joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah woah woah woah. You have a rink?! In your yard? Ugh. What's it made out of?

Ice  :lmao: Seriously though, it's pressure treated boards (2x10's) that I bracket together and support with rebar and the large galvanized nails, then it's lined with 6 mil plastic sheeting.  It's 16' x 40'.  I have posts with the white globe lights around the perimeter.  It's really nice and the kids love it (as do I).  We are out every night for at least 1-2 hours skating.  My son plays hockey so it's been great for him to practice skating, stick handling, etc.  It's really not a lot of work to build, but maintaining it is a little bit of a pain.  I flood it with hot water every night to keep the surface smooth.  The one wildcard is the weather. 

Just shoveled my rink, winds are howling out there. Snow is about 4 feet deep around the rink, nice boards for hockey, that's for sure! Light sleet but that's about it. Temp is 28. I think we flip to snow pretty quickly once the heavier stuff moves in as we are riding the 850 0 line.

Now I know you're a Buffalo guy...we had a rink for a few years, and it seemed like one house in every neighborhood had a backyard rink growing up there...

29 degrees - very light sleet and breezy - Town of POK

Someone needs to save all these shots!

I have well over 100 screenshots and maps saved from this storm... I'll upload them all somewhere when the storm's done and throw you guys a link.

Love how upbeat the discussion is here tonight. Not ashamed to say I'm already pondering the logistics of building an ice rink next year!

Boonton, NJ (Morris County)

Still just freezing rain here. Went to move the car for the plow guy and my car was a block of ice. Couldn't even get through it with the ice scraper. You could go ice skating on the road here. 

Looking at radar, it looks like North Central NJ is in for a dry slot? Or is that supposed to fill in as the low moves passed?

Archived