Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EURO snow swath is actually further north than I would have thought. Lots 'o wiggle room.

yippee bullseye...   can only go down from here.  I'm thinking weaker and further south will probably be the trend.    As long as we stay out of Fzrain....I'll take plain rain over that.  Speaking of 2004, many around here spent that xmas with no electricity.

yippee bullseye...   can only go down from here.  I'm thinking weaker and further south will probably be the trend.    As long as we stay out of Fzrain....I'll take plain rain over that.  Speaking of 2004, many around here spent that xmas with no electricity.

Well you've sure been playing a hot hand lately, so maybe more of the same.

On the other hand, it's early days and I'm thinking a more amplified solution plays out. I was surprised actually how much the 12z EURO shredded the H5 s/w in the Plains beyond 168 hours as it moved east. Something seems fishy about it.

Well you've sure been playing a hot hand lately, so maybe more of the same.

On the other hand, it's early days and I'm thinking a more amplified solution plays out. I was surprised actually how much the 12z EURO shredded the H5 s/w in the Plains beyond 168 hours as it moved east. Something seems fishy about it.

yep that wouldn't surprise me.   Just seems the seasonal trend has been to flatten these things.   I'd be curious to see what kind of frz rain threat is portrayed on that euro solution.

From a modeling perspective, the thing that scares me is if the key features end up in Mexico for a while.  That can wreak havoc...for a recent example, I'm a believer that it's the reason why the models struggled so much in the run up to the 2/5/2011 storm.

That was one storm that caught just about everyone off guard here and I'd prefer that doesn't happen again. A.M. calls were 1" for Toledo. They ended up with more than GHD with 6.6". Crazy day.

I have no problem reliving that.

I mean I'm OK with it too, I guess. 

EURO snow swath is actually further north than I would have thought. Lots 'o wiggle room.

and lots o' headaches for the next several days. 

That was one storm that caught just about everyone off guard here and I'd prefer that doesn't happen again. A.M. calls were 1" for Toledo. They ended up with more than GHD with 6.6". Crazy day.

I mean I'm OK with it too, I guess. 

and lots o' headaches for the next several days. 

makes it more fun.

Sounds like some of them were hits here.

Does it really matter 8 days out?

makes it more fun.

Does it really matter 8 days out?

Good luck convincing others of that.

But yeah the main difference is all of the ensembles ( except the euro itself ) eject the system a bit quicker. The OP Euro is alone with it's track that far south and ejection time out of the sw. Pretty wild though how nearly all ( 51 members ) are picking up on this system for being 8 days out.

Good luck convincing others of that.

But yeah the main difference is all of the ensembles ( except the euro itself ) eject the system a bit quicker. The OP Euro is alone with it's track that far south and ejection time out of the sw. Pretty wild though how nearly all ( 51 members ) are picking up on this system for being 8 days out.

you mean someone here needs to be convinced not to buy into a 168-192 hr. model solution?  lol.    Btw, looks like you're getting some nice LES.

you mean someone here needs to be convinced not to buy into a 168-192 hr. model solution?  lol.    Btw, looks like you're getting some nice LES.

You have been around long enough.. :lol:

And yeah it has been snowing nicely today. Have already picked up over 2 inches from this.. Will probably end up in the 3-5 range when this all winds down later tonight.

ILN in the long range leaning toward the Euro right now.

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE WILL SLIDE OFF TO THE EAST THROUGH THE DAY ON
WEDNESDAY. EXPECT DRY CONDITIONS AND AS WE GET INTO SOME LOW LEVEL
WAA ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE HIGH...TEMPERATURES SHOULD PUSH UP INTO
THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S ACROSS OUR SOUTH...WITH LOW TO MID 30S IN
THE NORTH.

SHORT WAVE ENERGY MOVING ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS WILL HELP PUSH A
COLD FRONT SOWN INTO OUR AREA THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY. SOUTHWESTERLY
FLOW OUT AHEAD OF THIS WILL LEAD TO INCREASING MOISTURE TRANSPORT UP
INTO THE MID OHIO VALLEY THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY...ALONG WITH AN
INCREASING CHANCE OF RAIN. MODEL DIFFERENCES THEN ARISE AS THE 12Z
GFS CONTINUES TO PUSH THE FRONT ON THROUGH OUR AREA AND KEEPING THE
DEEPER MOISTURE WELL TO OUR SOUTH THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE
WEEKEND. HOWEVER...BOTH THE 12Z ECMWF AND 12Z CMC ARE STILL TRYING
TO LIFT THE FRONT BACK TO THE NORTH AS THE STRONGER SOUTHERN STREAM
SYSTEM MOVES OUT OF THE SOUTHWEST US. THIS WOULD BRING PLENTY OF
MOISTURE INTO AT LEAST OUR SOUTHERN AREAS AND LIKELY LEAD TO SOME
HYDRO ISSUES OVER THE WEEKEND. WILL CONTINUE TO TREND THE FORECAST
IN THE DIRECTION OF THE ECMWF GIVEN ITS CONSISTENCY. TEMPERATURES
WILL DEPEND ON THE EXACT TIMING/PLACEMENT OF THE FRONT. LEANING
TOWARD THE ECMWF...WILL TREND TEMPS A LITTLE WARMER AND KEEP PCPN
ALL RAIN ACROSS AT LEAST THE SOUTHEAST HALF OF OUR FA THROUGH THE
WEEKEND.

You have been around long enough.. :lol:

And yeah it has been snowing nicely today. Have already picked up over 2 inches from this.. Will probably end up in the 3-5 range when this all winds down later tonight.

yea believe me, I wouldn't be shocked in the least for the usual run showing the low to Columbus or Toledo to make it's appearance.  Although, inside 168, the euro usually likes to start north and move south.  In fact this was a snowstorm for Detroit as depicted the last couple of runs.....that's why I'm more worried about it ending up suppression city, (I know strictly anecdotal).   But who knows  At least someone in the subforum looks to get a nice blanket of snow pre-xmas.  Hopefully no one gets an icestorm

yea believe me, I wouldn't be shocked in the least for the usual run showing the low to Columbus or Toledo to make it's appearance.  Although, inside 168, the euro usually likes to start north and move south.  In fact this was a snowstorm for Detroit as depicted the last couple of runs.....that's why I'm more worried about it ending up suppression city, (I know strictly anecdotal).   But who knows  At least someone in the subforum looks to get a nice blanket of snow pre-xmas.  Hopefully no one gets an icestorm

All about timing of when it ejects out of the sw. One of the known euro biases is holding energy in the sw for too long. Granted it is supposedly not as bad as in years past. I personally don't see suppression. Lacking -NAO and no blocker up north for a 50/50 type deal either. Ofcourse that can all change on a dime too being so far out. My belief is the quicker system 1 ( late this week ) moves off the more the door opens for a further north/nw track and this does not take into account however quickly or slowly the UL system ejects out of the sw which will have a say. In short? Near impossible to say how far nw or suppressed this thing will be this far out. Just take it one day at a time. I'll feel better about predictions once we have this thing inside of day 5.

I don't see suppression being a major concern at this point (as in hitting the southern fringes of the subforum or farther south) given the progged robust southeast ridge.  I guess anything is possible but it seems like the lower probability scenario. 

Archived