• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Why does summer make us lazy?

Deck Pic

"In a 2013 study of perceived well-being, the economist Marie Connolly found that on days when the temperature rose above ninety degrees, the negative impact on happiness levels was greater than the consequences of being widowed or divorced."

I can only assume being hot = uncomfortable which makes you unhappy?

I know I was pretty miserable at work last week with a broken a/c unit. My mood got worse and worse as each day went on. But I don't know if I would go as far to say I was as unhappy as I would be if I was divorced...

"In a 2013 study of perceived well-being, the economist Marie Connolly found that on days when the temperature rose above ninety degrees, the negative impact on happiness levels was greater than the consequences of being widowed or divorced."

We are lazy and fat and don't like heat.

Just like I have no idea why someone would want to take a stroll when it's 20 and blustery.  It's just not comfortable.

or 40's and blustery.  it would be nice if it was in the 50s most of the winter and only dropped to the 20s when it snowed.  that would be denver, but i like being able to take day trips to the beach.

Makes sense to me.  Why go outside when it is disgusting and get mega swamp ass?  Working in it is bad enough.  Last thing I want to do is take a stroll on a 90+ day.

that was a heat wave, though.  most of the summer is a lot more tolerable.

wearing shorts and a t-shirt > wearing 2 layers of clothes and spending a week tracking a flurry because there's not much else to do

that's totally my personal opinion, though.

summer can make me lazy, but in a good mood.  winter gives me cabin fever.  i should travel down south more in the winter. 

If you dress properly it is fine and even quite nice if it is sunny out....you may even sweat...There is no way to dress for 95/75

meh. im always cold in the winter. i can't wear 200 jackets to work.

meh. im always cold in the winter. i can't wear 200 jackets to work.

Same here.  I don't have a problem with dressing for cool weather - in fact I kind of like it - but once it gets cold I don't usually have good luck in keeping warm unless I'm running around being active in some way.  The other problem is that it's always dark.  Being in the sun in colder temps isn't too bad, but since the sun is so rarely up it doesn't help all that much.

Dark, cold, windy.  And dead vegetation.  Winter sucks.

Even if 25 and sun is more comfortable than 95 and sun, the average temps for Summer are more enjoyable to me than the average temps for Winter.

But I think this debate depends on what your hobbies are.  One of my hobbies is playing sports outside.  It's not easy to play tennis outside when the courts are covered in snow, and it's certainly not as fun playing basketball outside in sweat pants and a hoodie compared to a t-shirt and shorts.  

I love a good snowstorm, but usually more so when it's in progress.  By the next day I'm kinda over it.  I try to make Winter work for me, but I prefer Summer.

Seasons aside, mid 90's+ with typical MA humidity is my absolute least favorite condition to be outside in. It's ghastly.

the first day it gets like that i can usually tolerate it but it's when we're in a heat wave and it's the 3rd or 4th day of it that i'm like "ok, where's the cold front".

Archived