Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible Severe Wx Monday

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strongest winds were ahead of front here which was expected., Branches down and even a small limb blocking a driveway down the street.

Pretty much AWT. Best risk was western areas with strong winds and even a possible tornado just west of the MA border. Most mentioned a brief spin-up possible given the environment. I don't think everyone expected  a massive outbreak.

CON is a coastal community? :huh:

I'll give ya MQE maybe but that's like using a 600-700ft tall tower to verify wind reports.

It's ok Blizz...not every call will be correct. You're still batting 0.996 this season.

There wasn't expected to be much in central/eastern areas and there wasn't. 47mph at ORH airport is decent but still pretty much a footnote.

We got some minor twigs/rotten branches down...the usual that you would see from a marginal wind advisory event.

Did you even bother looking at the BOX damage reports before making this ridiculous post? There was damage right to the coast in E Ma

There were actually about 1400 w/o power just N and W of Greenfield.  (Buckland, Shelburne, Leyeden)

RT 2  was closed in Gill near the French King Bridge for several hours due to downed electrical lines.

Didn't seem like much to me up here but my wife said the wind was howling for a while downtown Greenfield when the line moved through.

Between CT and RI there were 2 non-tstm wind damage reports and 1 tstm wind damage report. Also do that many people really send in all their damage reports via amateur radio?

BOX has a pretty robust amateur radio network. Other offices do not. For instance, we have to do most of the calling here at GYX (sheriffs, FDs, local LEOs, etc.).

Between CT and RI there were 2 non-tstm wind damage reports and 1 tstm wind damage report. Also do that many people really send in all their damage reports via amateur radio?

BOX seems to get a ton of reports via amateur radio, whereas you rarely see that on other WFO summaries.  I'm not even exactly sure how that works... do the radio operators go looking for damage and then call BOX on a designated frequency?  Are there really that many of them out there?

I always just send my reports in via email... with a smart phone that's usually the easiest way for me and I can attach photo(s), as photos can verify those reports pretty easily with regards to damage (trees down, etc) as well as snowfall (measuring board and ruler).

BOX seems to get a ton of reports via amateur radio, whereas you rarely see that on other WFO summaries.  I'm not even exactly sure how that works... do the radio operators go looking for damage and then call BOX on a designated frequency?  Are there really that many of them out there?

A lot of times they'll be set up right in the office, though that's not a necessity. We tell them were the storm is located and where to look for damage, and they get on the radio asking for reports.

A lot of times they'll be set up right in the office, though that's not a necessity. We tell them were the storm is located and where to look for damage, and they get on the radio asking for reports.

Ahh so its proactive vs. people just calling them on a designated BOX frequency or something? 

I figured they just had a bunch of Wiz's out there scouring for reports of literally anything weather related and then call them in.

The setup they have at BOX is awesome.  Thy skywarn coordinators and amateur radio operators who assist are incredibly dedicated to what they do.  

Ahh so its proactive vs. people just calling them on a designated BOX frequency or something? 

I figured they just had a bunch of Wiz's out there scouring for reports of literally anything weather related and then call them in.

I do assist with the skywarn coordinators and relay reports to them through AIM Chat.  This is why I always ask all those questions; location, street name, etc.  When they receive reports, reports just don't get thrown into an LSR, there needs to be info...especially with wind damage, this is where street names become huge b/c it helps to prevent double reports from being entered.  I have been working with them since about 2007 now and I was reached out too and asked if I would like to help out.  Since they know I'm always here and what not, they have me monitor here for any reports, and if I see something that meets criteria, I send it via AIM right away and then if they ask me to ask follow up questions I do.  Forecasters are obviously quite busy and it can be difficult for mets to monitor on here and the skywarn guys have the highest ranking HAM licenses and have a great reachout so they cover that stuff.

I do assist with the skywarn coordinators and relay reports to them through AIM Chat.  This is why I always ask all those questions; location, street name, etc.  When they receive reports, reports just don't get thrown into an LSR, there needs to be info...especially with wind damage, this is where street names become huge b/c it helps to prevent double reports from being entered.  I have been working with them since about 2007 now and I was reached out too and asked if I would like to help out.  Since they know I'm always here and what not, they have me monitor here for any reports, and if I see something that meets criteria, I send it via AIM right away and then if they ask me to ask follow up questions I do.  Forecasters are obviously quite busy and it can be difficult for mets to monitor on here and the skywarn guys have the highest ranking HAM licenses and have a great reachout so they cover that stuff.

Very interesting and cool stuff, dude. 

I have absolutely no knowledge of HAM radio operations but it sounds like they have quite the spotter network via that method. 

I have absolutely no knowledge of HAM radio operations but it sounds like they have quite the spotter network via that method.

Yeah I thought those things were like CBs that truckers use and went the way of 8-tracks when things like email, web sites, and camera phones w/high speed internet access came into existence.

Yeah I thought those things were like CBs that truckers use and went the way of 8-tracks when things like email, web sites, and camera phones w/high speed internet access came into existence.

Thankfully those guys exist, when the power grid and cell towers fail they are still up and operational

BOX has one of, if not the best network in the entire country.  Not only do the coordinators they have assist BOX but they are also very active with operations by the NHC and assist them when there are landfalling systems not only in the US but Puterto Rico as well.  Rob Macedo, who is the head coordinator for the BOX area is incredible and has not only a major passion but incredible dedication as well.  

Archived