• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

I really don't understand somehow winter has went from being djfm to Oct nov and dec. Too many people got spoiled in the Decembers of 09, 10. Seems like some think we should have the same climo as Hudson bay.

LOL! However..I do know the average snowfall up top is about  75" and only 4" to date so something needs to give especially since it already appears possible that little snow will fall for the rest of the month.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...nothing on the radar but getting light snow here @ 2600' !...Mtns to my northwest are white out with snow!  This may be another case of some non-textbook upslope?

Any other mtn folk getting snow at this time?

We are getting flurries here still. NW flow is a strange thing. I think a lot of models have a hard time picking it up here in the mountains, Also the radar has a hard time because of the mountain peeks I think. Never underestimate NW flow snows.

12Z GFS trying to show us a lil love with the short wave passing to our north on Tuesday...a few hours of nwf snow keeps inching southward with each run...now snow down to TN/VA line.  Maybe a lil hope in the midst of a 14-day torch   :whistle:

GSP alludes to this in the afternoon disco..."A dry cold front crosses the area Tuesday with northwesterly flow developing through Tuesday night. A couple of rounds of low level moisture move into

the mountains on the northwesterly flow. Right now...the moisture appears too
shallow for any northwest flow precipitation. However...do expect clouds move move
into the Tennessee border counties..."

12Z NAM/GGEM show no love at all   :( 

Wow...49 here in Bakersville today!

12Z GFS trying to show us a lil love with the short wave passing to our north on Tuesday...a few hours of nwf snow keeps inching southward with each run...now snow down to TN/VA line.  Maybe a lil hope in the midst of a 14-day torch   :whistle:

GSP alludes to this in the afternoon disco..."A dry cold front crosses the area Tuesday with northwesterly flow developing through Tuesday night. A couple of rounds of low level moisture move into

the mountains on the northwesterly flow. Right now...the moisture appears too

shallow for any northwest flow precipitation. However...do expect clouds move move

into the Tennessee border counties..."

12Z NAM/GGEM show no love at all   :( 

Wow...49 here in Bakersville today!

18z keeping the trend also. We will see what tonight's model brings in.

Yep..will be some upslope snow this evening. I'm thinking 1 to 2" at LeConte..down to a dusting on my mtn. Strong NW wind along with brief/decent moisture should produce a rather vigorous snowshower response. Once again..cloud physics will suck so only small/fine flake sizes. The decent depth of the moisture suggests just maybe there will be a little better carry over into NC than recent events. Valley floors areas likely will be too warm for any accumulation.

Here is RAP image at the maximum extent of precip along with the 6z NAM BUFKIT imagine.  

post-9361-0-46998200-1387281892_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-89659600-1387281899_thumb.jp

A litte shower moving through downtown right now.  Big drops but they are very scattered.  Temp is 48 in the valley currently and the wind is whipping outside.  Its hard to believe that TWC has us with clear skies all night and 0% chance of precip. 

Ya the news outlets kind  fell behind the modeling because this was just picked up for us yesterday. Oh well NWFS  is great!

Archived