Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Here comes the FLOOD, my beach trip is a dud

jburns

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a look at the total QPF (through Day 6) on the GFS...the model is doing its usual adjustment as we are getting closer to the event...really giving a broad brush to the entire region with 3 areas of enhancement (Gulf Coast, SC/GA Coast, SoApps).

gfs_namer_144_precip_ptot.gif

You can really see from CLT West to the Apps looks like the jackpot for some very pick totals next week.

On TWC, they just showed a picture of the possible tornado or funnel cloud whatever that was in North Myrtle Beach . It was sent from Daculawx. Isn't that a member on here? The one with the cool website, or it could be another Daculawx.

Could be our guy. Pretty intense storm though down there. They are going to get hammered with the rain this next week.

Could be our guy. Pretty intense storm though down there. They are going to get hammered with the rain this next week.

Yep, 4th of July us going to be a mess for the SE especially the 3 areas of enhancement shown on the GFS run including your area. That is the only day I'm hoping it doesn't rain. Tomorrow is apparently supposed to be a wet day down here. High is only 85 which is cool for June.

Yep, 4th of July us going to be a mess for the SE especially the 3 areas of enhancement shown on the GFS run including your area. That is the only day I'm hoping it doesn't rain. Tomorrow is apparently supposed to be a wet day down here. High is only 85 which is cool for June.

Ya that is a good bit below average. This is going to be interesting seeing this system play out across the SE.

Here is some info about this week from GSP.

UNSEASONABLY STRONG UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE WILL BECOME
ESTABLISHED ACROSS THE TENNESSEE AND MID-MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEYS
SUNDAY...AND REMAIN FOR SEVERAL DAYS. DEEP SOUTHERLY AHEAD OF THE
LOW WILL BRING AN UNUSUALLY MOIST AIR MASS INTO THE WESTERN
CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA. NUMEROUS TO WIDESPREAD SHOWERS
AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL DEVELOP ACROSS MOST OF THE AREA SUNDAY
THROUGH MID-WEEK. ALTHOUGH THE MOST ACTIVE PERIODS WILL BE DURING
THE AFTERNOONS AND EVENINGS...SHOWERS AND STORMS MAY CONTINUE WELL
INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. THE FORECAST PATTERN IS VERY CONDUCIVE
TO LOCALIZED VERY HEAVY RAINFALL AND FLASH FLOODING. HOWEVER...THE
EXPECTED LONG DURATION OF THE EVENT INDICATES THAT FLASH FLOODING
MAY GRADUALLY BECOME MORE WIDESPREAD AND SIGNIFICANT AS THE WEEK
PROGRESSES. THIS WILL BE ESPECIALLY TRUE ACROSS THE PIEDMONT...
ALTHOUGH ALL AREAS WILL FACE SOME THREAT OF FLASH FLOODING. FLASH
FLOOD WATCHES WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF THE AREA EARLY
NEXT WEEK.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
551 AM EDT SUN JUN 30 2013

...PROLONGED PERIOD OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS AND VERY HEAVY RAINFALL LIKELY TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY...

...FOURTH OF JULY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES WILL LIKELY BE IMPACTED...

A STAGNANT... YET VIGOROUS UPPER LEVEL PATTERN IS BRINGING
TOGETHER THE INGREDIENTS FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF THUNDERSTORMS AND VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA FOR MUCH OF THIS WEEK. WARM SOUTHERLY FLOW... RICH IN MOISTURE... IS DEVELOPING ACROSS FLORIDA AND THE CAROLINAS. AS HIGH PRESSURE ALOFT OVER THE WESTERN ATLANTIC AND AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE OVER THE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY MOVE WEST... THIS PLUME OF RICH MOISTURE WILL SHIFT WEST OVER GEORGIA AND REMAIN IN PLACE TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY. RAINFALL AMOUNTS TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY COULD RANGE FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS AROUND 5 INCHES POSSIBLE. FLOODING MAY ALSO OCCUR IF VERY HEAVY RAIN REPEATEDLY FALLS OVER THE SAME AREAS. IN ADDITION... SOME OF THESE STORMS COULD BE STRONG TO SEVERE WITH WIND GUSTS TO 60 MPH... HAIL AND FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING.

PERSONS PLANNING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES THIS WEEK... INCLUDING THOSE ON THE FOURTH OF JULY... SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND BEGIN MAKING CONTINGENCY PLANS IN CASE HAZARDOUS WEATHER THREATENS.

The WPC 5 day precip map shows about 1.50 to 1.75" through Friday for much of Georgia and East Alabama. Doesn't seem like that would create a lot of flooding issues.

Robert is pretty bullish on this first round:

Retweeted WXSOUTH (@WxSouth):

heavy showers/storms pull due north from #flwx into Georgia/Carolinas tonight #gawx #scwx #ncwx 1" to 3" possible this round …

Robert is pretty bullish on this first round:

Retweeted WXSOUTH (@WxSouth):

heavy showers/storms pull due north from #flwx into Georgia/Carolinas tonight #gawx#scwx#ncwx 1" to 3" possible this round …

I'm not sure but my hunch is that he's talking about eastern ga and the Carolina's. Not so much atlanta into eastern al.

I thought this was interesting from the JAX Forecast discussion.

...STRONG STORMS WITH GUSTY WINDS AND LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON... .UPDATE... DEEP AND MOIST SOUTHWEST FLOW CONTINUES ACROSS THE REGION WITH MORNING SOUNDINGS SHOWING AN AMAZING 20-25 KNOTS OF 0-6KM STEERING FLOW...WHICH IS FAIRLY STRONG FOR LATE JUNE AND HAS BASICALLY SHUT DOWN THE LOCAL SEA-BREEZE REGIME. THIS WILL ALLOW FOR MAINLY NUMEROUS SHOWER ACTIVITY TO DEVELOP OUT OF THE NORTHEAST GOMEX AND TRACK ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA IN THE DEEP TROPICAL/MOIST AIRMASS WITH PRECIP WATER AMOUNTS OF JUST OVER 2 INCHES.

this is not looking good for the southern escarpment i've already had 70.20 inches for the year. i can't imagine the flooding if we were to possibly get 5-10 inhes of rain this week.

I've lived here in Western North Carolina my entire life and it still amazes me to this day how your specific area in Transylvania County has such an amazing micro-climate...

70.2 inches of rain would be roughly 2 years worth of rain for McDowell County

Archived