CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Larry Cosgrove and his weekly newsletter... "The read I get on this system is threefold: one, that it is underdone due to model error (weak bias on GFS and ECMWF in the 144 - 180 hour time frame); secondly that the cold advance will be slightly more south and east than what current equation runs are showing (owing to favorable "gap" between the Gulf of Alaska ridge complex and the Sargasso Sea High); and the this feature will set up a major ice and snow event from western and northern Texas and Oklahoma into the Corn Belt and southern Ontario. Cities such as Dallas TX; St. Louis MO; Chicago IL; Indianapolis IN; and Detroit MI may be in line to see critical power and travel issues from ice and snow, followed by bitter cold."

...and of course JB thinks the euro is not aggressive enough with the advancing arctic front and the storm will go up EAST of the apps.  :lol:     Must have gotten a fresh batch of weenie feed in.

Gonna be a long week.

lol

if there is a bonus to this system...the flow isn't as crazy progressive.  At the very least, there will be more time between sampling and actual system impacts in our subforum this go around.  I imagine things will get somewhat locked in a little sooner than the last one.  That being said....the energy is in the middle of the pacific right now.  Not that sampling is everything....but it usually helps to clean up some of the rif raf in the models.

lol

if there is a bonus to this system...the flow isn't as crazy progressive.  At the very least, there will be more time between sampling and actual system impacts in our subforum this go around.  I imagine things will get somewhat locked in a little sooner than the last one.  That being said....the energy is in the middle of the pacific right now.  Not that sampling is everything....but it usually helps to clean up some of the rif raf in the models.

From a modeling perspective, the thing that scares me is if the key features end up in Mexico for a while.  That can wreak havoc...for a recent example, I'm a believer that it's the reason why the models struggled so much in the run up to the 2/5/2011 storm.

...and of course JB thinks the euro is not aggressive enough with the advancing arctic front and the storm will go up EAST of the apps.  :lol:     Must have gotten a fresh batch of weenie feed in.

Not with that strong high off the East Coast, good luck getting that Arctic front beyond the Apps.

From a modeling perspective, the thing that scares me is if the key features end up in Mexico for a while.  That can wreak havoc...for a recent example, I'm a believer that it's the reason why the models struggled so much in the run up to the 2/5/2011 storm.

Very true...good point...and also the mountainous terrain in western Canada can be quite data void as well...although I don't know that any energy sweeps in from that region or not yet....haven't really looked at the models too much yet on this one

Yeah those extremely favorable moisture trajectories have gotten my attention for this system for awhile now, the position of the high off the East coast is near ideal (obviously that 50-70+ kt LLJ feeding into the Mid South/rather strong surface reflection enhances the severe prospects from the 00z Euro's perspective)

ouch on the 12z gfs.   Holds back that energy forever and then sends it out as a xmas eve rainstorm for 80% of the forum.

The backside looked interesting. Plus we're now looking at 240 hour maps.

This run looked better to keep temps down in SEMI and points north.

At this time frame, I prefer to limit the damage IMBY and up north.

I know that is selfish. I pray for the whole subforum's snow coner.

12z Canadian and the Euro's crazy UnKle drumming up something past 144 hours. 

GGEM showed mostly snow for Chicago and surrounding areas but a major ice storm from SE Michigan/Northern Indiana and on into Southern/Eastern Ontario. Other regions including Ohio saw mostly rain.

As for the initial low, the GGEM still tracks it further north amongst all the other models. 

To say that the GGEM has a lot of moisture would be an understatement.  Too early to buy into any of these solutions verbatim but it shows the potential.

santa gonna need his floaties....   The ggem has what looks like a share the wealth scenario with 3 lows coming up the front, starting around 120 and ending around 192.  http://meteocentre.com/models/get_panel.php?mod=gemglb&run=12&stn=PNM&map=na〈=en

Archived