KYC075-083-105-060115-

/O.NEW.KPAH.TO.W.0051.131006T0031Z-131006T0115Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KY

731 PM CDT SAT OCT 5 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHEASTERN FULTON COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...

SOUTHERN GRAVES COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...

SOUTHEASTERN HICKMAN COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...

* UNTIL 815 PM CDT

* AT 723 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM THAT HAS A HISTORY

OF PRODUCING A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR UNION CITY...

AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. THE CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS REPORTED

NEAR ELBRIDGE IN SOUTHWEST OBION COUNTY AT 652 PM.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...LAW ENFORCEMENT CONFIRMED TORNADO.

IMPACT...MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE TO

ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. FLYING DEBRIS

WILL BE DEADLY TO PEOPLE AND ANIMALS. TREE DAMAGE IS

LIKELY.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

FULTON...LYNNVILLE...SEDALIA...WATER VALLEY AND WINGO.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TO REPEAT...A TORNADO IS ON THE GROUND. TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN

INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOID

WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE OR OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE

CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

THIS STORM HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING TORNADOES. TAKE COVER IN A

BASEMENT OR STORM SHELTER NOW!

&&

LAT...LON 3671 8864 3651 8849 3649 8852 3650 8902

TIME...MOT...LOC 0028Z 239DEG 27KT 3639 8904

TORNADO...OBSERVED

What a day...

Ended up chasing with Lucio yesterday. Started out the day with a "pre-chase" on the way out the the main target. We got on an elevated severe warned just south of I-80, east of DSM. The storm had some interesting structure, a lowering for a time and penny sized hail. We then continued west and made it to Council Bluffs by late morning. After making a few jumps north/west to keep just north of the CU field we made a play on the first main storm that developed near Stanton. It took a while but finall became mature...At the same time another cell quickly deveoped to it's south. Both storms showed rotation and we witnessed lowerings/a wall clouds with both as we approached them. We made a play on the southern cell first, it then weakened and the northern cell became dominant. We jumped north and followed it, eventually making it to the N/S Route 15, which goes into Wayne, NE. Driving northward the rain-wrapped tornado developed off to our west. As we continued north the tornado quickly grew in size, and quickly approached. We ended up throwing it in reverse as we were not going to make it north before it hit. While in the process of moving back south we ended up getting caught in the outter part of the circulation and had the back window blown out. The tornado then continued northeast. After making a stop to fix things up, we made a play on what was a new tor warned cell that developed behind the initial Wayne tor cell. We made it to this cell as it pushed towards the SD border, west of Sioux City. The storm had a lowering, but struggled. We then continued east to try and make a play on the far eastern tor warned cell and were able to get even with it, but ended up calling it a chase afther other development started to make things messy. Below is a pic for the tor as it moved through Wayne, NE. The video above that andyhb posted is Adam's video of the tornado approaching and brushing us. I have GroPro video that overlaps his video, and then continues as it pushes away...That will be posted tonight.

Here's the GoPro video. As mentioned before...Adam's video covers the tornado as it approached and passed, there's a brief overlap and then the GoPro video covers the tor as it passes and pushes away.

Here's the GoPro video. As mentioned before...Adam's video covers the tornado as it approached and passed, there's a brief overlap and then the GoPro video covers the tor as it passes and pushes away.

Sweet catch by you guys yesterday.  Gotta feel good getting a tornado in October, let alone a monster wedge lol.  :thumbsup:

Here's my chase group's video from Sloan-Moville, IA, around 6:30-6:50pm. The first few minutes with the "multiple-vortex cone" was definitely the highlight from our vantage point. Hopefully the obnoxious dialogue can be excused by the fact that 30 minutes before, we were 99% certain we'd blown the day (went after the Wayne storm just late enough to cost any decent view, then the Sloan storm looked out of reach).

Chased with Steve Blum. Missed the Wayne, Tornado... but was on the supercell that produced the Macy tornado since its birth north of Fremont, NE. Passed through Oakland, then north of Lyons Nebraska when the RFD really started to cut into the wall cloud/meso and try to spin up a quick tornado. We only saw funnel cloud north of Lyons, but there was report of brief tornado.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1270022_541635952590539_2140553706_o.jpg

We followed it a bit, but it hard turned right and looked to traveling quickly northeast. Decision was to backtrack to Highway 51 to cross at Decatur to Iowa as it was our only option til Sioux City. We missed the Macy tornado... But we did see the afermath of the Macy/Sloan tornado which was a bunch of cars on the shoulder of I29. Had low contrast view of the meso and RFD cutting into it, but Drove into Sloan and took Dallas Ave north of Sloan witnessing quite a bit of light damage along the route - tree branches, power poles down, pivots turned. Finally got a view of a roping out funnel at 220th and Dallas looking to the northeast.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/739880_541593139261487_1643184583_o.jpg

Watched the meso that was developing near Moville, but called off the chase for that storm as it was getting darked. Then decided to get back to Sioux City to watch those storms enter Northwest Iowa, did not witness any more interesting action after that.

Got the forecasting down, pretty good at getting to where I need to go... just the tactical decisions while in chase - that comes with experience. Still for October, this was successful. Especially after missing the Hickman, Bennet tornado by about 5 or 10 minutes the night before.

Chased with Steve Blum. Missed the Wayne, Tornado... but was on the supercell that produced the Macy tornado since its birth north of Fremont, NE. Passed through Oakland, then north of Lyons Nebraska when the RFD really started to cut into the wall cloud/meso and try to spin up a quick tornado. We only saw funnel cloud north of Lyons, but there was report of brief tornado.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1270022_541635952590539_2140553706_o.jpg

We followed it a bit, but it hard turned right and looked to traveling quickly northeast. Decision was to backtrack to Highway 51 to cross at Decatur to Iowa as it was our only option til Sioux City. We missed the Macy tornado... But we did see the afermath of the Macy/Sloan tornado which was a bunch of cars on the shoulder of I29. Had low contrast view of the meso and RFD cutting into it, but Drove into Sloan and took Dallas Ave north of Sloan witnessing quite a bit of light damage along the route - tree branches, power poles down, pivots turned. Finally got a view of a roping out funnel at 220th and Dallas looking to the northeast.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/739880_541593139261487_1643184583_o.jpg

Watched the meso that was developing near Moville, but called off the chase for that storm as it was getting darked. Then decided to get back to Sioux City to watch those storms enter Northwest Iowa, did not witness any more interesting action after that.

Got the forecasting down, pretty good at getting to where I need to go... just the tactical decisions while in chase - that comes with experience. Still for October, this was successful. Especially after missing the Hickman, Bennet tornado by about 5 or 10 minutes the night before.

Great shot -- much "cleaner" with regard to lighting and lack of rain than most any other I've seen of tornadoes Friday, including my own. That Sloan supercell put on quite a show. I didn't realize what it had done back around the river until checking online after the chase.

The heat-of-the-moment tactical decisions are my downfall, too. I've improved a lot over the years on selecting targets and even storms, but the last-minute stuff is so much more difficult. It really helps to have multiple people in the vehicle with different tasks, which I was fortunate to have in this case. Solo chasing Friday would've been both dangerous and incredibly frustrating, I think.

Man, looking through these pictures makes you realize that it is a miracle that nobody got killed. The family that ZackH and I helped from their house South of Wayne told us that had this been at night, they would have never seen/heard it coming and would not have moved into their shelter. The father said the only way they knew of the Tornado Warning was from the mother, whom had just gotten home from her job at Wayne High School. He estimated the time between her arrival and the tornado's at about 3 minutes.

Jesus. From Jeff Piotrowski:

I used to think his video was impressive, but after his Joplin aftermath coverage (getting in victims face with a camera) and losing three researchers this year, I have nothing nice to say about pushing it right to the edge. At least Reed Timmer has a armored vehicle to get up close. It goes to show it's going to take more chaser fatalities before chasing habits change. I don't care if the video is cool or not, the days of getting the closest and most dramatic shot for the sake of video sales needs to end. 

I used to think his video was impressive, but after his Joplin aftermath coverage (getting in victims face with a camera) and losing three researchers this year, I have nothing nice to say about pushing it right to the edge. At least Reed Timmer has a armored vehicle to get up close. It goes to show it's going to take more chaser fatalities before chasing habits change. I don't care if the video is cool or not, the days of getting the closest and most dramatic shot for the sake of video sales needs to end.

As a general rule, I take a very "libertarian" view of chasing and don't like calling out others unless they're causing real problems or have a really bad attitude. With that said, I tend to agree with your feelings on this overall. Even as an extreme cynic, I truly believed El Reno would change people's habits, at least the more extreme contingent. Instead, as both Piotrowski's and Lucio's videos illustrated, we appear to have picked up right where we left off. They can do as they wish, but I wouldn't be surprised if your prediction comes true within a couple years.

As a general rule, I take a very "libertarian" view of chasing and don't like calling out others unless they're causing real problems or have a really bad attitude. With that said, I tend to agree with your feelings on this overall. Even as an extreme cynic, I truly believed El Reno would change people's habits, at least the more extreme contingent. Instead, as both Piotrowski's and Lucio's videos illustrated, we appear to have picked up right where we left off. They can do as they wish, but I wouldn't be surprised if your prediction comes true within a couple years.

Adam and I actually had a discussion about this while out chasing on 10/4, and our thoughts are the same. Everyone cares about what everyone else does too much, when really they should only care about their own chasing. The fact of the matter is some like to get close, while others like to chase from a given distance. There's no right or wrong here, as everyone is entitled to do what they want. If you like to chase from afar, cool...If you like to be right up in it like Timmer, awesome…But there doesn’t have to be a constant need to criticize others and their given chasing style. As for myself, I like to get close. I obviously know there's and huge risk involved, but I'm fine with that. As for 10/4…Did we get too close? Yea, I’ll admit that…But it wasn’t originally planned that way. The plan was to head north and get out northeast of it. The fast forward speed and quick growth in size didn’t let that happen though. When we saw that we weren’t going to make it we headed back south. Just because we have a plan in place doesn't mean it's going to work out though, as this case shows. That whole situation just goes to show the risk involved with getting close. Did that day and firsthand experience change my views on wanting to get close though? No, as I’m sure I’ll do it again.

As for getting close for video sales, that’s not always true either. Obviously I can’t speak for chasers such as Piotrowski and Timmer that have sold that type of video, but I haven’t. I have never sold any video/pictures or done any interviews, yet I enjoy risking it to get close.

Archived