1000 PM CDT.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
  SEVERAL TORNADOES LIKELY WITH A FEW INTENSE TORNADOES POSSIBLE
  SEVERAL VERY LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 3 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE
  SEVERAL DAMAGING WIND GUSTS WITH A FEW SIGNIFICANT GUSTS TO 75
    MPH POSSIBLE

70/30 Tor. Incredible for this area.

Tornadoes

Probability of 2 or more tornadoes                           High (70%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes     Mod (30%)

Wind

Probability of 10 or more severe wind events            Mod (50%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots        Mod (30%)

Hail

Probability of 10 or more severe hail events             High (70%)

Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches          Mod (50%)

Combined Severe Hail/Wind

Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events High (90%)

19z HRRR holds the best off until after 7, and then a fairly healthy squall line crosses most of Iowa. I just have big time doubts about widespread tornadoes.

Models have a spin up time necessary for the first few hours they run.  Given that we're inside that time range, it's time to stop using them and actually look at what's really happening, and what's happening is the likely beginning of a tornado outbreak.

One storm doesn't sell an outbreak and I'm not saying it won't happen, but I've been watching the sky here for hours as well as radar and satellite trends. Sure, a few storms and probably a squall line after, but we're not seeing many supercells at all.

Maybe it's just my mind being stuck in New England, as this is the first time I'm actually out in a legit threat. Just stating my opinions.

This is why living and dying by a Hi-Res model is dangerous... especially while nowcasting.

I'm not living or dying by any model. In fact, I've mainly been focusing on parameters all day and barely paid attention to simulated radar minute details. Since there was some concern about my opinion, I simply cited a model run. Didn't say it was set in stone.

I'm not living or dying by any model. In fact, I've mainly been focusing on parameters all day and barely paid attention to simulated radar minute details. Since there was some concern about my opinion, I simply cited a model run. Didn't say it was set in stone.

You supplied no other reasoning and have no other reasoning you back up your assertion.  We already have several cells maturing and several more in their incipient stages in an environment that is honestly primed for strong-violent tornado activity.

You supplied no other reasoning and have no other reasoning you back up your assertion. We already have several cells maturing and several more in their incipient stages in an environment that is honestly primed for strong-violent tornado activity.

Okay, we'll see if we get numerous strong-violent tornadoes tonight. I hope you're right. Perhaps I just need a breather, 1200 miles driven on no sleep, maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me.

Archived