• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Significant Severe Weather Threat Friday 10/4

tornadotony

Lol, every time I see those posted, the first word (or more appropriately, question) that immediately enters my head afterwards is "Why?"

It's not a perfect algorithm. I've seen 15% contours and no tornadoes at all. For me I like to see the overlap between helicity, strong shear and CAPE at a glance. Do you think the threat zone is significantly different than where the bullseye is?

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a perfect algorithm. I've seen 15% contours and no tornadoes at all. For me I like to see the overlap between helicity, strong shear and CAPE at a glance. Do you think the threat zone is significantly different than where the bullseye is?

What I meant was the seemingly nebulous change last year that made this product a lot less telling than it used to be when it came to predicting significant tornadic events, namely the lowering of several of the parameter levels needed when calculating the index.

What I meant was the seemingly nebulous change last year that made this product a lot less telling than it used to be when it came to predicting significant tornadic events, namely the lowering of several of the parameter levels needed when calculating the index.

Ah, the CAPE threshold is low and 1500m LCL is silly.

The SigTor parameter is basic and not perfect either, but here's where the SREF nails the highest values at 00z Sat. 5 on that scale is pretty high.

post-533-0-24649500-1380772480_thumb.jpg

Didn't they tweak it again this year?  Haven't looked at it very much, but I remember last year after they tweaked it the values were way higher than shown above for even marginal events. 

00z GFS paints a significant threat near and east of the SLP across a large portion of Eastern NE and IA (0-3 km SRH is anywhere from 250-500 m2/s2 across essentially the entire region) by 00z with SCP maxing out in Eastern NE including the Lincoln and Omaha metro areas.

There also appears to be some warm frontal action earlier on in N IA and perhaps S MN.

Didn't they tweak it again this year?  Haven't looked at it very much, but I remember last year after they tweaked it the values were way higher than shown above for even marginal events. 

They still look the same to me at least concerning the MLCAPE/MLLCL thresholds.

Such a high ceiling, but I'm beginning to see another potential mode of failure after trying to visualize trends: the trough is increasingly pinched off with a several-contour closed low, especially on the NAM. Ironic, given my concern was a positive-tilt mess by Friday a few days ago. I can envision a scenario where the best dynamics and even kinematics get held back west of the warm sector until late, then a squall line goes up. Such a tremendous environment to work with, though. Anxiously awaiting SWODY2.

The numbers seem less meaningful but the highlighted zone is generally fine IMO given what goes into the product. Some events it sucks.

One issue on highest end might be smallish area and limited time for highest impact.  Would be nice if the cap went tomorrow heh.

Such a high ceiling, but I'm beginning to see another potential mode of failure after trying to visualize trends: the trough is increasingly pinched off with a several-contour closed low, especially on the NAM. Ironic, given my concern was a positive-tilt mess by Friday a few days ago. I can envision a scenario where the best dynamics and even kinematics get held back west of the warm sector until late, then a squall line goes up. Such a tremendous environment to work with, though. Anxiously awaiting SWODY2.

I don't know...right now, the GFS and NAM both initiate by 21z, with what would likely end up being devastating results.  Even if it held off until sundown, I'm not 100% sold it would linear (ref. 4/9/11)...

This system does not sit well with me.

One thing that isn't present this time with the closed low is an awry vertical wind profile (specifically upper level backing), which is a big plus.

the areas I would definitely flag for day 2 slight risk would be from KAQP to KSTP in MN, KEAU to KMRJ WI, then most if not all of Iowa, from KUIN to KSGF in MO, to areas east of US 81 in NE and KS, and US 81 from KYKN to KBKX. mod risk, if they wanted to go with it, I would say i-90 in MN to US 61 in WI, KDBQ to KSDA in IA, and 30 mi either side of I-29 from KFSD to KAFK.

that;s just a first guess. feel free to make adjustments as you see fit.

the areas I would definitely flag for day 2 slight risk would be from KAQP to KSTP in MN, KEAU to KMRJ WI, then most if not all of Iowa, from KUIN to KSGF in MO, to areas east of US 81 in NE and KS, and US 81 from KYKN to KBKX. mod risk, if they wanted to go with it, I would say i-90 in MN to US 61 in WI, KDBQ to KSDA in IA, and 30 mi either side of I-29 from KFSD to KAFK.

that;s just a first guess. feel free to make adjustments as you see fit.

Not too sure they'll throw in a moderate yet (despite the apparent high potential), considering the differences in primary area affected between the various guidance.

true, but i sort of placed it where it would be the most likely warm sector, as I am extrapolating attm. I know things will change. but that sticks out to me as the higher danger area, if anywhere. I have to admit, areas north of RGK and RWF I am tentative on for even slight risk. but attm, I'll keep it in there until the warm front settles into place. but I-90 looks fairly likely for me in MN attm.

Not too sure they'll throw in a moderate yet (despite the apparent high potential), considering the differences in primary area affected between the various guidance.

I'd slap a moderate from Council Bluffs to Austin/Albert Lea since that area seems pretty primed to be slammed no matter whether the NAM or GFS timing wins out.

I'd slap a moderate from Council Bluffs to Austin/Albert Lea since that area seems pretty primed to be slammed no matter whether the NAM or GFS timing wins out.

True, there is a region there that seems to be overlapped between the two solutions.

00z RGEM is in range and has sped up. Low is in south-central NE by 18z Friday with some storms firing along the warm front in IA. (18z RGEM had the low in eastern CO) The focus point looks like IA/MN border (RGEM) and a secondary line with the cold front moves through after 00z, but looks relatively weak.

00z RGEM is in range and has sped up. Low is in south-central NE by 18z Friday with some storms firing along the warm front in IA. (18z RGEM had the low in eastern CO) The focus point looks like IA/MN border (RGEM) and a secondary line with the cold front moves through after 00z, but looks relatively weak.

GGEM counterpart is essentially right in line with the GFS with the SLP in northeastern NE by 00z Saturday.

You haven't seen a sounding like that since then. The event I keep picturing is 3/29/98, the Comfrey and St. Peter >1 mi wide wedges, only the parameter space is even more impressive. The ceiling for this event is terrifying IMO, especially for an area where this kind of threat is out of season right now.

This is the same day that popped into mind a few days ago. Scary to think about. NAM continues to nudge northward, and the 00z GFS shows this trend as well. 

New D2 stays slight (clearly leaning away from the NAM, and also considering the undercutting possibility) but...

Q2eMwQv.gif

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK    NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK  1246 AM CDT THU OCT 03 2013    VALID 041200Z - 051200Z     ..THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS ERN NEB...IA  SRN  MN...WI...NWRN MO...ERN KS...NWRN OK...     ..SYNOPSIS    LATEST GUIDANCE FROM THE GFS AND ECMWF MODELS SUGGESTS A SLOWER  EVOLUTION TO THE UPPER TROUGH THAN COMPARED TO THE MORE AGGRESSIVE  NAM MODEL WHICH IS FARTHER E WITH THE COLD FRONT AND DEEPER WITH THE  UPPER LOW VALID AT 00Z. FOR THIS OUTLOOK...THE SLOWER SOLUTION IS  PREFERRED.    DURING THE DAY...LOW PRESSURE IS FORECAST TO DEEPEN OVER WRN KS AND  INTO CNTRL NEB...WITH A NEARLY STATIONARY BOUNDARY FROM FSD/SUX EWD  ACROSS NRN IA OR SRN MN AND INTO WRN WI. THIS BOUNDARY WILL BE  REINFORCED BY EPISODES OF RAIN AND STORMS THROUGHOUT THE  PERIOD...BUT MAY RETURN SLIGHTLY AS A WARM FRONT AHEAD OF THE  DEVELOPING LOW. SEVERE STORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE IN ASSOCIATION WITH  THIS FRONT WELL AHEAD OF THE MAIN SYSTEM.    BY LATE AFTERNOON...A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL EXTEND SWWD FROM THE  ERN NEB LOW...INTO CNTRL KS...NWRN OK AND THE TX PANHANDLE. A  RAPIDLY DEVELOPING SQUALL LINE IS EXPECTED...WITH THE MOST INTENSE  STORMS FROM ERN NEB INTO IA...AND PERHAPS SRN MN BY EVENING.     ..ERN NEB...IA...SRN MN...WRN WI    SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS MAY BE ONGOING ALONG THE WARM FRONT EARLY  WITH A THREAT OF HAIL. DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH RAIN FALLS ALONG THE  FRONT...IT COULD MODULATE ITS LATITUDINAL LOCATION. HEATING WILL  OCCUR S OF THE FRONT...WITH MODERATE INSTABILITY DEVELOPING. AS THE  UPPER TROUGH NEARS...SHEAR PROFILES WILL INCREASE...WITH LARGE  LOOPING HODOGRAPHS NEAR THE WARM FRONT. THIS WILL CONDITIONALLY  FAVOR SUPERCELLS WITH LARGE HAIL AND A FEW TORNADOES. THE GFS AND  EURO BOTH HAVE STRONG CONVECTIVE SIGNALS ACROSS NRN IA...FAR SRN  MN...AND SWRN WI DURING THE AFTERNOON...SUGGESTING CLUSTERS OF  SEVERE STORMS ARE PROBABLE.    MEANWHILE TO THE SW...A LOW PRESSURE TROUGH WILL DEEPEN AHEAD OF A  STRONG COLD FRONT WITH SFC LOW CENTER ACROSS ERN NEB BY 21-00Z. GFS  SHOWS CLASSIC LOADED GUN TYPE SOUNDINGS OVER ERN NEB AHEAD OF THE  LOW...WITH STRONG CONVERGENCE AND DEEP MIXED LAYERS JUST W OF THE  FRONT AT PEAK HEATING. WITH LARGE HODOGRAPHS AND STRONG  FORCING...THE AREA FROM ERN NEB INTO CNTRL IA APPEARS TO HAVE THE  GREATEST THREAT OF TORNADIC SUPERCELLS. IF THE COLD AIR SURGES  QUICKER THAN FORECAST...A MORE LINEAR STRUCTURE COULD RESULT...BUT  WITH EMBEDDED ROTATION AND LEWPS CAPABLE OF SIGNIFICANT STRAIGHT  LINE WINDS.    A MODERATE RISK COULD BE ISSUED IN LATER OUTLOOKS AS PREDICTABILITY  OF THIS SYSTEM INCREASES.

For once I can look into chasing within the central/Northern Iowa area. Thank you for all the information and insights into this very interesting event about to unfold.

We'll keep following it. I'm new to the area and will be heading into the same general vicinity as you tomorrow. We can all learn from each other!

Looking like we will possibly have up to 3 cars going out from UND if things stay constant. Early cloud cover and the large scale forcing potentially creating a convective mess near the low and WF are my two biggest fears. If storms can stay relatively isolated near the TP then the environment is looking extremely impressive.

Moderate Risk text:

..THERE IS A MDT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS PORTIONS OF IA/SOUTHERN
MN...

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST/UPPER MS
RIVER VALLEY TO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS...

...SYNOPSIS...
AN AMPLIFYING UPPER TROUGH/ASSOCIATED POLAR JET CURRENTLY OVER THE
GREAT BASIN/CENTRAL ROCKIES IS EXPECTED TO TURN MORE
EAST-NORTHEASTWARD AS IT REACHES THE NORTH-CENTRAL PLAINS/UPPER
MIDWEST ON FRIDAY...ALTHOUGH SOME TIMING/PLACEMENT DIFFERENCES DO
STILL EXIST REGARDING THE UPPER TROUGH/FRONTAL LOCATIONS. IN ADVANCE
OF A NORTHEASTWARD-MOVING SURFACE LOW...A WARM FRONT WILL GRADUALLY
SPREAD NORTHWARD ACROSS THE MIDDLE MO VALLEY/UPPER MIDWEST/UPPER MS
RIVER VALLEY...WHILE A COLD FRONT ACCELERATES SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS
THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PLAINS THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT.

...MIDDLE MO VALLEY/UPPER MIDWEST/UPPER MS RIVER VALLEY...
INITIALLY...ELEVATED TSTMS ARE LIKELY TO BE ONGOING NEAR/NORTH OF
THE WARM FRONT...WITH SOME LINGERING POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE HAIL EARLY
IN THE PERIOD WITHIN A CORRIDOR FROM EASTERN NEB/IA INTO OTHER PARTS
OF THE UPPER MS RIVER VALLEY. THIS CONVECTION COULD MODULATE THE
NORTHWARD-ADVANCEMENT OF THE WARM FRONT DURING THE DAY. STRONG
HEATING WILL OTHERWISE OCCUR SOUTH OF THE WARM FRONT AND TO THE EAST
OF THE ADVANCING COLD FRONT...WITH MODERATE INSTABILITY /2000+ J PER
KG MLCAPE/ DEVELOPING ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR /OUTSIDE OF ANY
POTENTIAL OUTFLOW/. HEIGHT FALLS/INCREASING FORCING FOR ASCENT WILL
OCCUR IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE APPROACHING UPPER TROUGH...WITH
LOW-MID LEVEL SOUTH-SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS STEADILY INCREASING OVER THE
REGION THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT...ACCENTUATED BY 500 MB SOUTHWESTERLY
WINDS INCREASING TO 80-95 KT FRIDAY NIGHT.

THE MOST PROBABLE/CERTAIN FOCUS FOR DEEP CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT AND
ASSOCIATED SEVERE POTENTIAL FRIDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING WILL LIKELY BE
FOCUSED NEAR/EAST OF THE SURFACE TRIPLE POINT...INCLUDING AREAS FROM
EASTERN NEB/SOUTHEAST SD INTO IA AND SOUTHERN MN/SOUTHWEST
WI...ALTHOUGH THIS FOCUS COULD BE SHUNTED A BIT SOUTH PENDING EARLY
DAY OUTFLOW/EFFECTIVE WARM FRONTAL LOCATION. THE EXACT EXTENT OF
STORM COVERAGE NEAR THE COLD FRONT AND WITHIN THE WARM SECTOR IS A
BIT UNCERTAIN. BUT IN GENERAL...NEAR/JUST SOUTH OF THE WARM FRONT
AND AHEAD OF THE SURFACE LOW IS WHERE LARGE LOOPING HODOGRAPHS AND
SUPPORT RISK FOR SUPERCELLS INCLUDING LARGE HAIL AND TORNADOES /ONE
OR TWO POSSIBLY STRONG/ SHOULD BE MAXIMIZED...WITH POTENTIAL FOR
DAMAGING WINDS AS WELL.

They don't bring up the cold front issue in that update which is a good sign. 

I'm not sure why though, as it will certainly be an issue south of the immediate triple point area. (If I were chasing I would definitely stay north of I-80.)

Actually the more I think about it the similarities to 3/29/28 are uncanny, maybe shifted a bit south to straddle the IA-MN border.

I'm not sure why though, as it will certainly be an issue south of the immediate triple point area. (If I were chasing I would definitely stay north of I-80.)

Actually the more I think about it the similarities to 3/29/28 are uncanny, maybe shifted a bit south to straddle the IA-MN border.

You mean 3/29/98?

Archived