Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jackson, KY radar shows light returns starting to build & head towards the Mnts. I think it's going to be a nice event for you 85. Hope it's the start of a great snowy winter!

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=jkl&loop=yes

I have been looking at that Don. Ya I think we are off to a good start. We have about an inch and a half know but the winds is just ripping. We have seen all kinds of snow devels this morning.

Lol Joe. Man keep hope alive I think the upslope will really kick in but ya the front side of this was not impressive to say the least.

Radar returns lighting up as the Lake Michigan moisture plume is rapidly moving SSE. Eyeballing it looks like is headed straight for a wide area along the TN line in a few hours. Radar loops shows the lead echos.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=jkl&loop=yes

Radar returns lighting up as the Lake Michigan moisture plume is rapidly moving SSE. Eyeballing it looks like is headed straight for a wide area along the TN line in a few hours. Radar loops shows the lead echos.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=jkl&loop=yes

Those returns are looking more and more impressive as the plume out.

From Ray's weather:

"Thus far this morning, snow amounts in the mountains have ranged from a dusting to two inches. The most reported so far has been 5.5 inches in extreme northern Madison county, & 4 inches in Bethel in western Watauga county. If you have any snow, how much do you have? Please provide amount and location. Thanks & be safe today!"

Moderate Snow

Temp - 18.3

Wind - 12/g 23

Nice!

Webcam pic from Beech-near blizzard? (Probably more fog than snow.) Winds are gusting to 30 mph on the top of Beech.

Below shows a webcam looking towards Mt. Lyn Lowry..downsloping is evident immediately downwind of the mtn.

post-9361-0-35379500-1385569768_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-89462300-1385570404_thumb.jp

I'm at 3500 ft SW of Spruce Pine. Been snowing since early morning hours occasionally moderate. Temps in mid 20's. Probably around an inch total but blowing around. Was out all morning with the kids - football and tubing

Nice! Kids always love the snow. My four year old just loves going out and making snow balls. Went into Asheville for some Christmas shopping. What a difference it is from home. They had maybe a dusting and the sun was out off and on but when I cam back home it looked as if it never stopped snowing. Measure in a couple of spots and we have around 2.5 the 3 inches. Will post pics a little later. These bands have been very impressive an the temps continue to plummet. Temp down to 16 degrees and still snowing hard.

At around 3PM-about 2" on top compared to 5" just a fews miles away and much lower down on the Northside of Maggie Valley. Downsloping off the Smokies prevented much snow from entering Jackson County this time arond although I'm rather surprised by the significant snow report so close by. Still-the webcam view from Hemphill showed that area hampered all day..while the Mt Lyn Lowry viewed showed passing sun. I remain a little puzzled on how to determine ahead of time when upslope snow seems to have no trouble making this fardownwind from the TN line while other times its a struggle. I assume it is something to do with the presence of a shortwave(omega), adequate moisture, inversion height, snowgrowth in the clouds, and exact wind direction/strength.  Hmmm.

Archived