Toothache
Possible Severe Wx Monday

Damage In Tolland

THE MAIN CONCERN MAY
ACTUALLY BE THE POTENTIAL FOR STRONG WIND GUSTS. A VERY STRONG
SOUTHERLY LOW LEVEL JET WILL BE IN PLACE MON EVENING WITH 850 MB
WINDS REACHING 65 KTS. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT A FINE LINE OF
CONVECTION WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE FRONT WITH LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND
GUSTS ALONG IT. THIS WILL NEED TO BE WATCHED. IN ADDITION...
LOW LEVEL WIND SHEAR IS EXPECTED...ALWAYS A CONCERN FOR AVIATION.
SOUTHEAST SURFACE WINDS OF 10 KT WILL INCREASE TO 65 KTS OUT OF
THE SOUTH AT 5000 FT.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE MAIN CONCERN MAY

ACTUALLY BE THE POTENTIAL FOR STRONG WIND GUSTS. A VERY STRONG

SOUTHERLY LOW LEVEL JET WILL BE IN PLACE MON EVENING WITH 850 MB

WINDS REACHING 65 KTS. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT A FINE LINE OF

CONVECTION WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE FRONT WITH LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND

GUSTS ALONG IT. THIS WILL NEED TO BE WATCHED. IN ADDITION...

LOW LEVEL WIND SHEAR IS EXPECTED...ALWAYS A CONCERN FOR AVIATION.

SOUTHEAST SURFACE WINDS OF 10 KT WILL INCREASE TO 65 KTS OUT OF

THE SOUTH AT 5000 FT.

Bangers and a spinner here and there ?

I dont see the tornado threat but I could see some strong gust with this

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1240 PM CDT SUN OCT 06 2013

VALID 071200Z - 081200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE
MID-ATLANTIC/NORTHEAST STATES...

...MID-ATLANTIC/NORTHEAST STATES INTO NEW ENGLAND...
THE CLOSED UPPER TROUGH CURRENTLY OVER THE MIDWEST IS EXPECTED TO
ACCELERATE NORTHEASTWARD ON MONDAY AS IT BEGINS TO PHASE WITH AN
ADDITIONAL TROUGH OVER PORTIONS OF QUEBEC/ONTARIO. SHOWERS/SOME
TSTMS ARE LIKELY TO BE ONGOING MONDAY MORNING NEAR AN
EASTWARD-ADVANCING COLD FRONT AS IT SPREADS EAST OF THE
APPALACHIANS. THIS POTENTIAL FOR ONGOING PRECIPITATION/CLOUD
COVER...AND RELATIVELY WEAK LAPSE RATES ALOFT...PROVIDES UNCERTAINTY
REGARDING THE EXACT DEGREE OF DESTABILIZATION DURING THE DIURNAL
HEATING CYCLE.

BUT WITH A VERY MOIST AIRMASS ALREADY IN PLACE ACROSS THE
REGION...AND GIVEN THE EXPECTED EVOLUTION/INCREASINGLY NEGATIVE TILT
OF THE UPPER TROUGH...THERE WILL BE SOME SEVERE POTENTIAL
PARTICULARLY MONDAY AFTERNOON...EVEN WITH RELATIVELY LIMITED
BUOYANCY. THIS WILL BE ASSOCIATED WITH STRONG FORCING FOR ASCENT AND
A MARKED STRENGTHENING OF LOWER-MIDDLE TROPOSPHERIC
WINDS...ACCENTUATED BY 50+ KT SSW WINDS WITHIN THE LOWEST 1 KM.
OVERALL SCENARIO COULD SUPPORT A STRONG/POTENTIALLY SEVERE
LOW-TOPPED ORGANIZED LINE OF CONVECTION...WITH POSSIBLE EMBEDDED
SMALL-SCALE BOWS. EVEN MODESTLY SUSTAINED /PERHAPS EVEN
NON-LIGHTNING PRODUCING/ EMBEDDED UPDRAFTS MAY CAUSE CONCERN FOR
DAMAGING WINDS MONDAY AFTERNOON...AND PERHAPS EVEN A TORNADO.

1380255_542588569146382_570700630_n.jpg

&& Short term /8 am Monday morning through Tuesday night/... as of 354 PM EDT Sunday...the cold front will begin to spread precipitation into the slv from the west in the late morning/early afternoon on Monday. Low level jet persists into the afternoon with 50-60kts ahead of attending cold front. Instability lacking with generally less than 100j/kg of cape...but plenty of shear over the area from the strong low level jet. With precipitable waters over 1.6 inches possible...have included slight chance and chance for ts and heavy rain. Expect front to bring precipitation to cpv by midday with mesoscale models showing fine line of strong showers/ts possible. Ahead of the front...temperatures will peak into the l70s in the valleys. Monday evening...the front will pick up momentum as the upper trough lifts northeastward into southeastern Ontario/southern Quebec. Expect showers and ts to quickly exit eastern Vermont early Tuesday morning. Within northwest flow...some remnant moisture may keep slight chance of showers mainly over terrain."

GFS is still fairly meager with the instability tomorrow up in SW New England - though is decent back into NJ.

The 00z NAM has a fairly impressive low CAPE/high shear environment for tomorrow. While the favored storm mode will be linear/QLCS there is sufficient 0-1km shear (40+ knots!) and surface based CAPES and low LCLs (around 400-600 meters) where tornadoes are a possibility. In fact, the NAM is as impressive if not more impressive with its forecast for tomorrow than both tornado days in CT this summer (including the infamous Tolland fakenado). 

One thing that really caught my interest on the NAM was 0-3km CAPE values >100 j/kg 

We'll see what tomorrow winds up bringing but I'm definitely intrigued. This is the graphic I used at 11 p.m. to show the threat. 

BV8DmtuCEAAJKeU.png

GFS is still fairly meager with the instability tomorrow up in SW New England - though is decent back into NJ.

The 00z NAM has a fairly impressive low CAPE/high shear environment for tomorrow. While the favored storm mode will be linear/QLCS there is sufficient 0-1km shear (40+ knots!) and surface based CAPES and low LCLs (around 400-600 meters) where tornadoes are a possibility. In fact, the NAM is as impressive if not more impressive with its forecast for tomorrow than both tornado days in CT this summer (including the infamous Tolland fakenado). 

One thing that really caught my interest on the NAM was 0-3km CAPE values >100 j/kg 

We'll see what tomorrow winds up bringing but I'm definitely intrigued. This is the graphic I used at 11 p.m. to show the threat. 

BV8DmtuCEAAJKeU.png

Wow, 40+ knots of sheer is impressive, but do you think the NAM is being over zealous on CAPE?

5% TOR for Hudson Valley into E PA/NJ per SPC. Certainly some strong wind fields, I think there will be many strong gusts, perhaps some severe. NAM had 925mb winds up to 50kts, or at least the 18z run did. Was out in central PA a short time ago and it was mostly clear, but quite breezy. Hit some good wind gusts with the front in Ohio earlier as well. We'll see what later today brings. I'll run some numbers and see how this compares to prior 2013 events.

Maybe just the fact that this thread exists is what makes me believe that some people think a high threat exists. That's for them to decide. Some ingredients are definitely there but like you said when we've had setups like this before (earlier in the summer), it's done nothing but squat. Setups like these are just teasers to stimulate the mind till actual good events come though. You might be getting your cold weather shot at the end of the month though with Euro weeklies hinting at ridging over GOA so hopefully an eventful Nov. is around the corner. I'm over this crap (minus my warm temps of course).

Archived