• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

Good question. After reading the AFD this morning you would have thought it would be a decent day for rain. Maybe in 3-4 hours? I give up trying to figure it out. 

I guess they really didn't have a clue either:

HOWEVER...
STILL MUCH UNCERTAINTY ON LOCATION...INTENSITY AND DURATION OF
CONVECTION THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS...SO SOME AREAS
EAST OF THE WATCH COULD STILL SEE PERIODS OF BRIEF HEAVY RAIN.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. After reading the AFD this morning you would have thought it would be a decent day for rain. Maybe in 3-4 hours? I give up trying to figure it out.

I guess they really didn't have a clue either:

HOWEVER...

STILL MUCH UNCERTAINTY ON LOCATION...INTENSITY AND DURATION OF

CONVECTION THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS...SO SOME AREAS

EAST OF THE WATCH COULD STILL SEE PERIODS OF BRIEF HEAVY RAIN.

Do they ever have a clue on forecasting rain in the summer months ? From June to August there's really no point in even looking at the forecast.

Wonder where all that heavy rain we are supposed to get is coming from ? Don't see any headed our way. Starting to think the Flash Flood Watch was unnecessary. FFC is calling for widespread 1-3" amounts with locally more. Probably should have said widespread .1-.3".

Do they ever have a clue on forecasting rain in the summer months ? From June to August there's really no point in even looking at the forecast.

I thought you would have learned your lesson about bashing FFC after the last few days when you mocked their forecasts and southern GA ended up getting hammered. The forecast says through Monday on the totals and the FFW was hoisted likely for antecedent conditions. It won't take much to start a flash flood around here.

You really should just stop trolling FFC. I don't think there are many posters on here who appreciate your eeyore like attitude.

I thought you would have learned your lesson about bashing FFC after the last few days when you mocked their forecasts and southern GA ended up getting hammered. The forecast says through Monday on the totals and the FFW was hoisted likely for antecedent conditions. It won't take much to start a flash flood around here.

You really should just stop trolling FFC. I don't think there are many posters on here who appreciate your eeyore like attitude.

They are starting to realize that they were a little bullish on their rainfall forecast amounts. It went from widespread 1-3" to 1-2" possible. Flash Flood Watch expires in less than 5 hours which says to me that most of the flooding concern should be over with by this evening.

I believe the bands of heavy rain in the FL panhandle are expected to head into the FFW area later today/evening.

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...
PRIMARY CONCERNS FOR THE SHORT TERM PERIOD WILL BE WHERE MODERATE
TO HEAVY RAIN AXIS SETS UP AND WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE WITH THE
FLASH FLOOD WATCH AS A RESULT. AFTER A WET START TO THE
DAY...ACTIVITY HAS DWINDLED FOR THE MOST PART WITH JUST SOME
PASSING SHOWERS THROUGH THE ATLANTA METRO NOW HEADING INTO
NORTHEAST GEORGIA. FOCUS NOW SHIFTS TO THE SOUTHEAST WHERE LOCAL
WRF AND HRRR HAVE BEEN BEEN HONING IN ON WITH THUNDERSTORMS
DEVELOPING NICELY OVER THE FAR SOUTHEAST AT THIS HOUR.
SPC SREF
SHOWS
INSTABILITY INCREASING AS WARM FRONT EASES NORTHWARD WITH
AREAS AROUND TOOMBS AND MONTGOMERY COUNTIES SHOWING IN EXCESS OF
J/KG OF AVAILABLE CAPE. WOULD EXPECT A LINE OF SHOWERS AND
STORMS TO DEVELOP IN THIS AREA AND PROGRESS TOWARD MACON LATER THIS
AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING. ADDITIONAL ACTIVITY COULD FORM AHEAD
OF THIS AS WELL IN THE MORE UNSTABLE SECTION FROM COLUMBUS TO JUST

SOUTH OF ATHENS.

hrw-nmm_eus_012_sim_radar.gif

Well, the sun ;has been out here a good bit since morning, so I'm hoping some heating might entice some moisture over here.  It's summmer, and all you can hope for, usually, is for some of the rain that forms, to fall over you.  I've been getting missed a lot, but one of these days I'll get hit, and I hope it's today.  Can't forecast for that....just have to say the signs are propiticious.  A good thumping can make up for a lot of ills, and compared to many recent summers I'm swimming in rain, lol.   And even though I picked up an inch while places with in a short range were getting 5 inches, if was gentle, soaked in, a constant dripping, a cad, in Aug, and 60's, and no mosquito's.  It's like paradise around here :) Tony

They are starting to realize that they were a little bullish on their rainfall forecast amounts. It went from widespread 1-3" to 1-2" possible. Flash Flood Watch expires in less than 5 hours which says to me that most of the flooding concern should be over with by this evening.

We received the heaviest rain down here after the flash flood watches were dropped. Not saying this is what will happen up there.

We just picked up a 0.23 in 4 minutes. Winds were easily gusting up 40+mph. Sunny now.

Please just stop... Ill take the opinion of educated meteorologists over an armchair quarterback 10 times out of 10. Wrong once again... Radar trends are troublesome and the NWS feels there is a threat. Even if we don't see flash flooding in the watch area it is good to have it posted.

FLOOD WATCH

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

403 PM EDT SUN AUG 18 2013

GAZ001>007-011>013-019>021-030>033-041>046-052>058-066>071-

078>083-089>096-102>110-191200-

/O.EXT.KFFC.FF.A.0009.000000T0000Z-130819T1200Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-CHATTOOGA-

GORDON-PICKENS-FLOYD-BARTOW-CHEROKEE-POLK-PAULDING-COBB-

NORTH FULTON-HARALSON-CARROLL-DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-

ROCKDALE-HEARD-COWETA-FAYETTE-CLAYTON-SPALDING-HENRY-BUTTS-TROUP-

MERIWETHER-PIKE-UPSON-LAMAR-MONROE-HARRIS-TALBOT-TAYLOR-CRAWFORD-

BIBB-TWIGGS-MUSCOGEE-CHATTAHOOCHEE-MARION-SCHLEY-MACON-PEACH-

HOUSTON-BLECKLEY-STEWART-WEBSTER-SUMTER-DOOLY-CRISP-PULASKI-

WILCOX-DODGE-TELFAIR-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CALHOUN...ROME...CARTERSVILLE...

MARIETTA...ATLANTA...CARROLLTON...DOUGLASVILLE...EAST POINT...

DECATUR...CONYERS...NEWNAN...PEACHTREE CITY...GRIFFIN...MACON...

COLUMBUS...WARNER ROBINS...LUMPKIN...AMERICUS...CORDELE

403 PM EDT SUN AUG 18 2013

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...

THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FOR

* PORTIONS OF CENTRAL GEORGIA...NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...

NORTHWEST GEORGIA AND WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA.

* THROUGH MONDAY MORNING

* THE COMBINATION OF AN APPROACHING UPPER LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM...

ABUNDANT MOISTURE AND A NEARLY STATIONARY FRONT ACROSS SOUTH

GEORGIA WILL RESULT IN THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAINFALL THIS

AFTERNOON. AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED HIGHER

AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE WATCH AREA.

* WITH SATURATED SOILS ALREADY IN PLACE...ANY HEAVY RAINFALL

AMOUNTS WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE A POTENTIAL FOR FLASH

FLOODING...TO INCLUDE RAPID RISES ON AREA CREEKS...STREAMS AND

RIVERS. ADDITIONALLY...BECAUSE OF THE SATURATED SOILS... THERE

IS ALSO A POTENTIAL FOR DOWNED TREES ACROSS THE AREA.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD

TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION

SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED.

&&

$$

Finally!  Got a good slug of rain coming up from Col/LaGrange from whence  all my good gulf rain cometh.  I might could get some real rain tonight!  Won't be holding my breath just yet, but soon maybe :)  Just hoping for rates beyond the three days of drizzle/drip I've been having.  I'd like to see some flooding/ run off for a change of pace.  T

TORNADO WARNING
GAC045-149-190030-
/O.NEW.KFFC.TO.W.0022.130818T2340Z-130819T0030Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
740 PM EDT SUN AUG 18 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
SOUTHWESTERN CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA
NORTHWESTERN HEARD COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA

* UNTIL 830 PM EDT

* AT 737 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR EPHESUS...
MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
BOWDON...ROOPVILLE...MOUNT ZION AND CARROLLTON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

WHEN A TORNADO WARNING IS ISSUED BASED ON DOPPLER RADAR...IT MEANS
THAT STRONG ROTATION HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE STORM. A TORNADO MAY
ALREADY BE ON THE GROUND...OR IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SHORTLY. IF YOU
ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS DANGEROUS STORM...MOVE INDOORS AND TO A
BASEMENT OR INTERIOR ROOM ON THE GROUND FLOOR. STAY AWAY FROM
WINDOWS. IF DRIVING...DO NOT SEEK SHELTER UNDER A HIGHWAY OVERPASS.

HEAVY RAINFALL MAY OBSCURE THIS TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW! IF YOU WAIT
TO SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT WILL BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFE
PLACE.

IF YOU SEE WIND DAMAGE...HAIL OR FLOODING...WAIT UNTIL THE STORM HAS
PASSED...AND THEN CALL THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOLL FREE AT 1 8
6 6 7 6 3 4 4 6 6. YOU CAN ALSO TWEET YOUR REPORT USING HASHTAG GAWX.

&&

LAT...LON 3370 8514 3353 8496 3333 8528 3355 8532
TIME...MOT...LOC 2340Z 229DEG 18KT 3345 8527

$

Lol that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw 2003. I read the post wrong. I was thinking he was saying 2003 is close to this year in terms of rainfall but he was actually referring to it being close in terms of lawn care. Right lol/Sean/Isopycnic?

Nope talking about often and how much rain we have had in my area. It has been hard for us to work. 2003 was closest to it

Nope talking about often and how much rain we have had in my area. It has been hard for us to work. 2003 was closest to it

Speaking of 2003 being the closest to to this year makes me wonder if we could use that winter as an example of this coming winter :whistle: . Was not the greatest winter(03-04) of all but considering the last couple of years wouldn't hurt. Last really decent winter around here was 09-10. As much rain we've had I would give it anything for the moisture we had and the cold to combine so it will snow @*$hole deep to a giraffe. :arrowhead:

2003 is the closest to this year. It has been a challenge this year in lawn care landscape industry. I know exactly what u talking about

Ah, then with a wet summer, this leads me to believe that we are due for a February 25th-26th, 2004 redux this winter! ;)

Haha, just kidding.  But I do hope.......... :)

In other news, it's raining.  Again.  I have barely watered the plants at all this year since it's rained so much.  It's been weeks.  KGSO is now 10.30" above normal for the year.

EDIT: LOL, ncweather appears to have had the same wintry thoughts as I had.  :lmao:  :pimp:

Ah, then with a wet summer, this leads me to believe that we are due for a February 25th-26th, 2004 redux this winter! ;)

Haha, just kidding.  But I do hope.......... :)

In other news, it's raining.  Again.  I have barely watered the plants at all this year since it's rained so much.  It's been weeks.  KGSO is now 10.30" above normal for the year.

EDIT: LOL, ncweather appears to have had the same wintry thoughts as I had.  :lmao:  :pimp:

You're not the only one having the same dirty wintry thoughts :weenie: ... 03 was a good year other than the Feb storm for me. :cry:  Scrolling back  http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rah/events/

:santa: Sure hope this year is better and adds alot more promis than recent years. Anway you said its raining. it may be a deleuge by the time you wake up. Given the setup it will probably tomorrow afternoon before it stops.

Got .85 this evening.  3/4's in about half an hour, around 8:30.  Closest I've had to a downpour like the rest of you describe, lol.  One of these days I'll get hit head on, instead of getting sideswiped.  Maybe tomorrow.  T

I did even better! 1.17" yesterday (most of that after 9pm) and another 0.17" since midnight today. Up to 3.07 for the month. I've had rain 4 days in a row now. 

Last night the rain started as we were going to bed. I told my wife that it figures that we would wait all day to see rain, only to have it hold off until we go to sleep. Not that I'm complaining about the rain, I just want to see it! :-)

I did even better! 1.17" yesterday (most of that after 9pm) and another 0.17" since midnight today. Up to 3.07 for the month. I've had rain 4 days in a row now. 

Last night the rain started as we were going to bed. I told my wife that it figures that we would wait all day to see rain, only to have it hold off until we go to sleep. Not that I'm complaining about the rain, I just want to see it! :-)

It must be nice to actually be excited about seeing rain.  Polar opposite in this neck of the woods; precipitation data from KAVL:

WEATHER ITEM    OBSERVED              NORMAL DEPARTURE  LAST

Precipitation      VALUE                     VALUE       FROM         YEAR

NORMAL

MONTH TO DATE       5.46                    2.55            2.91          2.39

SINCE JUN 1             28.12                   11.51           16.61          9.85

SINCE JAN 1             57.24                   29.76           27.48         28.49

Also check out the following article from Asheville Citizen Times:

Asheville tops US rainfall anomalies

Study looked at 180 cities' departure from normal

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20130819/NEWS/308190016/?sf16246046=1&nclick_check=1

Way to go Steve!  It's nice to feel included after all this time of being outcast :)  I've got you beat on the month though, I just got to  near 4 inches last night.   Well, 3.95 to be exact, but with the sun coming out finally around noon, the heating should be able to get me a mere .05, right?  Yeah, right, lol.  Can't count un hatched chickens in the cursed lands :)  Sure miss the cad.  The heat and humidity yesterday and today are very Aug. like. Oh, well, I can almost touch Sept.  Another summer survived pretty soon now.  That cad reminded me of just how much I love fall.  I got more done during those cad days that I have all summer :)   T

Wonder where all that heavy rain we are supposed to get is coming from ? Don't see any headed our way. Starting to think the Flash Flood Watch was unnecessary. FFC is calling for widespread 1-3" amounts with locally more. Probably should have said widespread .1-.3".

The flash flood watch verified with a few North Georgia counties being put under flood warnings yesterday evening and last night. The totals also verified.

We picked up 2.15 over the last 3 days.

Here are our monthly totals:

August to date: 9.07 inches

July: 16.73 inches

June 8.07 inches

We are also over 61 inches for the year!!!

This is ridiculous!!!!

1964 keeps showing up a lot in W.South Carolina as a big year also.

Pickens 78.46''

Anderson 77.40''

GSP 70.41''

Don't know if these are the records though.

Archived