Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Spring in New Jersey, New York and Connecticut Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Southern hemisphere is running .4 below normal

- besides so much data has been falsified there is most likely a hidden agenda like with every other political issue

-

1. Looking at NCDC data (which is only through February) the southern hemisphere is running 0.52 above normal

2. Regarding falsified data, it depends on where you get your data, satellite measurements indicate warming.

Its a normal spring so far

I feel it's kind of late landscaping wise. This will be our first week cutting and we will not be doing everyone. The trees I would say are still about 50% bare, with the rest starting to flower. Obv way behind last year, but last year was not normal.

I feel it's kind of late landscaping wise. This will be our first week cutting and we will not be doing everyone. The trees I would say are still about 50% bare, with the rest starting to flower. Obv way behind last year, but last year was not normal.

I agree that we're a little behind. Here in Dobbs Ferry, most of the maples don't even have the red pre-buds not to mention actual flowering; this means we're at least two weeks from leaf-out. Considering that the maples usually leaf out in the 4/20-4/30 time frame, and have been completely leafed out as early as 4/15 in warm years like 2010, things are delayed a bit. A few magnolia, Bradford pears, and apples are blooming but they're not out in large numbers yet. Two more days of relative warmth with 61F and sunny tomorrow should bring these flowering species into peak color, but warmer years have seen them peak in the first week of April. The landscape is just beginning to liven up at this point, a process that usually has been in motion for two weeks in the recent milder years. 

To add to the delayed spring, many colder areas of the suburbs (such as Orange/Putnam Counties and the LI Pine Barrens) could see freezing conditions Sunday morning as a 1036mb high pressure crests over the region with 850s around -5C for NYC metro. For Southern Westchester, at least a light frost is likely. Here is the 18z GFS at 90 hours showing the frosty morning:

post-475-0-68262800-1366248368_thumb.gif

Guest Pamela

The green-up here is usually between May 1st and May 10th...last year's was the earliest I can recall, taking place by mid-April...this year's looks to be within the normal range...when I lived in Plainview...it averaged about 5 days earlier.

Guest Patrick

shocked that the grass is still dormant down your way. really greened up here...the neighbors at the lower end of my street needed their first cut.

We just got some budding on the Maple trees this week. The grass is still dormant.

shocked that the grass is still dormant down your way. really greened up here...the neighbors at the lower end of my street needed their first cut.

A lot of my front lawn is in the shade for 90% of the day so that might have something to do with it. The same spots that are the last to lose the snow pack are usually the last to turn green.

That big cold anomaly focused over the upper midwest is a real outlier for April compared  the average over

the last decade.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BISMARCK ND
946 AM CDT MON APR 15 2013 /846 AM MDT MON APR 15 2013/

...A HISTORIC SNOWSTORM FOR BISMARCK NORTH DAKOTA ON APRIL 14 2013...

AT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN BISMARCK...RECORDS GO
BACK TO 1875.

SNOWFALL TOTAL FOR APRIL 14 2013 WAS 17.3 INCHES. THE STORM TOTAL
WAS 17.7 INCHES. A TENTH OF AN INCH (0.1) FELL ON APRIL 13...17.3
INCHES FELL ON APRIL 14...AND THREE TENTHS OF AN INCH (0.3) FELL
ON APRIL 15.

THE 17.3 INCHES OF SNOW THAT FELL IN BISMARCK SUNDAY BROKE THE
RECORD FOR THE DATE...APRIL 14...OF 5.0 INCHES FROM 1986.

THE RECORD SNOWFALL FOR ANY DAY IN APRIL IS BROKEN. IT WAS 15.2
INCHES ON APRIL 5 1997.

THE RECORD SNOWFALL FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH OF APRIL WAS 18.7 INCHES
IN 1984. IT IS NOW...21.5 INCHES SO FAR THIS APRIL...2013 (AS OF 9
AM CDT APRIL 15).

THE RECORD FOR THE MOST SNOW ON ANY CALENDAR DAY OF THE YEAR IN
BISMARCK WAS 15.5 INCHES ON MARCH 3...1966. IT IS NOW...17.3
INCHES ON APRIL 14 2013.

$

HUBER/MARTIN

Maybe this will spark some discussion....

Has a PDS watch box ever been issued anywhere in the northeast?

Should PDS watch boxes be issued for standard severe thunderstorm watches such as in the case of a derecho like the mid-atlantic saw last year?

Are thunderstorm watch boxes and warnings over used and has this led to a state of complacency?

Has a PDS watch box ever been issued anywhere in the northeast?

Should PDS watch boxes be issued for standard severe thunderstorm watches such as in the case of a derecho like the mid-atlantic saw last year?

Are thunderstorm watch boxes and warnings over used and has this led to a state of complacency?

Yes there have been PDS boxes in the Northeast

There have been many  PDS severe thunderstorm watches for widespread damaging wind potential

I don't think they are over used, I just don't think the public totally understands what they mean which is pretty sad.

Yes there have been PDS boxes in the Northeast

There have been many  PDS severe thunderstorm watches for widespread damaging wind potential

I don't think they are over used, I just don't think the public totally understands what they mean which is pretty sad.

When was the last time a PDS box was issued for the northeast?

Implying a very active hurricane season this year?

not at all.  there was a recent paper which talked about the PDO's impact on climate change and it mentioned the recent negative period as a cause to the slowed warming of the past 10 years

Archived