• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

Yeah I don't think the concerns powerball laid out should come to fruition on this one, the low level flow out over the Plains and eventually into this region is going to be very strong and extend far north, the warm front should blast through here with no issues.

Given how fickle convection is, we ultimately won't know how this all plays out until it actually plays out

But this same game has been played time and time again. The MCS, instead of following the main flow, follows the instability axis SE, thus making forecasting it all a huge pain as the outflows and mesoscale features from the MCS screws up the overall synoptic pattern. It warm front will eventually get north of the region and the warner weather/ridging will eventually arrive, it's just a matter of when.

GRR and DTX mentioned this as well in their AM discussion.

FXUS63 KDTX 251101

AFDDTX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

325 AM EDT SAT MAY 25 2013

LONG TERM...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY

THE MID LEVEL RIDGE IS FORECAST TO BREAK DOWN EARLY NEXT WEAK AS

NUMEROUS SHORT WAVE IMPULSES ARE EJECTED OUT OF THE LONG WAVE TROUGH

OVER THE WRN US AND ACROSS THE CNTRL/NRN PLAINS. THE BULK OF THE 00Z

MODEL SUITE SUGGEST MCS DEVELOPMENT ACROSS THE UPPER MIDWEST OR WRN

GREAT LAKES MON AFTERNOON/NIGHT AS LOW LEVEL INFLOW STRENGTHENS. THE

POTENTIAL FOR REMNANT MCS ACTIVITY TO ADVANCE INTO SE MI REMAINS

HIGHLY UNCERTAIN AT THIS TIME. WHILE SEVERAL MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE

QUITE BULLISH WITH QPF OVER SE MI MON NIGHT AND TUES...THERE IS

LIKELY SOME SEMBLANCE OF CONVECTIVE FEEDBACK IN THE MODELS. THERE IS

ALSO CONCERN THAT THE MODELS HAVE A POOR HANDLING OF MCS

PROPAGATION...WHICH COULD LEAD TO REMNANT CONVECTION BEING MUCH

FARTHER SOUTH. THUS PLAN TO CARRY VERY LOW CHANCE POPS TUESDAY.

PERSISTENT LOW LEVEL S-SWLY FLOW SHOULD HOWEVER LIFT A WARMER AND

MORE HUMID AIRMASS INTO SRN LOWER MI BY MID WEEK...MARKED BY THE

PASSAGE OF A SFC WARM FRONT. THIS WILL JUSTIFY A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS/THUNDERSTORMS LATE TUES THROUGH WED.

FXUS63 KGRR 251133

AFDGRR

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI

733 AM EDT SAT MAY 25 2013

.LONG TERM...(MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY)

ISSUED AT 329 AM EDT SAT MAY 25 2013

THE FORECAST BECOMES MORE COMPLICATED INTO THE SUNDAY NIGHT AND

MEMORIAL DAY PERIOD.  A WARM FRONT IS TO DEVELOP TO OUR SOUTH AND

THE MODELS ARE NOT IN GOOD AGREEMENT AS TO WHERE THIS FRONT WILL

BE...ANYWHERE FROM FAR SOUTHERN INDIANA TO NEAR THE MI/IN BORDER.

THE MORE NORTHERN SOLUTIONS HAVE ELEVATED CONVECTION INTO FAR SW

LOWER MI LATE SUNDAY NIGHT...THAN SPREADS THAT INTO MUCH OF WESTERN

MI MONDAY AFTERNOON.  HAVE DECIDED TO ADD LOW CHANCE POPS TO MUCH OF

THE AREA MONDAY AFTERNOON.  AND AS MENTIONED THE FAR SW CWA MAY SEE

A FEW SHOWERS AS EARLY AS LATE SUNDAY NIGHT.  THIS WILL HAVE TO BE

FINE TUNED WITH TIME...BUT THERE IS AT LEAST A CHANCE THAT MONDAY

DOES NOT REMAIN TOTALLY DRY.

.LONG TERM...(MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY)

ISSUED AT 337 AM EDT SAT MAY 25 2013

TIMING OF CONVECTION WITH THE WARM FRONT LIFTING THROUGH LOWER

MICHIGAN NEXT WEEK IS THE PRIMARY FORECAST PROBLEM IN THE

EXTENDED. AS IN MANY OF THESE SITUATIONS...THE EFFECT OF CONVECTION

TRAINING ALONG THE FRONT COULD IMPEDE ITS NORTHWARD PROGRESS...SO

WILL SPREAD POPS THROUGH TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY...WITH THE HIGHEST

POPS ON TUESDAY NIGHT. ONCE AGAIN THE GFS IS QUICKER THAN THE ECMWF

IN BRINGING THE FRONT THROUGH...SO POPS ARE ALSO SHADED A BIT HIGHER

ON TUESDAY TO ACCOUNT FOR THIS.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

almost time to start a thread about the much above rainfall this year the first 5 months...can we break records or at least top 5's in many locations for the year

so far at PIA as of yesterday 21.96 +8.55 or 164% of normal

Meanwhile, in other parts of the subforum, dry is the word.

FWA for May 0.53" -2.59"

Granted we are still +1.61" for the year, but the tap has been shut off for several weeks around here.

I'll affirm the idea of much heavier rain totals farther westward.  The first week of May I took some vacation time and saw Cataract Falls south of Greencastle in west central IN in the greatest flow of water I have ever seen it.  The Illinois river was in major flood at Peoria at that time.  I traveled southeast to Clifty Falls State Park by Madison and the water was in modest summer flow.

Miserable late May day around here.  I've had over an inch of rain as the slow-moving MCS keeps on hanging on.  Part of central Iowa got 3-4 inches.  The WPC's latest 3-day qpf map has another 3-4 inches falling across the same area.  Later in the week more heavy rain could fall as the western trough finally moves into the midwest.  This is on top of very heavy rain through April into early May.

Latest WPC 7-day precip forecast... yikes.

p168i.gif

Miserable late May day around here.  I've had over an inch of rain as the slow-moving MCS keeps on hanging on.  Part of central Iowa got 3-4 inches.  The WPC's latest 3-day qpf map has another 3-4 inches falling across the same area.  Later in the week more heavy rain could fall as the western trough finally moves into the midwest.  This is on top of very heavy rain through April into early May.

Latest WPC 7-day precip forecast... yikes.

p168i.gif

Question for you...has any corn sprouted... has it even been planted?

I know of fields around here that still haven't been planted...

I haven't noticed if any has sprouted(haven't been out of the city much), but it has been pretty dry the last 2+ weeks so the farmers must have planted as much as possible.

The farm fields around here that weren't flooded have corn up a good 6-10".  Flooded fields that have recently dried out either haven't been planted yet or have been planted within the last week.

Finished the day with 1.18" of rain.  The trend of nearly all our rain this year coming from stratiform events continues. DVN hasn't issued a flood watch for tonight because they are not sure where the next MCS will track.

It's freezing today, but each of the next three days should see a 10 degree bump in the temp.

Tomorrow doesn't promise to be too much better then today. East winds instead of NE winds should help it get a little warmer though.

Sunday might be the 3rd day with a low under 40° Wonder how rare this is for the last part of May...

The H8 front lit up again overnight across Iowa(potential development area farther southwest remained capped).  Once again it has been the area 2-3 counties to my west and sw that have been hit hardest.  Several inches of rain has fallen in a few spots over there the last two mornings.  The rain has struggled a bit more to make its way into CR today, but it's coming down pretty good now and there's a big complex now moving across Iowa.  It may weaken some by the time it gets here.  This is still just the start of a potential week of heavy rain for Iowa.  The WPC has the entire state getting 5-7 inches on top of what has fallen the last two days.

Can't buy any good rainfall here this May. Currently at 0.99" -2.36" at LAF for the month. Not holding my breath that any of these MCSs will produce much of anything locally.

First 90º of the season looks probable on Wednesday and/or Thursday. MEX has 88º and 87º respectively. Awful. 

Point for today has been dropped back to 60, but even that is probably still too warm.  Still in the low 50s with more rain complexes festering to the west.  Tomorrow's forecast calls for mid 70s, but there's a high bust potential with that as well.  Just a miserable holiday weekend for outdoor activities.  Tomorrow was supposed to be a pool party/cookout.  Now it looks like we'll be grilling out under umbrellas with hoodies on lol.

Many models now spitting out impressive rain totals in the next 48-60 hours.  GFS and NAM both up around 2", and the LSX WRF looks active with MCS activity as well.  I was skeptical of how far east these MCS' would track, but I guess it is looking better to get some of the action as early as overnight tonight, and especially tomorrow night into Tuesday.

Up to 57 with partly sunny skies. An improvement over yesterday, but definitely not beach or pool weather. - unless you got a heated pool!

It seems like this is the slowest starts to consistent warm wx that I can remember.

Pretty wet to DLL on the 12z GFS.

GFS_3_2013052612_F72_PCPIN_72_HR.png

Can't buy any good rainfall here this May. Currently at 0.99" -2.36" at LAF for the month. Not holding my breath that any of these MCSs will produce much of anything locally.

First 90º of the season looks probable on Wednesday and/or Thursday. MEX has 88º and 87º respectively. Awful.

We would basically wipe out our short term precip surplus (since March 1) if no rain falls in the next week. Still in pretty good shape if going from January 1. We might get enough rain to hold it off.

Up to 57 with partly sunny skies. An improvement over yesterday, but definitely not beach or pool weather. - unless you got a heated pool!

It seems like this is the slowest starts to consistent warm wx that I can remember.

Pretty wet to DLL on the 12z GFS.

GFS_3_2013052612_F72_PCPIN_72_HR.png

I'm sure the LAF guys are loving that map. :axe:

Archived