Toothache
Significant Severe Weather Threat Friday 10/4

tornadotony

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and nebraska still going.

attachicon.gif0308z_b.png

and yea, i did see the 00z nam, and well, northern IA looks like definite, i-90 and south in MN still possible for big trouble.

Jim take a look at this, a Marine layer off the lakes at the surface has cut the SB Cape off at the MN/IA border, nice easterly winds showing up, the rest of the column is still favorable and MU cape is elevated, if it doesn't dry out to much at the surface severe is still possible even as far north as MSP, just not Tornadic.

namUS_sfc_temp_021.gif

First runs of the RAP are coming in concerning tomorrow and the threat appears to be centered further south than the NAM (at least around 20z), but the indices are just as impressive if not more so than the NAM. Dew points are likely overdone a bit though, but the instability/shear combo is still dangerous looking to say the least.

Timing seems a bit slower to me with some of the recent runs of various models.  I actually like southeast SD, or northeast NE for a target at this point.  Love the high theta-e funneling right into that area later tomorrow afternoon juxtaposed with extremely impressive shear profiles.  I like the Yankton to Springfield South Dakota area the best at this point..

00z 4km NAM cape at 23z tomorrow.

bsmi.jpg

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NEBRASKA

1106 PM CDT THU OCT 03 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1103 PM TORNADO 1 WNW PALMYRA 40.71N 96.41W

10/03/2013 OTOE NE STORM CHASER

Per 10/11 news, cbs affiliate out of lincoln: highway 2 closed by bennet b/c of debris and power lines down on the road. Homes destroyed and storm spotters searching by foot. 

My old friend is still being run...Given the Marine layer this looks more likely to me.  The moderate outlook IMO may be dropped entirely, or localized along the Missouri River near Omaha possibly as far north as Sioux Falls.

hotlink:

cape_t2sfc_f21.png

A marine layer?  Seriously?

It's likely that the threat's going to be focused in IA given the growth of convection tonight, but to assert that the mdt is going to be dropped entirely or that there is a "marine layer" is simply asinine.

My old friend is still being run...Given the Marine layer this looks more likely to me.  The moderate outlook IMO may be dropped entirely, or localized along the Missouri River near Omaha possibly as far north as Sioux Falls.

hotlink:

So the RUC is going to be right because of the "marine layer"? I strongly doubt the moderate risk will be dropped given the agreement of higher potential from every other (more reliable) piece of guidance...maybe from MN, but not entirely.

Edit: I see Tony beat me to the punch.

Archived