• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
How do the Members want this sub-Forum run/moderated?

Baroclinic Zone

Brian from last night

It seems like every cold season we have a crack down to get everyone back into shape for winter...sorta like NFL training camp. We already have an OT forum so I think we're pretty compromising to have banter threads on the wx side. I try to keep pattern/storm discussion to the wx only thread and the general ****-shooting wx talk and OT talk to the banter one, but obviously sometimes we all get sidetracked. I don't do a lot of moderating from my ios devices, but when I do I focus on the more egregious posts. As a whole, we'd like to have all subforums with similar posting guidelines though. It was a battle years ago, when everything was in just the wx F&D forum, trying to keep all members happy when some regional threads had unwritten, different rules from the others.

As for no longer visiting other regions due to subforums, I don't understand the difference between clicking into a different subforum vs clicking into a different regional thread. Is it a case of being forced to see the other regional thread topics back then versus the out of sight/out of mind with the subforums? I feel like the threads created more regional trolling/competitiveness.

Lastly, the weather is boring. I would just about take a day of sheet drizzle right now.

And Will from last night.

The board isn't 50 regular posters anymore like in 2006 or 2007...its much bigger now. Therefore the joking around gets out of hand much faster so we try and accomodate everyone by making a banter thread where it can go on and not derail a wx analysis thread. Its not like people are being told to leave the board...just post in the designated thread.

Its not that hard. The board is bigger, so we adjust...Kevin you are all about adjusting to the changes around us, right? I know you preach that. If the board was still a dozen regular SNE posters and 20 regular Mid-Atlantic posters, then we'd still have one main forum with mixed threads. But we aren't like that in 2013. (really post-2007-2008) 

Yes, the weather is slow and boring right now...but if we are more lenient, then people protest the instant the weather gets interesting claiming that the staff and mods are not consistent with the way they moderate. So it is what it is.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve is getting DTesque with the conspiracy theories.

Lol just was wondering where the HM2 guy was posting from. would like to ask him who drove him away and when. The HM I interacted with for the past ten years has been very tolerable of questions and people challenging his assertions.

Remember the time that DT thought that Ji and blizzard24 (then blizzard22) were the same person?...lol

geezus there is a thread at DBM about SNE, enough said... /thread

Nope, it's a general LOL @ Amwx Thread for anything that is lol worthy.

I've stepped away from any drama between here and there per Randy's wishes so anything over there has no bearing here,

I do post on occasion there but the place is tiresome at times.

I honestly don't remember the trolling, but you have to expect that if you post forecasts using the methods he does. You will always have ball busters that don't have a clue about the process. It doesn't make it right, but I can understand why some people busted his chops. I think it was messenger iirc.

We really don't like folks from other regions, lol.

I'm just happy you guys put up with folks from NNE... though even that can sometimes get tense if a snow event bisects the region. ;)

Unfortunately weather does create regionalism.

I totally disagree with your assertion, weather posts and banter from outside regions are wholeheartedly embraced, its the trolling and negativity that gets pounced on. the obsession with the New England forum by other regions and boards is one of the weirdest things that has developed.

If you don't acknowledge the problem then you are part of it. Look, we're friends and we go way back. But if I've learned anything it's you have to not reject complaints out of hand even if you think they are of no substance. More than one person is feeling we're azzholes so maybe there's a grain of truth.

Good points made in here, I have to be honest, I have not posted much primarily because I got tired of the same game, post made hyping something.. mets attack .. rinse and repeat.

With that said, we still have the best technical analysis when the weather gets interesting, the loss of HM and a few others mets who did not want to post here I hope is a signal for all that we need to change our style so we again become the best forum for analysis and discussion.

R.

I totally disagree with your assertion, weather posts and banter from outside regions are wholeheartedly embraced, its the trolling and negativity that gets pounced on. the obsession with the New England forum by other regions and boards is one of the weirdest things that has developed.

I think what happens is folks from outside the region do read this board regularly even if they don't post in it.  I see names browsing from all different regions at times.  So they know what goes on here.  I don't see why if someone gives some advice we pounce all over them for being outside the region.  This isn't a closed forum...and I know Forky comes here to stir the pot, but there are others that are actually just trying to give advice.  And when its the same advice we see from several members within our forum, its probably not all that crazy.

We essentially shun any opinion of anyone outside our area.  We will welcome them to post weather but no matter how much they read this forum, if they have any advice for us, we just tell them to f*k off if they are not within the New England boundaries.

I think what happens is folks from outside the region do read this board regularly even if they don't post in it.  I see names browsing from all different regions at times.  So they know what goes on here.  I don't see why if someone gives some advice we pounce all over them for being outside the region.  This isn't a closed forum...and I know Forky comes here to stir the pot, but there are others that are actually just trying to give advice.  And when its the same advice we see from several members within our forum, its probably not all that crazy.

We essentially shun any opinion of anyone outside our area.  We will welcome them to post weather but no matter how much they read this forum, if they have any advice for us, we just tell them to f*k off if they are not within the New England boundaries.

This is something that was a board wide issue when the switch to sub-forums occurred.  it has gotten much better though but this is/was not just a SNE thing

If you don't acknowledge the problem then you are part of it. Look, we're friends and we go way back. But if I've learned anything it's you have to not reject complaints out of hand even if you think they are of no substance. More than one person is feeling we're azzholes so maybe there's a grain of truth.

Sort of my feeling as well. 

This is something that was a board wide issue when the switch to sub-forums occurred.  it has gotten much better though but this is/was not just a SNE thing

Very true.  Lets lead the way then. 

Its always been there, too... I think people forget how rough the regionalism was when we were all on one forum too.  Folks have this romantic idea that everything was perfect back in 2009 or something... but New England and the Mid-Atlantic used to go at it all the time in the winter.  One person would post a storm is hitting NYC, another says DC jackpot, then SNE swarms in... some of those model run threads were brutal with fighting and wishcasting and regionalism.

Weather unfortunately creates it... we all want snow or exciting weather and we can't all get it.  We have issues inside our own forum sometimes, from the coastal areas vs. interior.   There's nothing like being in the same thread and watching people hang themselves while others high-five and then others trying to spin ways that this or that will happen.

Very true.  Lets lead the way then. 

Its always been there, too... I think people forget how rough the regionalism was when we were all on one forum too.  Folks have this romantic idea that everything was perfect back in 2009 or something... but New England and the Mid-Atlantic used to go at it all the time in the winter.  One person would post a storm is hitting NYC, another says DC jackpot, then SNE swarms in... some of those model run threads were brutal with fighting and wishcasting and regionalism.

Weather unfortunately creates it... we all want snow or exciting weather and we can't all get it.  We have issues inside our own forum sometimes, from the coastal areas vs. interior.   There's nothing like being in the same thread and watching people hang themselves while others high-five and then others trying to spin ways that this or that will happen.

What happened to was you had people fighting/trolling with each other but just jabbing at each other b/c they were friends, which is what happens here but there are people that don't realize that many here are friends and interact with each other outside of this forum.  When you have developed such strong relationships that have been developed over the years, it creates a much different perspective and atmosphere and that is one of the top reasons why this place has thrived, it's b/c of the chemistry developed and b/c of the people involved.  That is part of the reason as to why we probably see OT stuff come up b/c not only are we interacting on a scientific level but as friends as well and you're going to get casual discussion.  It's going to be near impossible to keep everything to a minimum or ran to the level some want, unless the direction is to get rid of all that, in which case aot of core people will just leave and move on and that's the end of a great thing.  

I don't recall anyone trolling HM at all. He doesn't have the type of board persona to let that happen anyway. He would stand up for himself if that happened. Does anyone else recall him being trolled on here? Half of us didn't understand half the things he was discussing so I remember there being lots of questions asked but not trolling

I don't recall anyone trolling HM at all. He doesn't have the type of board persona to let that happen anyway. He would stand up for himself if that happened. Does anyone else recall him being trolled on here? Half of us didn't understand half the things he was discussing so I remember there being lots of questions asked but not trolling

I think it was Messenger, but not positive.

Perhaps the staff should come up with a survey or a questionnaire to have the members answer to really gauge what need to be adjusted and fixed as well as how.  Create a thread with a list of several questions but only have the thread available for responses, not a discussion.

Some questions could include;

What do you like most about this place?

What do you like least about this place?  

If there is something you could change, what would that change be?  

What would you not change?  

I know several have already posted thoughts and what not, but going a survey route could really make it simpler to sort things out and then the staff could come up with a policy based on the results of what everyone wants.  The one issue is you just hope that everyone could be honest enough and answer honestly. 

Its obvious Ginx is not capable of participating in constructive conversation regarding this.

Lol well maybe but we are our kind of arseholes.

I think what happens is folks from outside the region do read this board regularly even if they don't post in it. I see names browsing from all different regions at times. So they know what goes on here. I don't see why if someone gives some advice we pounce all over them for being outside the region. This isn't a closed forum...and I know Forky comes here to stir the pot, but there are others that are actually just trying to give advice. And when its the same advice we see from several members within our forum, its probably not all that crazy.

We essentially shun any opinion of anyone outside our area. We will welcome them to post weather but no matter how much they read this forum, if they have any advice for us, we just tell them to f*k off if they are not within the New England boundaries.

when was the last time anyone here went into another subforum to complain? Thanks for finding that out. I disagree with your assessment.

when was the last time anyone here went into another subforum to complain? Thanks for finding that out. I disagree with your assessment.

lol...you are always looking for absolute proofs.

The last time was probably Pete but that took care of its self.

Please find the last time someone tried to give us helpful advice where they weren't "essentially" told to F off.

Agree to disagree.

lol...you are always looking for absolute proofs.

The last time was probably Pete but that took care of its self.

Please find the last time someone tried to give us helpful advice where they weren't "essentially" told to F off.

Agree to disagree.

The worst ever was when Will and Scott went into the NYC thread to post their thoughts and they were chastised like crazy for posting rational thoughts.  How they were treated were inexcusable. 

Too be honest, I can't even think of many times where anyone in SNE was extremely rude to someone coming in here for the first time or making posts.

The worst ever was when Will and Scott went into the NYC thread to post their thoughts and they were chastised like crazy for posting rational thoughts.  How they were treated were inexcusable. 

Too be honest, I can't even think of many times where anyone in SNE was extremely rude to someone coming in here for the first time or making posts.

thank you , I asked PF for proof about his statement and was told I need absolute proofs. I can make off the cuff statements all the time too,seems off base to me. I mean everyone here gets along with each other, don't know how this turned into that anyways. All I said was that the question was asked of a NE sub forum members what they thought and right away the posts were from people who have their own subforum. As far as everyday weather and banter goes I can not recall anyone being rejected off hand for their thoughts.

The worst ever was when Will and Scott went into the NYC thread to post their thoughts and they were chastised like crazy for posting rational thoughts. How they were treated were inexcusable.

Probably true, I can just guess that whatever Will or Scott had to say wasn't what they wanted to hear.

I remember this place used to slam some NYC mets during snowstorms if we didn't agree with their forecast...even if they didn't post here.

I don't think snow lovers will ever really just take a forecast they don't like/want without some rebuttal... But there's a right and a wrong way to do that. Even Phil posted the number one thing he wanted to change here was the way some respond to forecasts or discussions they don't like/want.

Archived