• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Just looking at the 18z things do look likely for the mountains I would say for a significant event. Also look at how cols it is going to get. This HP means business. Not really sure what the EURO has for us.

Tough call on this but with deep moisture...plenty of cold air that should overlap..it seems likely that there will be snow in the mtns.  One interesting thing is the winds should be more out of the North than the typical NW flow setup...with  possible lake enhanced moisture coming into play due to the expected parcel trajectory. Of course-there will be some sinking air associated with the huge high pressure coming in and associated dry air.  I am going to take a closer look at the 12Z guidance then make a decision whether to head to the mtn top to partake in the fun.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough call on this but with deep moisture...plenty of cold air that should overlap..it seems likely that there will be snow in the mtns.  One interesting thing is the winds should be more out of the North than the typical NW flow setup...with  possible lake enhanced moisture coming into play due to the expected parcel trajectory. Of course-there will be some sinking air associated with the huge high pressure coming in and associated dry air.  I am going to take a closer look at the 12Z guidance then make a decision whether to head to the mtn top to partake in the fun.

Good call on the flow setup not being the typical NW but from the north. Ya seems like it is still to early to nail down the details. A lot of variance from the GFS and the Euro on the details. Well if you don't make it Mike I will post lots of pics for ya.

Gfs snowfall product actually has the most depicted over the Plott Balsam range..nature is daring me to come to the mtn top! :)

It does look the SW mountains are going to be in the sweet spot. That is one the GFS has been consistent on if the SW mountains getting the best moisture feed.

looks like the mountains of SW North Carolina are in for a good 3 to 6. possibly more at the highest elevations.

Ya as Mike mentioned this looks like the southern half of the mountains will do the best. Hard to say on totals but with the temps crashing and the upper levels I think there will be some nice snow totals coming out.

Winds to veer to the NE suggesting some enhancement in the Balsams instead of the usual TN border areas. Still wind at 850 probably less than 25 knots so orothograhics minimal. Going to pass on this and head to Northern Michigan tomorrow for some fun in the snow instead! Pics to follow if I get any.

Winds to veer to the NE suggesting some enhancement in the Balsams instead of the usual TN border areas. Still wind at 850 probably less than 25 knots so orothograhics minimal. Going to pass on this and head to Northern Michigan tomorrow for some fun in the snow instead! Pics to follow if I get any.

Ya Mike looks like the GFS has really dried up the QPF from this frontal passage. Oh well only November right. We might see an inch coming from what the models are putting out.

Snow falling in Gatlinburg: http://viewhd.gatlinburg-getaway.com/

Per the NASA rain gauge network..about 0.1" to 0.18" of liquid has fallen at the base of the Smokies this morning..so I suspect at least 1 to 2" of snow has already fallen in the highest elevations. http://gg.gsfc.nasa.gov/  The Clingman's Dome site shows nothing...likely meaning that all that has fallen has been in frozen form and sitting in the rain gauge un-counted. (Newfound Gap at least 0.04" of precip) 

Already closed parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway due to snow per GSNP Tweet one hour ago.

"Blue Ridge Parkway from US441 to US19 at Socco Gap is being closed due to snow and icy conditions."

Looks like the precip associated with the cold front has come and gone. Next up is a band associated with some post-frontal action. (Probably some lift from the right rear quadrant of strong jet is helping out.)

It is worth noting that the new Blue Ridge Parkway Weather site basically missed this entire event:

http://brpweather.com/forecast/Balsam%20Gap

For all the specific sites..it talks about a few sprinkles ending as flurries and suggests no impact to driving on the Parkway today...

It appears the Euro is the model of choice in the upcoming scenario. It develops a 980 mb low associated with a negative tilt trough near Wisconsin..and keeps most of the cold air well North of the NC mountains with a quick progressive pattern to follow. (The latest GFS is starting to come around to the 0Z Euro solution.) Hence it appears the next upslope event possibility will be associated with another cold shot of air that might be in the vicinity around November 25. However, unless the trough deepens a little more than depicted by the model-that next shot of cold air may also tend to stay North. (Some indications of a negative NAO developing which might help the cause.)

It appears the Euro is the model of choice in the upcoming scenario. It develops a 980 mb low associated with a negative tilt trough near Wisconsin..and keeps most of the cold air well North of the NC mountains with a quick progressive pattern to follow. (The latest GFS is starting to come around to the 0Z Euro solution.) Hence it appears the next upslope event possibility will be associated with another cold shot of air that might be in the vicinity around November 25. However, unless the trough deepens a little more than depicted by the model-that next shot of cold air may also tend to stay North. (Some indications of a negative NAO developing which might help the cause.)

I was also noticing this overnight Mike. Really the rest of the month can be sort of meh. I am really looking down the road towards December when the indicies are more favorable and we get into meteorological winter.

Archived