12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather outlets have not really ben putting much stock in the front side of this storm but I think we could see a couple of hours of snow from the front of the precipitation. I could be wrong but the GFS has been hammering away at this idea for several runs.

Newer runs still show it and now the NWS Greenville finally made mention of it in their forecast discussion and are considering issuing an advisory about it.

I will take a look at the 12 Z models to see if it can be nailed down a bit further. The backside of the storm now looks even more meager than it did before.

Newer runs still show it and now the NWS Greenville finally made mention of it in their forecast discussion and are considering issuing an advisory about it.

I will take a look at the 12 Z models to see if it can be nailed down a bit further. The backside of the storm now looks even more meager than it did before.

Ya I really like our chances on the front end more than the backend for this system.

12Z RGEM still looking bullish on front end wintry mix...and some back side snow

12Z NAM says...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOMWiOekcBU

Lol Ya NAM has not been as bullish as the GFS but I think we may just come out of this with a nice wintery event on the front side. Could be reading into the GFS more than I should but I like it.

I found the NWS Greenville forecast discussion rather interesting.  As previously note, some of the forecast soundings that I have been looking at really don't match the reality in NW upslope events.  I see that they added my mtn top to the winter advisory (Northern Jackson) but not really expecting anything there tomorrow morning except perhaps some rime ice due to foggy..windy..below freezing conditions.

IN
FACT...SHORT RANGE MODELS INDICATE THAT H85 TEMPS WILL DROP FROM 3C
AT 6Z TO -7C BY LATE SUNDAY MORNING. IN ADDITION...H85 WINDS ON BOTH
THE 12Z NAM AND GFS HAVE TRENDED STRONGER SINCE THIS TIME
YESTERDAY...INCREASING FROM 25 KTS ON YESTERDAY/S RUNS TO AS GREAT
AS 35 KTS ON THE NAM TODAY. HOWEVER...FORECAST SOUNDINGS ACROSS THE
MTNS INDICATE MOISTURE ONLY IN THE LOWEST 2KT WITH A H75 INVERSION
AS GREAT AS 2C. A PURE TOP DOWN APPLICATION WOULD SUPPORT ONLY
FZRA/FZDZ AS THE P-TYPE FOR LATE TONIGHT ACROSS THE TN BORDER
COUNTIES. HOWEVER...EXPERIENCE REVEALS THAT A TEXT BOOK APPROACH TO
NWF PRECIP DOES NOT ALWAYS YIELD THE BEST FORECAST
. I ANTICIPATE
THAT PRECIP WILL FALL AS RAIN/FZRA THROUGH LATE TONIGHT.
..THEN
MIXING WITH LIGHT SNOW/SNOW GRAINS AROUND DAWN. AS MOISTURE ERODES
AFTER SUNRISE...UPSLOPE AREAS MAY OBSERVE FZDZ AND RIME ICING UNTIL
NOON. OVERALL...SNOW ALONG THE TN LINE MAY RANGE FROM 0.25 TO 0.5 OF
AN INCH. FREEZING RAIN/DZ WILL BE MORE COMMON...ACCUMULATIONS
REMAINING A TENTH OF AN INCH OR LESS. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY
APPEARS WELL PLACED AND TIMED...I WILL ADD NORTHERN JACKSON CO.
ELSEWHERE...CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN BREEZY AND COOL ON
SUNDAY...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE MTNS. HIGHS SHOULD RANGE FROM THE
U30S TO L40S WITHIN THE MTN VALLEYS TO LOW 50S ACROSS THE PIEDMONT. 

I found the NWS Greenville forecast discussion rather interesting.  As previously note, some of the forecast soundings that I have been looking at really don't match the reality in NW upslope events.  I see that they added my mtn top to the winter advisory (Northern Jackson) but not really expecting anything there tomorrow morning except perhaps some rime ice due to foggy..windy..below freezing conditions.

IN

FACT...SHORT RANGE MODELS INDICATE THAT H85 TEMPS WILL DROP FROM 3C

AT 6Z TO -7C BY LATE SUNDAY MORNING. IN ADDITION...H85 WINDS ON BOTH

THE 12Z NAM AND GFS HAVE TRENDED STRONGER SINCE THIS TIME

YESTERDAY...INCREASING FROM 25 KTS ON YESTERDAY/S RUNS TO AS GREAT

AS 35 KTS ON THE NAM TODAY. HOWEVER...FORECAST SOUNDINGS ACROSS THE

MTNS INDICATE MOISTURE ONLY IN THE LOWEST 2KT WITH A H75 INVERSION

AS GREAT AS 2C. A PURE TOP DOWN APPLICATION WOULD SUPPORT ONLY

FZRA/FZDZ AS THE P-TYPE FOR LATE TONIGHT ACROSS THE TN BORDER

COUNTIES. HOWEVER...EXPERIENCE REVEALS THAT A TEXT BOOK APPROACH TO

NWF PRECIP DOES NOT ALWAYS YIELD THE BEST FORECAST. I ANTICIPATE

THAT PRECIP WILL FALL AS RAIN/FZRA THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...THEN

MIXING WITH LIGHT SNOW/SNOW GRAINS AROUND DAWN. AS MOISTURE ERODES

AFTER SUNRISE...UPSLOPE AREAS MAY OBSERVE FZDZ AND RIME ICING UNTIL

NOON. OVERALL...SNOW ALONG THE TN LINE MAY RANGE FROM 0.25 TO 0.5 OF

AN INCH. FREEZING RAIN/DZ WILL BE MORE COMMON...ACCUMULATIONS

REMAINING A TENTH OF AN INCH OR LESS. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY

APPEARS WELL PLACED AND TIMED...I WILL ADD NORTHERN JACKSON CO.

ELSEWHERE...CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN BREEZY AND COOL ON

SUNDAY...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE MTNS. HIGHS SHOULD RANGE FROM THE

U30S TO L40S WITHIN THE MTN VALLEYS TO LOW 50S ACROSS THE PIEDMONT. 

As a follow-up to this..this morning NWS forecast discussion:

NOW FOR THE MTNS...DESPITE ALL SCIENCE TO THE

CONTRARY...SNOW IS NOW BEING REPORTED ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE MTNS.

ALL INDICATIONS ARE THAT THIS SHOULD BE FREEZING RAIN/FREEZING

DRIZZLE. WILL UPDATE TO CHANGE THE P-TYPE TO A RAIN/SNOW MIX BASED

ON SFC TEMPS. SHOULD NOT BE MORE THAN A DUSTING. VERY GUSTY WINDS

EXPECTED ACROSS THE MTNS AS WELL.

Man do I love living in the mountains. Wow when I left work this morning there was nothing at all. Clear blue sky and windy. I got about 2 miles from home and hit light to moderate snow and I got home everything is covered. Cars patio table and the grass has a heavy dusting on it with the temp down to 29 degrees and still snowing! Again man I love living in the mountains! What a beautiful morning!

Man do I love living in the mountains. Wow when I left work this morning there was nothing at all. Clear blue sky and windy. I got about 2 miles from home and hit light to moderate snow and I got home everything is covered. Cars patio table and the grass has a heavy dusting on it with the temp down to 29 degrees and still snowing! Again man I love living in the mountains! What a beautiful morning!

In this pic this morning..you can just barely make out the dusting of snow. Note the season total is only 4". That has got to be the lowest snow total of any mtn above 6000 feet in the state! :cry:

post-9361-0-47636000-1387112521_thumb.jp

Ya pretty poor mike. Still snowing lightly. This pattern has not been very good for snow down this way. Maybe that will change in January.

Concerned. The SE ridge...lack of Negative NAO etc is getting in the way of all the exceptionally cold air that is currently present across the North..and likely to hang around into January at least from amounting to much snow in NC. Great for Michigan...Crap for NC. Still-it can only get better from here and it would be just plain weird if the pattern doesn't change into something much more favorable at some point this season.  Chance I might head down later this week to take advantage of the expected heat wave to get some work done up top if I can dodge inbetween snowstorms in Michigan.

Ya I think we will be ok. Just stinks we cannot cash in on the cold air like most have recently.

yeah but our season really never gets going until after Christmas. Remember march is a more wintry month than dec. The first half of April can get snowy as well. Especially if we can get some blocking as the seasonal jet works south.

Concerned. The SE ridge...lack of Negative NAO etc is getting in the way of all the exceptionally cold air that is currently present across the North..and likely to hung around into January at least from amounting to much snow in NC. Great for Michigan...Crap for NC. Still-it can only get better from here and it would be just plain weird if the pattern doesn't change into something much more favorable at some point this season.  Chance I might head down later this week to take advantage of the expected heat wave to get some work done up top if I can dodge inbetween snowstorms in Michigan.

Lol ya looks to be on the warm side of things next week. I am thinking the same thing, I mean the AO and the NAO have been positive for the most part since August.

yeah but our season really never gets going until after Christmas. Remember march is a more wintry month than dec. The first half of April can get snowy as well. Especially if we can get some blocking as the seasonal jet works south.

Ya I agree. Funny watching everyone get so worked up here in December about the current pattern.

Ya I agree. Funny watching everyone get so worked up here in December about the current pattern.

I really don't understand somehow winter has went from being djfm to Oct nov and dec. Too many people got spoiled in the Decembers of 09, 10. Seems like some think we should have the same climo as Hudson bay.

I really don't understand somehow winter has went from being djfm to Oct nov and dec. Too many people got spoiled in the Decembers of 09, 10. Seems like some think we should have the same climo as Hudson bay.

Lol ya even here in the mountains we dont start hitting our stride until after Christmas usually.

Archived