• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

There is a bit of a limitation to how far northwest it can go. There is still a high dropping in from Canada and a northern stream piece of energy moving across Southern Canada at the time. So just like the over the top suppressed runs being unrealistic, an over the top phased bomb that cuts through Wisconsin would be unrealistic. Honestly what we are seeing from the Euro and the 06z GFS will probably be close to reality unless this thing completely stalls out in the Southwest, which is still possible as well.

So throwing out the Canadian would be a good idea

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a bit of a limitation to how far northwest it can go. There is still a high dropping in from Canada and a northern stream piece of energy moving across Southern Canada at the time. So just like the over the top suppressed runs being unrealistic, an over the top phased bomb that cuts through Wisconsin would be unrealistic. Honestly what we are seeing from the Euro and the 06z GFS will probably be close to reality unless this thing completely stalls out in the Southwest, which is still possible as well.

cutting through WI, probably not (wouldn't write it off as you have) but far enough NW to give Chicagoland rain is definitely in play and  one of the more likely solutions on the table IMO. No use getting too worked up but the left turn signal is on.

cutting through WI, probably not (wouldn't write it off as you have) but far enough NW to give Chicagoland rain is definitely in play and  one of the more likely solutions on the table IMO. No use getting too worked up but the left turn signal is on.

For you to get rain it would have to pretty much go over you, I don't see that in the cards.

For you to get rain it would have to pretty much go over you, I don't see that in the cards.

6z GFS is still playing catchup with the shifts NW and already brings the 0c 850 line into the LOT area with the 850 low passing near Indy. IMO rain is definitely on the table for ORD and even more likely for DTW.

Local forecasts seem to be leaning toward a rain event. 

We are forecast for upper 30's on Thursday, with temps falling on Friday, classic set up for a rain to snow event that leaves a mess, and little to cheer about. 

Conditions for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday:

Wed: Sunny 34/31

Thurs: Rain 42/32 (I would dare say more like 44/36, but that's just me)

Friday: Snow? 32/16.

The stage is set for a sloppy mess to come through Chi-town

Local forecasts seem to be leaning toward a rain event. 

We are forecast for upper 30's on Thursday, with temps falling on Friday, classic set up for a rain to snow event that leaves a mess, and little to cheer about. 

Conditions for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday:

Wed: Sunny 34/31

Thurs: Rain 42/32 (I would dare say more like 44/36, but that's just me)

Friday: Snow? 32/16.

The stage is set for a sloppy mess to come through Chi-town

That's the 19th/20th storm...it's much more minor and likely to be mixy or plain rain.

This thread is for the much more major piece of energy that follows Sat-Sun, although that timing could change.

That's the 19th/20th storm...it's much more minor and likely to be mixy or plain rain.

This thread is for the much more major piece of energy that follows Sat-Sun, although that timing could change.

Oh, it' seems I was following the wrong storm.....

Going back to the maps...............

6z GFS is still playing catchup with the shifts NW and already brings the 0c 850 line into the LOT area with the 850 low passing near Indy. IMO rain is definitely on the table for ORD and even more likely for DTW.

A big question with this is how much of a sleet/zr transition zone there will be.  Jury is out on that one.

Archived