joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has started snowing lightly here in Haywood.

Locally, it looks like the moisture layer ended being two shallow not to mention the lack of any snow growth in the clouds ruined this very marginal setup.

On the flip side-the moist clouds on the ridges coupled with high winds and temps in the teens resulted in a lot of riming last night.

I hope to have some pics later from the top of my Mtn.

Great disco in here, great job peeps of WNC and other areas. Love it.

Seen some great pics on Twitter from Boone with some snow on the ground and surrounding area. Looks so picturesque there this morning. So wish I was there.

I see the road to cligmans dome is closed due to snow and ice and the road to Mt Mitchell is closed this morning with .25 of snow and ice on the roadways.

BRRRR!!!! too, with 14* at Mt Mitchell and a 1* windchill earlier and down to 18* on Beech Mtn this morning.

Great disco in here, great job peeps of WNC and other areas. Love it.

Seen some great pics on Twitter from Boone with some snow on the ground and surrounding area. Looks so picturesque there this morning. So wish I was there.

I see the road to cligmans dome is closed due to snow and ice and the road to Mt Mitchell is closed this morning with .25 of snow and ice on the roadways.

BRRRR!!!! too, with 14* at Mt Mitchell and a 1* windchill earlier and down to 18* on Beech Mtn this morning.

Was just up on Climgmans Dome Sunday...already felt like Winter then.  I think they normally close it December 1. I assume it will reopen with the milder pattern that is going to develop.

Looks like 2" of snow was the most that fell in NC...around Sugar.  Probably time to put away the snow shovels for the time being until the next step-up sometime in November it appears

Was just up on Climgmans Dome Sunday...already felt like Winter then.  I think they normally close it December 1. I assume it will reopen with the milder pattern that is going to develop.

Looks like 2" of snow was the most that fell in NC...around Sugar.  Probably time to put away the snow shovels for the time being until the next step-up sometime in November it appears

You are spot on Mike. This was just a little pre apetitte for the upcoming winter. Yeah they would most likely re open the roads the next few days one would think.

Thanks for your posts here too, very informative and enjoy them greatly.

Interesting stat from Bastardi this. Morning:

@BigJoeBastardi: Boone NC 3rd measurable snow in Oct in last 6 years,only 11 total in 83 yrs.

I am not sure if original source of this was Raysweather...I missed reading Rays column Friday and Saturday.

Update:

Here is the original source and is from Baker Perry at ASU:

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/story/Boones-11th-October-snow-since-1929-id-012974

Boone's 11th October snow since 1929

by Anna Oakes

Between a half-inch and inch of snow coated the grass and fallen leaves in Boone Friday morning -- a cold shock to tourists, perhaps, but likely not a surprise to locals. Halloween week will mark the one-year anniversary of the infamous Hurricane Sandy-spawned snowstorm that dumped nearly a half-foot of snow on the area, after all.

But snow in October -- measurable snow, at least -- is not as common in Boone as the past few seasons would lead you to believe.

Appalachian State University geography professor Baker Perry noted that the National Weather Service cooperative observer station in Boone has reported measurable snowfall (which is a tenth of an inch or more) in October for 11 of the 85 years since 1929.

"That is approximately 13 percent of the years," Perry said.

Measurable snow has fallen in Boone in three of the last six Octobers, he noted, including a tenth of an inch on Oct. 28, 2008, last year's "Frankenstorm" and this year's event.

The earliest measurable snow recorded in Boone was on Oct. 17, 1977, when two inches fell, said Robert Stonefield, meteorologist for the National Weather Service office in Blacksburg, Va.

Of course, October snows are undoubtedly more common in the High Country's higher-elevated communities, including Beech Mountain, Sugar Mountain and others.

Friday's snow ushered in a frigid drop in temperatures, bottoming out at 19 degrees at Watauga Medical Center between 5:30 and 7:30 a.m. Saturday, according to National Weather Service data.

Icy conditions caused a few slick spots on the roads Friday morning, contributing to a handful of vehicle accidents, staff at the Watauga County Communications Center said. In Avery County, schools were on a two-hour delay.

Since 1975, Watauga County Schools have closed for inclement weather on five October days, according to the school system's website, but the data does not indicate if the closings were because of snow or because of other types of weather.

Temperatures are forecasted to rebound this week, with highs in the upper 50s and lower 60s and lows in the 40s, according to NWS.

GFS and Euro showing a little something the first of November with this trough coming in that should be watched for some more flakes in the air.

I'm thinking positive NAO etc will keep things pretty quite locally until the third or fourth weeks in November. After that point, negative NAO's and the other normal big factors will start to come together for some mountain snow fun.

I'm thinking positive NAO etc will keep things pretty quite locally until the third or fourth weeks in November. After that point, negative NAO's and the other normal big factors will start to come together for some mountain snow fun.

Ah should have been more detailed Mike. I am looking at the morning of the 3rd particularly with the cold front coming in that morning. Ya after that things look to be pretty progressive through the rest of November.

I think the Euro was suggesting a minor event in your time frame but dosent even look as significant as the he last meager event so wasnt paying much attention. Hopefully the GFS will start trending in that direction.

Ya right know with as slow as it is would be nice to just see some more flakes even if there was no accumulation. Not really looking for anything significant until December or into January. We will see how the pattern progresses through the first of December.

Ya I had posted about the wind advisory in the October discussion thread. Looks like some serious wind incoming. Driving home from work this morning I noticed that the wind had already picked up around here. Some small limps down and lots of leaves blowing everywhere. Kind of an eerie feeling outside this morning.

No snow coming but this is worth mentioning in the Mtn thread while we wait for the next snow event.

Looks like another Mtn top wind storm on tap for tonight. Sustained winds to hurricane force seem possible above 6000 feet. Latest NAM shows a low-level Jet max of 65 knots at mtn top level around midnight out of the SW. Since the wind is from the SW-at my mtn top..upstream concave terrain features funnel the wind locally as it forced to race up the side of the mtn and then spill over into Campbell creek/Maggie valley between a saddle on the ridge where my property is located. It is a nice example of terrain forced flow under low static stability conditions which tend to offsite the fact that model wind regimes tend to overperform under WAA conditions at night as measured at the surface. I have done transverses along the ridge during previous similar setups where near calm conditions reside at local mtn peak of Mt Lyn Lowry while a gale rages at my observation tower a couple of hundred feet lower down along the ridge. I won't be on the mtn top tonight so the wind will likely only impact the local bear population!

+1

Superb analysis and a great post.

Thanks! Looks like it will be a rough night up on the mtn peaks. (Current webcam pic shows it already is likely nasty/ominous on my mtn top.) There are a couple of weather researchers up top today so perhaps they will pass on a report later. Some low end gales may have already started.

Mike:

Do you have a public access link for the Cam?

Thank you

Mike:

Do you have a public access link for the Cam?

Thank you

This is from near Waynesville looking towards Mt. Lyn Lowry:

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/BuddynOreo/1/show.html

This one is actually on Mt. Lyn Lowry at the 5100 feet level:

http://webpages.charter.net/ralmasy/

This is one is at Balsam looking towards the mtn although it is mostly hidden by trees:

http://brpwebcams.org/cam/5/1

A webcam at the very top is still in the planning stages.

NWS Greenville is suggesting the possibilty of a heavy snow shower at the very top of Mt Mitchell tomorrow as very steep lapse rates may generate convective type precip..anybody going up there?

Have to work but this is what I was alluding to earlier this week talking about some snow coming in especially Sunday morning. Of course the highest elevations would benefit from this.

0.07 inches of precip melted in rain gauge on Clingmans Dome and 0.02 melted on Mt Lyn Lowry per NASA realtime data today. That means that last night around 1/2" of snow accumulated above 6000 feet but melted today. Pleased that the forecast earlier in the week did well.

Archived