• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
What Winter, Winter Month, and Snowstorm Were Your Favorites?

CTWeatherFan

Favorite Winter, month, and snowstorm  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Storm Was Your Favorite

• December 26-27, 2010
    • January 7-8, 2011
    • January 11-12, 2011
    • January 26-27, 2011
    • February 1-3, 2011
    • March 6-7, 2011
    • October 29-30, 2011
    • February 8-9, 2013
    • March 7-8, 2013
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. Which was Your Favorite Month

• January 2011
    • February 2013
    • March 2013
  3. 3. Which Was Your Favorite Winter?

• 2010-11
    • 2012-13

I wanted to see what everyone's feelings are on this matter and how they vary based on location. I didn't include 2011-12 as an option for favorite winter as I figured most here are snow lovers and would never pick it.

Storms I included:

December 26-27, 2010 Boxing Day Blizzard

January 7-8, 2011 Inverted Trough
January 11-12, 2011 Monster Snowstorm

January 26-27, 2011 Snowbomb
February 1-3, 2011 Twin SWFEs/Chicago Blizzard
March 6-7, 2011 BTV Snowbomb
October 29-30, 2011 Halloween Snowstorm
February 8-9, 2013  Blizzard of 2013
March 7-8, 2013 Surprise Epic Snowstorm

For me, although the best storm here in Connecticut was the Blizzard of 2013, my favorite month is absolutely January 2011 and the winter of 2010-11 was better here than 2012-13. 10-11 had more snow, December-March were all colder than normal, and I don't think I'll see 60"+ of snow in a month (January 2011) again for a long time.

I'm obviously taking March 6-7, 2011 as my favorite storm out of that...we had 27" in Stowe and a 40-inch snowpack in the village, so I'll take that.

2010-2011 was my favorite winter by far...it snowed often throughout that winter and even in January while SNE was getting bombed, we were still getting 8-14" storms out of those.

Stowe Village CoCoRAHS at 730ft had 150.3" of snow that winter, and the upper elevations of the ski resort had 340".

October 29-30, 2011 and February 8-9, 2013 were both unreal for different reasons... but I gotta go with that death band and the Blizzard of '13.  Tough to choose between those two storms though because they were both unique in their own way.

January 2011 is an easy one for me... that month was incredibly special.

Is this a 21 and under poll considering the dates of these storms?

Yes now go take a stroll down memory lane to the 1888 bliz

2010-2011 was better imo bc i didnt have to wait for early feb for winter nor did i have to endure 5 rainstorms in december, not even close. However the best storm was very easily blizz of 2013!

More like 8 and under, lol.

Lol. All kidding aside, my favorite winter was actually 2011-2012 because we got barely any snow and it was one of the warmest winters on record.

If I REALLY had to pick a snow event though, I think the February Blizzard was the best considering all of the hype (yes, hype), leading up to the event, and it actually verifying. It was also really fun from a forecasting/banter perspective. Boxing Day Blizzard was good too but Nemo definitely surpasses it imo.

I'm clearly not a huge fan of snow, but when you get paralyzing events such as these, it's hard not to say, "Damn, that was a good f*cking storm."

Hard not to choose January 2011 as the best month. February 2013 Blizzard takes the best storm though. March 6-8, 2013 was awesome too IMBY, though doesn't quite stack up to February. The bust aspect of the March 2013 made it seem almost as good though...didn't expect to get nearly 23" of snow from that.

2010-2011 I think was a "better" winter, but its really close for me. I can be convinced that this past year was better. I chose 2010-2011 because of how deep the snowpack got and the more persistent cold. 2013 had a longer finish though well into March whereas 2011 had a cruddy March.

Hard not to choose January 2011 as the best month. February 2013 Blizzard takes the best storm though. March 6-8, 2013 was awesome too IMBY, though doesn't quite stack up to February. The bust aspect of the March 2013 made it seem almost as good though...didn't expect to get nearly 23" of snow from that.

I agree. Just when I thought it was safe to come out of the water. Definitely a storm I won't forget.

I was so waiting for nemo to slide out se of sne on the last one or two euro runs. I was like this will not can not be happening. Did we even have blocking for nemo?

yeah, was thinking the rug would be pulled out at the end...even mid-way into the storm had no idea how I'd do.  25-30 inches later....

I voted for what I could and based on my choices.  I agree with the other posts that there are some better choices in the last 25 years.  If I had that kind of choice I'd go with Dec '92 Blizzard for my favorite storm, December 1989 for my favorite month and '95-'96 as my favorite winter.  '10-'11 does come in a close second and '12-'13 would be up there too. 

December 1992 was a special storm to me given that I had 2" from it but a few miles east of me had over 30".  I was also working in the field then and spent a lot of time analyzing and out in that storm.

December 1989 was just a perfectly cold month and I spent it near the Canadian border so it couldn't get any better.  I love a good cold outbreak! 

The winter of '95-'96 just seemed to be the winter that would not quit and when it seemed like it was going to, it just snowed some more.  I didn't like the gradual fade out of '10-'11 but I did have nearly 40" of snow on the ground at one point.  February - March of this year was also a special 30 day period but I didn't like how the winter had such a slow start.  I did appreciate having a pair of top 10 snowstorms in a month and how it extended my maple season into April but having my continuous snowcover interrupted twice didn't help.  It was also cool how long the snow lasted in the woods.  Google satellite imagery for my area was updated in mid-late April and you can see snow deep in the woods which is pretty cool.

January 2011 was just epic...it was like having the best of 95-96 all in one month with little to no thaw and just storm after storm

to have a solid 30 inch snow pack when all was said and done in death valley is a once in several decade occurance and for nearly three weeks lay snow pack of 20 or better inches!!

February 2013 storm was the best single storm with multi hour 2 to 4 inch hour rates after a very drawn out slow start and crappy snow growth for hours and then just a six hour super dump!! just under two feet on the level in death  valley is truly something special but i was still salivating at the extra six to ten inches that fell not too far south in much of central/southern ct lol

Didn't offer votes, as none of the months or winters was particularly noteworthy for my area, though the 3-winter avg was 95% of climo.  Biggest storm was 4/1/11, a nice but short-lived April dump that brought the season total to 100".  Probably the one I liked best was 11/23/11, 9.7" powder during deer season - I was out on the chase during the heaviest snowfall.  The remainder of those winters were either blecch (2011-12 after 11/23) or watching 12-18" blockbuster forecasts become nice 7-8" snowfalls while folks within 30-60 minute drives (sometimes in any chosen direction) were getting twice as much.  My last truly noteworthy winter storm was 2/22-23/09.

Blizzard this past February hands down.

I was on the Vineyard at the time. Everything was shut down, even on Sunday into Monday. I remember having to cross snow mountains on the street corners just to get into Cumbies. Coastal flooding was insane. I was on the last bus to go up Beach Road from Edgartown to Oak Bluffs. I recorded a gust of 88 mph on my hand held anemometer (that surprisingly was in THE WOODS)

We had a foot in Oak Bluffs.

Archived