Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first day of October is looking pretty warm. The NAM shows 925mb temps in the low 20's Celsius while the GFS is slightly cooler. Low to mid 80's are likely so MKE might have a chance at the daily record of 86.

If the wind isn't SE. Otherwise it'll probably be like yesterday.

I got 80° in my point for Tuesday.

I haven't seen any blues in the region on CPC's longer range outlooks for over a month, seriously.  Time for that to change, even the current 6-10 day outlook has warmer than normal conditions through most of the northern tier.  Not buying the Euro I think.

The CPC modeling has a warm bias intentionally built in. Look at the next year of CPC maps, they are ONLY above normal. Locally 10 out of my last 14 months have been below normal. If you could see the archive, 14 out of 14 months would be shown as above normal on the long term outlook.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=3

OCN - OPTIMAL CLIMATE NORMALS - A FORECAST BASED ON PERSISTING THE AVERAGE OF THE LAST 10 YEARS FOR TEMPERATURE AND THE LAST 15 YEARS FOR PRECIPITATION.

12z models are farther north with the late week storm, with a very quick hit of colder air.  The 12z Euro has the coldest morning(Saturday) only dropping to the 40s across the region, followed by a surge back into the 70s (at least here in the west) by Monday.  The GFS is clearer and calmer, allowing for possible frost down into DLL's area.

The CPC modeling has a warm bias intentionally built in. Look at the next year of CPC maps, they are ONLY above normal. Locally 10 out of my last 14 months have been below normal. If you could see the archive, 14 out of 14 months would be shown as above normal on the long term outlook.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=3

OCN - OPTIMAL CLIMATE NORMALS - A FORECAST BASED ON PERSISTING THE AVERAGE OF THE LAST 10 YEARS FOR TEMPERATURE AND THE LAST 15 YEARS FOR PRECIPITATION.

They were pretty accurate for much of the summer, showing numerous deep troughs modeled well with the blue shading.  The last month, though, it has literally been torchy each daily update, almost without fail.

Storm for the end of the week looks much more typical of what we would see in early Oct compared to the one shown earlier ripping up through Indiana. 

Yeah I completely agree, I would also not sleep on the severe potential with this one for the region. The wind fields are very good and with several days of warmth and a moist flow off of the Gulf of Mexico, I would not be surprised to see instability parameters go upward as we progress into later in the week.

Yeah I completely agree, I would also not sleep on the severe potential with this one for the region. The wind fields are very good and with several days of warmth and moist flow off of the Gulf of Mexico, I would not be surprised to see instability parameters go upward as we progress into later in the week.

Heck yeah, this is looking mighty interesting.  :popcorn:

Heck yeah, this is looking mighty interesting.  :popcorn:

It has been a while since we had something interesting to track severe wise for the region, I look forward to this potential, and the subsequent ones this fall, the Pacific Jet is very strong this fall and could lead to several chances going forward into early November.

OCN - OPTIMAL CLIMATE NORMALS - A FORECAST BASED ON PERSISTING THE AVERAGE OF THE LAST 10 YEARS FOR TEMPERATURE AND THE LAST 15 YEARS FOR PRECIPITATION.

Alright, I'm gonna try to explain this so maybe it won't keep coming up. One of the meteorologists addressed this at one of the board's conferences several years ago. I don't want to misquote him but basically the longer range outlooks are heavily influenced by trends in recent years. The farther out you go in time (i.e. months), the less reliable signals/indices there are to formulate a forecast.

Personally, I almost never look at anything beyond a few months. It's pretty much a waste of time even if it only takes seconds.

Alright, I'm gonna try to explain this so maybe it won't keep coming up. One of the meteorologists addressed this at one of the board's conferences several years ago. I don't want to misquote him but basically the longer range outlooks are heavily influenced by trends in recent years. The farther out you go in time (i.e. months), the less reliable signals/indices there are to formulate a forecast.

Personally, I almost never look at anything beyond a few months. It's pretty much a waste of time even if it only takes seconds.

I agree with this, the most I would go out is about 3-5 months and even then whatever you see is subject to refinement as you get closer to the time period. It is however not a conspiracy that a few are trying to hint at that the CPC outlooks are bias toward warmth.

Today just goes to show that we are in October now and not July with the staying power of the fog/stratus.

DET is still clear as of 11 AM with temps approaching 70*F (compared to DTW which has dense fog and temps still below 60*F). Typically, at this point in the heating cycle, I wouldn't even be worried about the fog/stratus advecting into DET, but the satellite continues to suggest otherwise, as well as the dewpoints which have risen to 60*F.

Archived