• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September 2013 Banter

wx n of atl

I've been leaning to a max around 2014 to as late as early 2015 based on the pattern of past cycles. So, I'm leaning more toward a double max scenario as of now. However, this cycle has unusual characteristics and I'm keeping my mind open to the chance the max has already passed. I've also been posting in the "All Solar" topic of the Climate Change forum for a couple of years that I'm expecting the subsequent cycle (#25) to be even weaker than the current one based on the pattern around the early 1800's Dalton Minimum. In my opinion, there's a pretty good chance that cycle 25 will be the weakest since the Dalton minimum. As it is, cycle 24 looks to be the weakest in close to 100 years.

The big question for me (which I've discussed in that same forum) is whether or not thus will cause a significant global cooldown between now and about 2030. I'm thinking this is possible based on the cooldown of the better part of 0.5 C (1880-1910), which followed the 1875-1910 sunspot slowdown, and the fact that 1950-2000 was the most active 50 year period sunspotwise in at least 350 years and quite likely longer than that. I'm keeping my mind open to the possibility that the late 20th century sunspot activity/high sunflux was a more major contributor to global warming than many have been assuming. IF that turn out to be the case, then that would tell me there's a good chance that the current solar grand minimum would likely cause a pretty significant global cooldown over the next 20 years or so. However, if we're going to see that significant cooldown, I'd expect to see evidence of that by around 2018. If not, I'd probably then abandon my thinking about a possible significant upcoming global cooldown. The truth is that nobody really knows since the combo of the current solar grand minimum and recent very strong solar maximum hasn't occurred in 350+ years. Exciting times climowise, folks!

I also try to keep an open mind. I agree that the upcoming minimum should be the big test. If global temps drop significantly then we will have to considerer a solar factor (as major contributor), if temps continue to flat line then we can consider both a CO2 and solar factor, and if temps rise we may then have to all get on the same boat.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about to buy a new HD TV. I'm looking to get 40"+. I'm expecting to spend around $400-550. If anyone here has a strong favorite brand, I'd like to know it and why. I've already been told to consider LG, Panasonic, Vizio, and Samsung. Also, Sony was recommended if I could get it in the price range I'm looking.

Also, are there any features you'd strongly recommend? What about LCD vs. LED?

I was told to check out Best Buy and Walmart as the best bets for good value. Also, I know someone who's a member of Sam's and may be able to go there as an option if that's a good place to get it. I don't think there's a Brandsmart near here.

Thanks in advance.

my thoughts...

I like Samsung and LG. Own both for a few years now. Been very happy.  Vizio is another very popular brand.

Measure how far you will be from the TV screen is important.... Don't go lower than 40 and if you are more than 14 feet away I would go 46-50 inches.

I like LED over Plasma (even though they have improved plasma and there is less heat ;  It just looks better to me} ....both will do a great job for you.  

Plasma is normally cheaper so you might find a deal

Get the 120 or 240 hz  not the 60 hz.   

I think having a good black boarder around the tv set helps with the colors on the set vs a grey or no boarder around the tv set. 

3 HDMI port I would also suggest. 

I have purchased from BEST BUY; Walmart and HHGREGG 

I'm about to buy a new HD TV. I'm looking to get 40"+. I'm expecting to spend around $400-550. If anyone here has a strong favorite brand, I'd like to know it and why. I've already been told to consider LG, Panasonic, Vizio, and Samsung. Also, Sony was recommended if I could get it in the price range I'm looking.

I was told to check out Best Buy and Walmart as the best bets for good value. Also, I know someone who's a member of Sam's and may be able to go there as an option if that's a good place to get it. I don't think there's a Brandsmart near here.

Thanks in advance.

For your budget I'd look at 42"-43" and get the best for your money. If you're willing to go plasma and are putting it in a room with little windows and not a lot of bright lights, I'd do that. Plasma has awesome picture, they are cheaper, it's just there's the glare issue. However, I've owned a high 50"+ Samsung plasma and I loved it.

I would stear clear from Smart TV's. I have one, a 42" LED Vizio SmartTV. I love everything but the fact that it's a SmartTV. They take much longer to boot up (1 second vs 10+ seconds, seriously) It might not seem like much but when you're staring at a blank screen waiting for it to boot, it's just annoying. Also, you can buy a dvd player with Netflix, Pandora, etc built into it, or a roku player, etc. so there's no need for a "SmartTV" in the modern day.

I brought a Plasma home and it was awful with the glare (took it back).  I would stay away unless it has a glare-reducing feature.  Agree that you want to think about how far away you are from the TV when deciding on the size.  I regret not getting a bigger one at last purchase.  Sams is good with cost.

I bought a 60" Samsung 3D Plasma Smart TV and love it. 

Plasmas will always provide a better picture, especially with motion shots, and be cheaper at the same time. The refresh rate of a plasma is 600hz versus 240, 120, or even 60hz for LCD/LED. Blacks are blacker and greys are more easily distinguishable. The only real disadvantage is they are not as bright as a LCD/LED, so your room dictates some of your choice. They also generate more heat if that's an issue with you.

After you find one you like, do some searching on the internet to see if you can find calibration settings. I was able to find settings for mine and it makes all the difference in the picture. If the settings can't be found, you can either try to do it yourself with a calibration DVD or pay someone $300-500 to do it for you.

BTW... I love 3D at home. The image is much better than at the movies and you'll get addicted to 3D very quickly.

I have the 50" Vizio SmartTV. I also love it. Plus I have a 32" Vizio and have had no problem with it over the last five years.

We were able to get this TV via best buy with 0% for 12 months :) Paid off in 4 months and canned the card :)

For your budget I'd look at 42"-43" and get the best for your money. If you're willing to go plasma and are putting it in a room with little windows and not a lot of bright lights, I'd do that. Plasma has awesome picture, they are cheaper, it's just there's the glare issue. However, I've owned a high 50"+ Samsung plasma and I loved it.

I would stear clear from Smart TV's. I have one, a 42" LED Vizio SmartTV. I love everything but the fact that it's a SmartTV. They take much longer to boot up (1 second vs 10+ seconds, seriously) It might not seem like much but when you're staring at a blank screen waiting for it to boot, it's just annoying. Also, you can buy a dvd player with Netflix, Pandora, etc built into it, or a roku player, etc. so there's no need for a "SmartTV" in the modern day.

Plasma is the way to go!  Panasonic makes a very nice product, and they have put lots of time into perfecting the plasma technology while other companies have moved on to the LED.  You don't hear of any of the old problems that occurred with the original plasma TVs anymore.  I love my 50-inch Panasonic plasma.  The guy at Best Buy (they don't make commission) actually talked me into a plasma when I was considering an LED.  The product you can purchase for the price is awesome with the plasma versus the LED.  I also like Samsung products.  I hate my old Sony LCD TV:  it takes so long to change from channel to channel, but that may no longer be a problem.

Check out the specials on NewEgg.com.  I've gotten all my tvs from them, as well as all my computer stuff.  I use two 39 inch tvs for monitors with my graphics computer, and love them both even though they are off brands.  Got them for less than 200 each from New Egg.  I bought a Toshiba 42 inch for my tv from them.  All lcd.  Then my mother got macular degeneration, so I gave her the Toshiba so she'd have a bigger screen, and got myself a 46 inch LG.  I love them both.  I just wish I'd waited for the LG to have a deal on 3d.  I regret not getting 3d.  I paid less than 350 for Toshiba, and Less that 4 for the LG.  You might have to wait a bit for the best deals, but they come around regularly, and with free shipping.  And they ship fine.  No worries shipping a tv, and if you have a bad pixel or two, or a mishap in shipping, they are great about returns and making good.  The only draw back is waiting for the deals to roll around...but they do roll around, and with XMas coming up there will be deals.  Tony

Oh, and Larry...could you speed up the minimum?  My prime sleet enjoying years are fast depleting.  In 30 years I won't care if it's cold, or hot, and might be drooling snot, lol.  Any idea if the Maunder period was high on precip, or low?  I know the Thames froze, etc. and grain alcohols became the norm due to the cold well south, etc.  but what was the snow doing?  Piling up?  Or just the occasional heavy fall.  Don't know if I've ever heard if the precip slacked off with the increased cold?   Tony

Thanks very much for all replies about the TV! I MAY consider plasma but only if I can be convinced that glare won't be a problem. The room has nice sized windows but they aren't close to the TV and there's no direct sunlight due to a northern exposure.

Thanks very much for all replies about the TV! I MAY consider plasma but only if I can be convinced that glare won't be a problem. The room has nice sized windows but they aren't close to the TV and there's no direct sunlight due to a northern exposure.

Yes we have a 46 " samsung smart TV and we love it.  Glad we stayed away from the Plasma for our tv is in the sun room there would have been to much glare with all the light.  Bought it at HH Gregg

Also, you can buy a dvd player with Netflix, Pandora, etc built into it, or a roku player, etc. so there's no need for a "SmartTV" in the modern day.

Where? I'm interested. Was just about to get a 3D smart until I saw this.

I think apps are a new feature to certain dvd players. Dont waste your money on a smart tv just find a dvd player with app capabilities. It should be plastered all over the box since it is the up and coming new feature with dvd players. Hope that helps

I've been leaning to a max around 2014 to as late as early 2015 based on the pattern of past cycles. So, I'm leaning more toward a double max scenario as of now. However, this cycle has unusual characteristics and I'm keeping my mind open to the chance the max has already passed. I've also been posting in the "All Solar" topic of the Climate Change forum for a couple of years that I'm expecting the subsequent cycle (#25) to be even weaker than the current one based on the pattern around the early 1800's Dalton Minimum. In my opinion, there's a pretty good chance that cycle 25 will be the weakest since the Dalton minimum. As it is, cycle 24 looks to be the weakest in close to 100 years.

The big question for me (which I've discussed in that same forum) is whether or not thus will cause a significant global cooldown between now and about 2030. I'm thinking this is possible based on the cooldown of the better part of 0.5 C (1880-1910), which followed the 1875-1910 sunspot slowdown, and the fact that 1950-2000 was the most active 50 year period sunspotwise in at least 350 years and quite likely longer than that. I'm keeping my mind open to the possibility that the late 20th century sunspot activity/high sunflux was a more major contributor to global warming than many have been assuming. IF that turn out to be the case, then that would tell me there's a good chance that the current solar grand minimum would likely cause a pretty significant global cooldown over the next 20 years or so. However, if we're going to see that significant cooldown, I'd expect to see evidence of that by around 2018. If not, I'd probably then abandon my thinking about a possible significant upcoming global cooldown. The truth is that nobody really knows since the combo of the current solar grand minimum and recent very strong solar maximum hasn't occurred in 350+ years. Exciting times climowise, folks!

I vote for the stars to align in order to bring us a winter to remember  :P  

I'm guilty of this.... I can't help it that pumpkin spiced things taste soooo gooooood. :D

omg! Pumpkin pancakes with whipped cream is one of my favorites :wub: 

Really has that fall feel outside.  I can tell a difference in a summer morning and outside right now.   Fall is here even though officially not until Sunday at 4:44 PM. :whistle:

Only 93 days, 21 hrs, 58 minutes and 11 seconds until Winter :wub:

Thanks in advance.

I have the bolded currently in my house and love them.  ^_^

Thanks to those who responded about the HD TV. Although I was originally thinking the newer technology LCD, I'm now leaning toward plasma (Samsung or Panasonic) without 3D and maybe without Smart TV based on further research (not just based on comments here). I would more strongly favor Panasonic for plasma, but they are out of them at Best Buy for who knows how long (weeks?) and I couldn't find the Panasonic I'd want at Walmart. So, that could push me toward Samsung. However, until I actually buy something, I'm not eliminating going back to LCD. I'd like to buy something within the couple of days, if possible.

I favor Best Buy because of their selection as well as what look like reasonable Geek Squad multiyear protection plans. Normally, I don't go for extended protection, but I did for my laptop and may for this.

Any opinions about Samsung plasma?

Where? I'm interested. Was just about to get a 3D smart until I saw this.

Search Amazon for LG Blurays...most affordable and most advanced as far as apps and capability. Samsung blurays are good but overpriced IMO (I have one, but it was a gift). The LG BP730 is the high range model, but since you're getting a 3D I'm not sure you need this, might want to research further and just get the lower end that's around $80ish...

However, if you've heard of Roku I'd recommend checking this out instead: http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379514005&sr=1-1&keywords=g-box It's android based and it's fully customizable...you can stream movies from your PC to your TV in full 1080p. It has an incredible processor and really stands out. Of course, it can't play blurays...haha. If you go this route you can get a handheld keyboard with a touchpad that allows you to nagivate the UI quickly http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Thanks to those who responded about the HD TV. Although I was originally thinking the newer technology LCD, I'm now leaning toward plasma (Samsung or Panasonic) without 3D and maybe without Smart TV based on further research (not just based on comments here). I would more strongly favor Panasonic for plasma, but they are out of them at Best Buy for who knows how long (weeks?) and I couldn't find the Panasonic I'd want at Walmart. So, that could push me toward Samsung. However, until I actually buy something, I'm not eliminating going back to LCD. I'd like to buy something within the couple of days, if possible.

I favor Best Buy because of their selection as well as what look like reasonable Geek Squad multiyear protection plans. Normally, I don't go for extended protection, but I did for my laptop and may for this.

Any opinions about Samsung plasma?

The have the Samsung PN60E8000 60" Smart 3D Plasma. (it's been superseded by a newer model)

I'm very picky about my picture quality (just as I am about my sound quality, I would call myself an audiophile) and did a lot of research before buying. I also wanted a TV where I could easily get all of the calibration settings without paying an arm and a leg to do so. 

First... all of my comments about picture quality are after calibrating, not that it wasn't good before that.

I love this TV. Our room is relatively dark and I have no issues with glare/being washed out. Contrast is great and the colors are vivid. Grey shades are easily distinguishable (as with most plasmas). You don't have any of the blurring with fast motion like you do with a LCD/LED (unless it's introduced by the source material).

3D is great with no ghosting of the images. The image is much brighter than in a movie theater and much sharper.  This particular TV uses active 3D glasses but I believe it makes a big difference. You can even have the TV do a 3D image from a standard 2D broadcast!

I have the TV connected via Ethernet cable to my router and all of the Smart features work well. I like watching my racing videos directly from YouTube on a 60" screen! There are all kinds of cool gadgets and apps to play with but I rarely use any of them. 

The TV generates some heat (as all plasma's) but it's no big deal to me, maybe it will help in the winter time as a supplemental heater!. 

The TV can also control other HDMI devices, when I turn on the TV and automatically turns on the home theater receiver, etc. 

This TV also has a built in webcam if you wanted to use Skype (another app) or other applications that can use a webcam. It has other features like voice and gesture control (which I don't use). 

Did I say I love this TV? I could have spent more money to get the same basic TV in a LCD/LED but the picture quality would have been worse, so why? Yes, LCD/LED's are brighter if that's what you need, but if not, you're only wasting your money to get one IMHO.  If you search on what has the best picture quality, videophiles will almost always pick a plasma over anything else.

I went to Best Buy and did see that the LCD's have brighter whites and the plasmas have darker blacks. To Steve and others, doesn't that make it kind of a wash picture qualitywise? To be honest, they all looked good to me as I've never had a HD TV. That's why I could still be swayed back to LCD. I don't play any video games if that matters. I mainly watch sports as well as weather, CNBC, and some cable news. Actually, I don't watch a ton of TV. I'm doing this as much for company as for myself.

I'm looking now at 50-51" because I have been convinced that going for the biggest size that will fit is probably wise to take advantage of the HD aspect.

I still need to check HH Gregg.

Don't be fooled by TV's in the showroom. Many are calibrated "hot" to make things standout. 

Black blacks are critical in getting the other colors correct, especially grey's. Any tint to a true black will skew everything else. LCD/LED's have gotten better with blacks by playing tricks with the pixels, but are still not in the same league as a plasma in that respect. 

You can get an idea of the screen size based on the seating distance from the TV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

Personally, I like the closer distance as it seems to get me more engaged and fills my field of vision better. I'll check when I get home but I'm about 9' from my 60" I think. When in doubt, I would spend a little more and get the larger TV, you'll never regret that decision. but I do hear people lamenting about how they SHOULD have gone larger.

Steve/others,

I should add that in the Best Buy showroom I detected the Samsung 51" (model 5300) plasma to have slightly brighter whites than the Panasonic 50" plasma (model S60). I'm assuming it isn't due to a better calibration but I guess there's no way for me to know that. However, I just talked to someone else at a different store about Samsung and he told me that Samsung's whites are brighter than Panasonic though not as bright as LCD. So, he gives the picture quality edge to Samsung. He also says that he has seen very few people actually returning either the Samsung or Panasonic plasmas due to problems other than glare in a bright room.

I'm getting very close to deciding on the 51" Samsung plasma (model 5300).

I bought mine at Best buy too. I think you'll like the Samsung.

Here are calibration settings for that TV

This is my first plasma TV. Amazing image quality especailly after some adjustment. The picture took some adjustment. Here is what I found to be the best adjustments:

Cell light 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 47
Sharpness 60
Color 80 (for dvd content. Sometimes on TV I turned this down)
Tint (50/50)
Picture Size 16:9

In Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast: High
Black Tone: Darkest
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Oly Mode: Off
Color Space Native (there is a noticeable difference)
Gamma: 0
Motion Lighting: Off

Going back out to the main menu again, and going into picture options:

Color Tone: standard
Digital Clean View: Off (with teh sharpness setting where I have it, noise isnt too much of a concern as long as they used good film....I found that when this was turned on you would from time to time notice a paint like effect on the film. You sacrafice quality when this is on.
Mped Noise filter Off
HDMI black level: normal (greyed out with my dvd player)
Film Mode: off
Black Optimizer off

With these settings, HD movies looked incredible, particularly with the deep blacks that accompany this tv.

I bought mine at Best buy too. I think you'll like the Samsung.

Here are calibration settings for that TV

This is my first plasma TV. Amazing image quality especailly after some adjustment. The picture took some adjustment. Here is what I found to be the best adjustments:

Cell light 20

Contrast 100

Brightness 47

Sharpness 60

Color 80 (for dvd content. Sometimes on TV I turned this down)

Tint (50/50)

Picture Size 16:9

In Advanced Settings:

Dynamic Contrast: High

Black Tone: Darkest

Flesh Tone: 0

RGB Oly Mode: Off

Color Space Native (there is a noticeable difference)

Gamma: 0

Motion Lighting: Off

Going back out to the main menu again, and going into picture options:

Color Tone: standard

Digital Clean View: Off (with teh sharpness setting where I have it, noise isnt too much of a concern as long as they used good film....I found that when this was turned on you would from time to time notice a paint like effect on the film. You sacrafice quality when this is on.

Mped Noise filter Off

HDMI black level: normal (greyed out with my dvd player)

Film Mode: off

Black Optimizer off

With these settings, HD movies looked incredible, particularly with the deep blacks that accompany this tv.

Steve,

Wow, thanks for all of this great calibration info! This is very much appreciated. I went ahead and bought the Samsung 51" for $650. I bought the 4 year Geek Squad protection for $170. Also, they sold me a $40 HDMI wire although the cheapest is $20. I know nothing about that but can always return it if not needed. Was it wise to spend $40 on that? Then again they told me they have wires that cost up to $300!! That makes the $40 seem cheap lol. What happened to the old days of buying a TV and just plugging it in lol? No special wires or calibrations!

Search Amazon for LG Blurays...most affordable and most advanced as far as apps and capability. Samsung blurays are good but overpriced IMO (I have one, but it was a gift). The LG BP730 is the high range model, but since you're getting a 3D I'm not sure you need this, might want to research further and just get the lower end that's around $80ish...

However, if you've heard of Roku I'd recommend checking this out instead: http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379514005&sr=1-1&keywords=g-box It's android based and it's fully customizable...you can stream movies from your PC to your TV in full 1080p. It has an incredible processor and really stands out. Of course, it can't play blurays...haha. If you go this route you can get a handheld keyboard with a touchpad that allows you to nagivate the UI quickly http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Holy at that android based thing. Didn't even know they made those. Definitely getting one of those. Might have trouble trying to set it up. Thanks Jon.

Archived