now, the 00z GFS properly "thinks" the snowdepth is indeed 6-9" and all of a sudden its a colder run. However...the GFS still thinks the snowdepth is only a few inches in NW MI :lol:

Confluence sort of shifts east a bit at 156 and there's a stringy vort dropping into the northern Plains that might attempt a phase. Might be too late though. It'll be close.

Timing is everything and how it phases with the two streams. The SE ridge is key to how much it prevents suppression and how the HP across the North distributes the cold air.  Its an ideal set-up for something big to happen if things fall perfectly into place. 

Still a week out. 

Storm weakens as it heads north..

Notwithstanding this run, I still think rain is the bigger threat than whiffing to the SE. Very impressive s/w in the southern stream that'll wrap up in no time if given the chance to phase.

Agreed. Although I pretty much just looked at the 850mb/precip noob maps, the progression of this storm makes zero sense. 

It looks pumped and primed to morph into a monster cutter and then it just goes "lol nah....." and drifts through the south. 

Notwithstanding this run, I still think rain is the bigger threat than whiffing to the SE. Very impressive s/w in the southern stream that'll wrap up in no time if given the chance to phase.

That could happen, but I've noticed that the models take this on a E-NE trajectory (even the more phased solutions ala the 12z CMC) which keep us cold enough for ice and/or snow.

It's still sort of in fantasy-land at this point.  Keeping an eye on it, but thinking this is going to be a rain-to-snow event, that is going to dampen some spirits.  Current TV met forecasts have rain Thursday, and temps near 40, and then Friday temps in the low 30's, right around freezing, with falling temps later in the day.

IF it winds up being a "mix" event we will get minimal backside snow. 

IF it goes the other way, and it becomes an all snow event, then, that's a good thing

Obviously things will change, but I will keep watching this with guarded optimism. 

Agreed. Although I pretty much just looked at the 850mb/precip noob maps, the progression of this storm makes zero sense. 

It looks pumped and primed to morph into a monster cutter and then it just goes "lol nah....." and drifts through the south. 

Yeah, look at all the GOM it has..moisture...the good news is we are far out and anything can happen..However we know for sure that we got a storm to watch, and I think this one could be a biggie.. 

Archived