joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how well those analog progs do but to see 1976-77, 1960-61, and 2002-03 has to make the cold and snow lover smile.

Yea even if for a day. What a wakeup day for New England sports and weather weenies. Their teams rocked it out and now modeling coming on board. Nice, congrats Sox, Pats fans what a day.

BDR +6.7 MTD, knew  we were warm,but that's a megatorch.   BDL "only" +4.7

The other 4 SNE sites are all between +4 and +5, so a cold week would put a pretty good dent into that. It's still possible to finish below torch levels (+3) for the month. If the second half averages out normal that right there cuts these departures in half. The nights are killing us though. Groton and Stamford co-ops believe it or not will pass their average first freeze dates this week. BDR will pass their average first frost date this week, so even the warm spots in the state should be getting cold at night as normal lows are generally in the upper-30s and low-40s now. This might be another year that we go without fall frost or freeze advisories other than the lone one issued for northern Litchfield late last month.

As we discussed that was the 11-15 day a few days ago. We will have yo-yo weather from

Later this weekend through the next two weeks. It will not be constant cold. The 11-15 day as of now looks to avg a little below. The problem is that we cannot see storm track nuances so far out. It will probably be one of those thing where if we get a cold shot, it's a good one for a day or two, then we turn milder. Rinse and repeat.

Couldn't agree more with this assessment. Pretty impossible to accurately time out these inevitable nuances in this 1-2 week forecast, but you pretty much know the current forecast is likely going to verify warmer on a couple days and colder on a couple days in this time frame.

Man...there's a handful of weenie cold Januaries in those analogs.

lol yup...that page has been dropping 2002, 1976, 1993, 2003, 1960, etc... every day since mid-last week. 

The other 4 SNE sites are all between +4 and +5, so a cold week would put a pretty good dent into that. It's still possible to finish below torch levels (+3) for the month. If the second half averages out normal that right there cuts these departures in half. The nights are killing us though. Groton and Stamford co-ops believe it or not will pass their average first freeze dates this week. BDR will pass their average first frost date this week, so even the warm spots in the state should be getting cold at night as normal lows are generally in the upper-30s and low-40s now. This might be another year that we go without fall frost or freeze advisories other than the lone one issued for northern Litchfield late last month.

I thought they issued one for the first frost freeze regardless of date?  Or do they give it up once we pass the average first frost/freeze date?

And I don't believe there were any watches/warnings for it.  Temps even exceed my expectations of mid 30s.  Forecast busted by a solid 8F-9F.  I want to say 38F was the forecast.

MAV guidance actually was chilly. I think BOX only thought it would be patchy...but it was ideal conditions.

Looks like some Lake effect snowfall for me...this is a weenie image haha.

That probably wouldn't be lake effect snow in the lower elevations (ie, at least below 2,000ft).  Maybe some graupel in heavier showers or something... but it still looks like the only snow chances would be in that 3,500-5,000ft elevations of the Adirondacks and then over into the northern Green summits.

That probably wouldn't be lake effect snow in the lower elevations (ie, at least below 2,000ft). Maybe some graupel in heavier showers or something... but it still looks like the only snow chances would be in that 3,500-5,000ft elevations of the Adirondacks and then over into the northern Green summits.

True, the surface isn't cold enough to support snow. We haven't had a decent hard freeze yet this season. Higher elevations may get traces of accumulation to a dusting though flurries could be flying around but I don't see nothing more. Its only October LOL.

Apparently I wrote that tweet. He does realize they are speaking for areas outside the northeast too?

That JB graphic had the cold more centered in the Plains and Great Lakes anyway.  This is not news.  The core of any cold anomalies will be well west of New England.  We certainly should feel some side affects of that though... much like heat in the midwest during the summer.  Its not centered over us, but can sometimes sneak in or other times get denied (like ie. a cutter).

Plus, what are we terming "cold" right now?  Everyone keeps saying the cold is coming... what the heck are we measuring this by?  Departures relative to normal?  Normals are dropping like a rock this time of year, so even like 2 weeks from now its supposed to be significantly cooler than it is now, even just following climo.

Archived