amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June Obs.

dsaur

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.46" with evening storms. Saw a funnel cloud earlier as well.

Damage reports coming in and enough reports from people that saw the tornado to make me believe the tornado warnings are going to verify....funny the SPC put us in a slight risk then took it away. 

2230   6 NE ROLESVILLE FRANKLIN NC 3598 7838 TORNADO OBSERVED CROSSING TARBORO ROAD NEAR HARRIS CHAPEL BAPTIST CHURCH ... NUMEROUS TREES AND POWER LINES DOWN ... ROAD IS BLOCKED (RAH) 2230   5 NE ROLESVILLE FRANKLIN NC 3598 7839 DOUBLE WIDE MOBILE HOME OFF FOUNDATION AND SIDING BLOWN OFF NEAR WYNFIELD AND US 401

Here its pretty run of the mill stuff, a little thunder but the rain is pretty heavy....Hopefully someone got pictures or video of the tornado I saw one good shot of a wall cloud on WRAL so far 

Damage reports coming in and enough reports from people that saw the tornado to make me believe the tornado warnings are going to verify....funny the SPC put us in a slight risk then took it away. 

2230   6 NE ROLESVILLE FRANKLIN NC 3598 7838 TORNADO OBSERVED CROSSING TARBORO ROAD NEAR HARRIS CHAPEL BAPTIST CHURCH ... NUMEROUS TREES AND POWER LINES DOWN ... ROAD IS BLOCKED (RAH) 2230   5 NE ROLESVILLE FRANKLIN NC 3598 7839 DOUBLE WIDE MOBILE HOME OFF FOUNDATION AND SIDING BLOWN OFF NEAR WYNFIELD AND US 401

Here its pretty run of the mill stuff, a little thunder but the rain is pretty heavy....Hopefully someone got pictures or video of the tornado I saw one good shot of a wall cloud on WRAL so far 

I'm sure Poimen could give you some details of the possible tornado in Franklin County......numerous damage reports within a few miles of him (he's had a decent stretch of severe as of late!)  Got this photo off of ABC11, would appear this house probably saw the worst of it..........

skcx.jpg

A storm survey team will be visiting portions of Franklin County today and adjacent areas to survey possible tornado damage from yesterday's storm. 

There were several reports of damage and multiple trained spotters who observed a funnel cloud/tornado. In addition, NWS meteorologists have identified what appears to be a Tornado Debris Signature (TDS) on the newly upgraded dual-polarization radar system. The TDS is indicative of non-meteorological items (leaves, grass, shingles, etc.) being detected by the radar that are associated with a tornado. 

The image below shows the TDS on the NWS radar at 631 PM EDT or 2231 UTC. By definition, a TDS exists when there is an area of high reflectivity coinciding with a tight rotational signature, a localized area of lower correlation coefficient (typically below 0., and usually differential reflectivity near 0.

Here are some recent observations from the survey team...

Leaving the intersection of Quail Drive and Sid Eaves Road. Lots of tree damage. Eyewitness here saw funnel but said it only descended to tree tops - consistent w/damage here.

Examining damage at Hwy 401 and Thompson Lane. 

While we are still trying to find a possible "touchdown" location, we estimate that wind speeds w/damage so far was as high as 75 mph.

Here are some recent observations from the survey team...

Leaving the intersection of Quail Drive and Sid Eaves Road. Lots of tree damage. Eyewitness here saw funnel but said it only descended to tree tops - consistent w/damage here.

Examining damage at Hwy 401 and Thompson Lane. 

While we are still trying to find a possible "touchdown" location, we estimate that wind speeds w/damage so far was as high as 75 mph.

Just saw that..... pretty cool to get instant updates from the NWS survey team like that!  Looking right now like an EF0 but wonder once the structural damage to any residence is surveyed will push it to weak EF1

1. On ground for 1.25 miles. avg width 75 yards,150 yards at it's widest. Starting point 35.9757/-78.3932 ending: 35.9782/-78.3744

2. Just wrapped up survey...here's what we found... EF0 Tornado with max winds of 85 mph.

...Tornado confirmed southwest of Louisburg in Franklin County

North Carolina...

This is a preliminary summary; additional information including the time of touchdown, other associated damage and additional information will be provided later this afternoon.

Location...southwest of Louisburg in Franklin County North Carolina

Date...June 18 2013

Maximum EF-scale rating...EF0

Estimated maximum wind speed...85 MPH

Maximum path width...150 yards

Path length...1.2 miles

Beginning lat/lon...35.9757N / -78.3932W

Ending lat/lon...35.9782N / -78.3744W

Fatalities...0

Injuries...0

Mar to May period was well below normal in the southeast

:wub:  

Currently it's 79 degrees imby :)   I've only been sideswiped with a few sprinkles the past couple of days, but I'm not complaining. I've enjoyed the cooler temps as the outflow boundaries have rolled through  ^_^

This year's March-April-May period bucked the recent trend of warm springs. The previous three springs all ranked among the top 20 warmest on record, including the spring of 2012 that was the warmest on record for North Carolina and much of the country. As the table below shows, most locations were 6 to 8 degrees cooler this spring compared to the spring of 2012.

http://nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climateblog?id=25

86 with heavy rain. Looks like we maxed out today at 86 which was the forecast high. Loving this cool and wet start to summer so far.

Edit: Sunny and 88 two hours later. Probably going to reach 90 soon. Highs has been 2-4 degrees above forecast highs for most of the month.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

A nice steady light rain, excellent for the garden.  June hasn't been bad at all here in eastern NC; mild and moist.  Of course, last June was also mild and moist and then in July, the RIDGE OF DEATH set up shop.  Hopefully that doesn't happen this year.

A nice steady light rain, excellent for the garden. June hasn't been bad at all here in eastern NC; mild and moist. Of course, last June was also mild and moist and then in July, the RIDGE OF DEATH set up shop. Hopefully that doesn't happen this year.

I don't remember last June being mild. I know Atlanta had its all time hottest temp on record of 106 last June.

This is the wettest and coolest Spring and start to Summer that I can ever remember. Pouring rain again. Unsettled weather looks to continue for the foreseeable future. This is fantastic.

Pshhht... more like warmest and wettest, well not warmest. Last year was much cooler here. We had a -3 departure. This year we have a +3 departure so far. Last year we probably would have been -4 or -5 but that heatwave at the end of the month. This year we might have been +4, but that 75 degree from Andrea brought it down. We have had lots of rain though this month. Last year was wet also but not as wet as this year.

Look at the next 6-14 days. Very wet. I'm shooting for 10 inches of rain in my backyard.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610prcp.new.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814prcp.new.gif

Pshhht... more like warmest and wettest, well not warmest. Last year was much cooler here. We had a -3 departure. This year we have a +3 departure so far. Last year we probably would have been -4 or -5 but that heatwave at the end of the month. This year we might have been +4, but that 75 degree from Andrea brought it down. We have had lots of rain though this month. Last year was wet also but not as wet as this year.

Look at the next 6-14 days. Very wet. I'm shooting for 10 inches of rain in my backyard.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610prcp.new.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814prcp.new.gif

Yeah, it certainly looks to continue to be wet. I haven't looked at the departures from normal vs. last year for my neck of the woods. Maybe the lack of hot makes it seem cooler than it really is. All I know is that it has felt great and we've had more days in the 70s and less days in the 90s to this point than I anectodally ever remember.

This has by no means been a cool June. Temps are running 0.3 above normal in Atlanta this month, so pretty much just your typical June weather. Not sure why everyone thinks this month has been so much cooler than usual. Maybe because the last few summers were so hot it has skewed people's perception on what a normal summer is like in the south.

This has by no means been a cool June. Temps are running 0.3 above normal in Atlanta this month, so pretty much just your typical June weather. Not sure why everyone thinks this month has been so much cooler than usual. Maybe because the last few summers were so hot it has skewed people's perception on what a normal summer is like in the south.

Yeah it really hasn't been cool. March and April definitely were though. June was not cool by any means.

Archived