• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Here comes the FLOOD, my beach trip is a dud

jburns

Nothing of note going on here in east-central NC.  There was only one cell which was on a trajectory to hit us and it is quickly dying.

Nothing here in the Fayetteville/Raleigh/Henderson corridor either. The main line to the west is nudging ever so slightly to the east, so by 9:00 pm or so, we might start to see some drizzle....or at the very least, hear the rain off to the west, if the wind is blowing from the right direction.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is not looking good for the southern escarpment i've already had 70.20 inches for the year. i can't imagine the flooding if we were to possibly get 5-10 inhes of rain this week.

Ya this is going to get petty interesting as we go into the week. Your area has had a tremendous amount of rain already this year as so has everywhere else also.

It's raining to beat the band, as my mom would say. I drove from downtown Durham to my house and it rained the entire way, quite heavily most of the time. Radar shows slow moving storms with 1-2" rates.

attachicon.gifnotbad.png

Didn't yall get hit hard by a slow moving cell this morning with flash flood warnings. Going to get crazy down that way.

Based on Weather Underground radar archive, it looks like the worst was just to my west. But it was wet here when I got up around 10.

Oh ok well that cell this morning was just not moving. Looks like a huge sloth of moisture moving from the south is going to plow through there. That line is running through there is moving very slowly. Good luck down there wildre.

Looks to me like round 1 misses all of the mountains and foothills of NC and SC tonight. Only scattered activity in these areas. Rain is moving more to the northeast than north. GSP mentioned a lull tomorrow afternoon so it could be Tuesday before many areas mentioned above see the widespread action.

Looks to me like round 1 misses all of the mountains and foothills of NC and SC tonight. Only scattered activity in these areas. Rain is moving more to the northeast than north. GSP mentioned a lull tomorrow afternoon so it could be Tuesday before many areas mentioned above see the widespread action.

Ya as the trough retrogrades so will the axis of heavy rain which means that there will be a general move to the West with each day I think.

Nothing here in the Fayetteville/Raleigh/Henderson corridor either. The main line to the west is nudging ever so slightly to the east, so by 9:00 pm or so, we might start to see some drizzle....or at the very least, hear the rain off to the west, if the wind is blowing from the right direction.

Based on the way the radar looks now, there won't be anything happening east of I-95 in the near future.

Arrived in Cherry Grove around 5pm. Interesting drive. Alternating periods of heavy rain and bright sun. sunny here at the beach with some storms to my south. Extremely limited wifi.

I know that feeling...Chic-Fil-A on 17 North got plenty of business from me a couple weeks ago.

Getting some rain now. It had been mosly to my west today. So tired of all this rain this spring and summer. Where was this in the winter the few times it was actually cold enough for snow? What a waste.

The next time we have a famine, I'll remind you of all that wasteful rain we experienced in Spring/Summer 2013.   :poster_oops:  :P

Seriously though, if I can't have snow in winter, this is a nice consolation prize:  lush flora, cooler temps, atypical WNC summer weather.  Not everyone shares in your dismay over this blessing, Brick.  There have been plenty of breaks in the clouds/rain in order to get in outdoor games and grilling parties so far this summer.  The rest of the time, it might as well be raining.  Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain...

The next time we have a famine, I'll remind you of all that wasteful rain we experienced in Spring/Summer 2013.   :poster_oops:  :P

Seriously though, if I can't have snow in winter, this is a nice consolation prize:  lush flora, cooler temps, atypical WNC summer weather.  Not everyone shares in your dismay over this blessing, Brick.  There have been plenty of breaks in the clouds/rain in order to get in outdoor games and grilling parties so far this summer.  The rest of the time, it might as well be raining.  Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain...

Not sure how excessive rain and flooding during the time of year when most folks like to do things outside and go to the beach and lake is a blessing. Rain is just miserable. It's summer. It should be sunny and hot. In winter, it should be snowing. Excessive rain and excessive cold with no snow are both miserable and a waste.

Not sure how excessive rain and flooding during the time of year when (1) most folks like to do things outside and go to the beach and lake is a blessing. Rain is just miserable. (2) It's summer. It should be sunny and hot. (3) In winter, it should be snowing. Excessive rain and excessive cold with no snow are both miserable and a waste.

I suppose you are relying on anecdotal evidence to support these three claims (the numbering is mine) rather than actual statistical data?   :whistle:

(1) I think you can find a good portion of the population who would never care to step outside, not that I endorse or agree with this trend.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/pedbike/inactive.cfm

(2) I think you'll find the summer months to be the wettest of all months, on average, in NC.  So, it's not exactly typical to always be sunny in summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_North_Carolina

(3) We all know you shouldn't really expect any snowfall if you live anywhere remotely close to Widreman's house.   :P

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, of course.  So, I'll get off your case for bemoaning the rainfall.  However, I trust you'll grant me that it's not a fait accompli for everyone to despise rainfall and cooler temperatures in summer?

I suppose you are relying on anecdotal evidence to support these three claims (the numbering is mine) rather than actual statistical data? :whistle:

(1) I think you can find a good portion of the population who would never care to step outside, not that I endorse or agree with this trend.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/pedbike/inactive.cfm

(2) I think you'll find the summer months to be the wettest of all months, on average, in NC. So, it's not exactly typical to always be sunny in summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_North_Carolina

(3) We all know you shouldn't really expect any snowfall if you live anywhere remotely close to Widreman's house. :P

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, of course. So, I'll get off your case for bemoaning the rainfall. However, I trust you'll grant me that it's not a fait accompli for everyone to despise rainfall and cooler temperatures in summer?

:clap: :clap:

Brick hates any sort of sensible weather, with the inconsistent exception of snow. I say inconsistent because even with snow, he often hates it because it's not enough.

Archived