• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
What are your ideal summer temperatures?

Quincy

What are your ideal summer temperatures?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What's your ideal summer HIGH temperature?

• <70°
    • 70° to 79°
    • 80° to 89°
    • 90° to 99°
    • 100°+
  2. 2. What's your ideal summer LOW temperature?

• <50°
    • 50° to 59°
    • 60° to 69°
    • 70° to 79°
    • 80°+
  3. 3. What's your ideal summer dew-point temperature?

• <45°
    • 45° to 54°
    • 55° to 64°
    • 65° to 74°
    • 75°+

Bingo. We can get away with severe on days that SNE just wastes away under the cap. High dews and nothing to do with them but lay in the garden at leaf level and roast.

I think part of it is the false perception of severe in New England in general. People think that because they don't get the storms, severe doesn't exist. But severe in general is so sparse compared to the Midwest or Plains that it is a real rarity to take a direct hit. Our severe is pulse and isolated storms usually, not region wide bow echoes at the like they get further west.

If you're near an initiation point like DEN, or OKC, or a favorable area for bows like DSM to ORD it's a lot more likely you'll see severe weather in a given season. At DVN I averaged about 5 wind events a warm season, but they also stretched from the border with MN to MO.

Just look at GYX

GYX6.gif

versus DVN

DVN6.gif

Are the red lines tornado tracks?

When the heck was that long one in eastern VT that is like due north-south?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an August 1999 tornado. Chances are that a lat/lon point got messed up from a Sullivan/Grafton county tornado on the 13th of that month.

Ahh that would make more sense, thanks.  I was thinking that would've been a monster to track all the way up eastern VT like that. 

Regarding NNE severe weather... does BTV CWA see more SVR than GYX?  I would assume it does being further from marine taint and usually closer to better summer-time dynamics that lift through upstate NY and southern Quebec.  But I also bet GYX has more "sneaky" severe that goes unnoticed or unreported in N.NH and NW ME.  Just like GYX CWA does better in SWFE and CAD being further east, severe weather seems to increase as one heads west in the northeastern U.S.

Ahh that would make more sense, thanks.  I was thinking that would've been a monster to track all the way up eastern VT like that. 

Regarding NNE severe weather... does BTV CWA see more SVR than GYX?  I would assume it does being further from marine taint and usually closer to better summer-time dynamics that lift through upstate NY and southern Quebec.  But I also bet GYX has more "sneaky" severe that goes unnoticed or unreported in N.NH and NW ME.  Just like GYX CWA does better in SWFE and CAD being further east, severe weather seems to increase as one heads west in the northeastern U.S.

I would hazard a guess they do, especially in that corridor from Lake Ontario to Champlain. 

And don't get me started on our sneaky severe... :axe:

Within the GYX circle, the densest dots appear to be in eastern Mass, though it's close with areas in NNE.  Is NNE ahead in svr per unit area? 

Without a doubt there is a reporting bias within our radar range. A storm in Metro West is going to generate far more phone calls than even one hitting a relatively populated Lewiston-Auburn. Forget it if one happens to track over northern Coos through Somerset. Not to mention there is almost certainly a verification bias of "if we didn't hear about it, it didn't happen" at this office from the first half of this decade at least (through my own research on hail). Which really makes comparisons like this difficult because the data are certainly skewed to a degree.

Without a doubt there is a reporting bias within our radar range. A storm in Metro West is going to generate far more phone calls than even one hitting a relatively populated Lewiston-Auburn. Forget it if one happens to track over northern Coos through Somerset. Not to mention there is almost certainly a verification bias of "if we didn't hear about it, it didn't happen" at this office from the first half of this decade at least (through my own research on hail). Which really makes comparisons like this difficult because the data are certainly skewed to a degree.

And it's certainly even worse for the NW portion of CAR's CWA.  I'm still wondering exactly what happened in the NW corner of Baxter Park and areas to the west around the Arm of Chamberlain, whether the extensive blowdowns were all straight line or some rotational.

Small sample, but ran the same poll on another weather website...

High:

33% <70°

00% 70's

22% 80's

44% 90's

00% 100°+

Low:

12% <50°

25% 50's

37% 60's

25% 70's

00% 80°+

Ask those same people if they like high humidity like dp's in the 70s.  There were plenty of posts in the city-data forum thread where everyday people were saying that they didn't mind heat or warm days as long as it wasn't humid. 

The fact remains that of a poll of folks here, there is a bias toward colder temps.

Ask those same people if they like high humidity like dp's in the 70s.  There were plenty of posts in the city-data forum thread where everyday people were saying that they didn't mind heat or warm days as long as it wasn't humid. 

Yeah, that's a good point, people always say "it's not the heat – it's the humidity". 

I say the same thing, but mean it in the opposite way!  (I enjoy the humidity, but not necessarily extreme heat)

A half dozen people like 75+ dews though!

Probably for the same reason I like -20 mornings or subzero highs in winter - bragging rights.

Edit: 40s and drizzle? Nice hyperbole, but who has ever seen that condition in JJA except at the mountain tops, or possibly early June in NNE? As should be obvious, those voting for 40s lows mean clear, calm, crisp nights.

Probably for the same reason I like -20 mornings or subzero highs in winter - bragging rights.

Edit: 40s and drizzle? Nice hyperbole, but who has ever seen that condition in JJA except at the mountain tops, or possibly early June in NNE? As should be obvious, those voting for 40s lows mean clear, calm, crisp nights.

That's why I voted for it.  I love those mornings when you can get some work done and then take a rest and it doesn't feel like you're sitting in a sauna or steam bath.

Amazing results from the poll showing people like to be comfortable and not sweating. Dumbfounding.....those frigid fairies sure are crazy people.

according to my calculations:

-82% prefer high temps lower than 90

-80% prefer dew points lower than 65

clearly only a small group of ppl (~20%) prefer the HHH stuff

frigid fairies indeed!  :snowing:

Archived