gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Spring in New Jersey, New York and Connecticut Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah pretty amazing turnaround from what the models were showing a couple days ago. gfs basically <.10" the next 8 days

..last i checked here (thurs nite)..it was doom and gloom for next week(E wind,low clouds/fog..etc) but 

thats a nice turnaround..hope it holds.

dense fog..44* here in eastport

From Upton:

I AM NOT SURE I HAVE EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE WHAT THE ECMWF IS

SHOWING FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK. THE 12Z RUN BRINGS A CLOSED H5

LOW FROM NEAR GREENLAND WED SWWD TO A POINT 300 MI E OF CAPE COD

ON FRI THEN FURTHER SWD TO A POINT 600 MI E OF HATTERAS SAT. THE

00Z RUN IS VERY SIMILAR.

Anyone have maps of that? Must be a heck of maritime HP up there.

From Upton:

I AM NOT SURE I HAVE EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE WHAT THE ECMWF IS

SHOWING FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK. THE 12Z RUN BRINGS A CLOSED H5

LOW FROM NEAR GREENLAND WED SWWD TO A POINT 300 MI E OF CAPE COD

ON FRI THEN FURTHER SWD TO A POINT 600 MI E OF HATTERAS SAT. THE

00Z RUN IS VERY SIMILAR.

Anyone have maps of that? Must be a heck of maritime HP up there.

The piece of energy drops down just east of the ridge axis.

I am assuming a strong block over Canadian maritimes is the cause of this kind of modeled retrogression. If I'm wrong, please let me know what's causing this. Always a student.

OK, maybe I didn't quite understand you.  Usually when someone says "maritime hp" they mean a surface high which is situated to the northeast, bringing an onshore, maritime flow into the Northeast. 

Does a dry spring yields a wet summer? 

Like famartin said, there's no clear connection.

However, I will mention that April 1985 was very dry across the tri-state region and Hurricane Gloria hit the area that September. 1999 was rather dry in some areas and then Tropical Storm Floyd brought excessive rainfall that September...

Like famartin said, there's no clear connection.

However, I will mention that April 1985 was very dry across the tri-state region and Hurricane Gloria hit the area that September. 1999 was rather dry in some areas and then Tropical Storm Floyd brought excessive rainfall that September...

I did a single site (Central Park, since that's all most people care about) comparison.  1999 was actually in the middle third when I divided up springs between driest, middle and wettest.  For Bridgeport (shorter period of record), 1999 just barely gets into the drier third. 

This spring has been excellent so far, actually dead on near normal. Spring is supposed to be one of the nicest, if not the nicest, most pleasant season with long days and milder temperatures that have yet to reach uncomfortable levels. 

Very little, if any rain is forecast for the next 7 days, so it's a slight concern. Yesterday's couple tenths of an inch were good for washing away some of that pollen, but not enough to repair the fairly dry conditions this month. I would be more concerned if we get barely get any rain the next two weeks.

I did a single site (Central Park, since that's all most people care about) comparison.  1999 was actually in the middle third when I divided up springs between driest, middle and wettest.  For Bridgeport (shorter period of record), 1999 just barely gets into the drier third. 

I only looked at two stations across Connecticut and while April 1999 was the driest on record for Windsor Locks, Conn., it just ranked 7th driest near Bridgeport. Perhaps it was drier northeast and wetter southwest.

Also, the month of April isn't exactly representative of an entire season. The 1999/1985 stats are fun tidbits to think about, but there's not much science between any legitimate correlations.

Archived