12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Possible Severe Wx Monday

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily...while winds ahead of the line were strong (still below HWW criteria) the winds generated down associated with the line which caused damage were convective in nature which is why you wouldn't go HWW.  

I'm in agreement here. I know this discussion comes up all the time with the non-lightning producing squall line.

The winds are being mixed down by a convective squall line, not mechanical mixing of the LLJ. In my opinion, the short term convective products make the most sense.

I'm in agreement here. I know this discussion comes up all the time with the non-lightning producing squall line.

The winds are being mixed down by a convective squall line, not mechanical mixing of the LLJ. In my opinion, the short term convective products make the most sense.

makes technical sense but user confusion. I have seen some FB posts about them missing the TSTORMS but it was windy.

These types of scenarios can kind of trick people too b/c you would think the strongest winds should occur right under the main line but that hardly ever is the case.  The majority of the time, the strongest winds will be right out ahead of the leading edge and once you get into the rain cooled air, the winds aloft are much more difficult to mix down.  This is also usually the case in regular squall lines as well, however, with the more deeper convection (dealing with richer Cape values) you get into microburst/macroburst potential which is when you get damaging winds in the heart of the squall).  These low topped lines are such a tease though b/c it looks threatening but once you get into that rain, it's much more difficult to get into the stronger winds.  

makes technical sense but user confusion. I have seen some FB posts about them missing the TSTORMS but it was windy.

I can see how it would certainly generate public confusion, however, this is when I think the forecaster has to stress the point that there will be very little, if any, thunder and just briefly explain (I know hard to do :lol:) the process is just the same as with summer storms except there will be little thunder/lightning

I can see how it would certainly generate public confusion, however, this is when I think the forecaster has to stress the point that there will be very little, if any, thunder and just briefly explain (I know hard to do :lol:) the process is just the same as with summer storms except there will be little thunder/lightning

except every body gets text alerts on their phones that say severe Tstorm warning, really nbd was just wondering

Well obviously there is a difference between trees down ahead of the line and trees down with it. There was even disagreement among offices as to how to handle this watch today. You'll be able to tell from looking at the LSRs what the philosophy of the day was.

Well obviously there is a difference between trees down ahead of the line and trees down with it. There was even disagreement among offices as to how to handle this watch today. You'll be able to tell from looking at the LSRs what the philosophy of the day was.

I always like seeing tstm vs non-tstm wind damage.

You gotta stay the course. People will claim not to see lightning, yet the line knocked a tree through their Buick. I'm sure the NWS is aware of this, but in the end, warning issuance with the hopeful help of media explaining there may be little lightning but strong winds is the hope.

except every body gets text alerts on their phones that say severe Tstorm warning, really nbd was just wondering

The problem mostly stems from the fact that people still think we issue SVRs based on lightning. When in reality we only care about lightning in the cases where it is prolific.

Archived