• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

Nice eyewall... that last pic is pretty sweet.

You've captured some great thunderstorm pics so far.

I will say the Champlain Valley is a secret "weenie" thunderstorm zone, usually with big, wide open vantage points and usually enhanced storms by the warmer/humid conditions in the valley along with low level wind funneling ahead of any front.  There's usually some good low level shear with winds funneling more southerly up the valley ahead of a front, instead of SW like other areas.

There are definitely some great vantage points and that is great for me because I love thunderstorms and chasing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are definitely some great vantage points and that is great for me because I love thunderstorms and chasing.

Get up on Spear Street south of University of Vermont while a squall line is approaching from the Adirondacks.  Its only at like 400ft of elevation but its just enough for a great view out over the lake with wide views northwest to southwest.  I always used to go up there to watch squall lines approach.  Then once they pass, if there is clearing behind the storm, you get that awesome back-lit look of Tcu as it hits the Greens.

From near drought conditions to having too much water.  BTV and Chittenden County has gotten crushed lately and May will now come in quite a bit above normal in the precipitation department, especially with an additional 1-3" over the next 72 hours. 

4.41" of rainfall in the past 60 hours at BTV if I did my math right... with this evening's rainfall producing 0.5" in 20 minutes, with 1.26" in an hour at the ASOS. 

Travel in the most populated county in VT is pretty tough this evening...bridge washouts, roads closed, etc.

000NWUS51 KBTV 240219LSRBTV..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..1033 PM     FLASH FLOOD      WESTFORD                44.61N  73.01W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            BRIDGE WASHOUT ON ROUTE 15 NEAR HOUSE NUMBER 805
PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARYNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT1019 PM EDT THU MAY 23 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0700 PM     FLASH FLOOD      2 SSW UNDERHILL         44.50N  72.95W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   TRAINED SPOTTER            WATER RUNNING ACROSS BROWNS TRACE ROAD AND CULVERTS            OVERFLOWING.0753 PM     FLASH FLOOD      1 ESE UNDERHILL         44.52N  72.93W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   PUBLIC            2 FEET OF WATER FLOWING OVER RIVER ROAD NEAR CHAMBERLIN            FARM MARKET0833 PM     FLASH FLOOD      1 N UNDERHILL           44.54N  72.95W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            WATER FLOWING OVER ROUTE 15...CILLEY HILL ROAD...AND            POKER HILL ROAD0835 PM     FLASH FLOOD      2 N RICHMOND            44.44N  72.99W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            WATER FLOWING OVER GOVERNOR PECK ROAD0836 PM     FLASH FLOOD      1 WSW RICHMOND          44.40N  73.01W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            WATER FLOWING OVER HUNTINGTON ROAD0847 PM     FLASH FLOOD      1 W JERICHO             44.51N  73.02W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   PUBLIC            SLEEPY HOLLOW ROAD PARTIALLY WASHED OUT0850 PM     FLASH FLOOD      2 S ESSEX JUNCTION      44.46N  73.11W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   PUBLIC            1-2 FEET OF WATER COVERING WHITE WATER CIRCLE0913 PM     FLASH FLOOD      SHELBURNE               44.38N  73.23W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   PUBLIC            BAY ROAD IN SHELBURNE CLOSED DUE TO FLOODING0916 PM     FLASH FLOOD      1 SSW CLOVERDALE        44.60N  72.94W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   FIRE DEPT/RESCUE            ROUTE 15 CLOSED BETWEEN COWIE ROAD AND SEYMOUR ROAD DUE            TO WATER FLOWING OVER ROADWAY...POSSIBLE WASHOUT.0923 PM     FLASH FLOOD      2 NE UNDERHILL CENTER   44.52N  72.88W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   EMERGENCY MNGR            WATER FLOWING OVER PLESANT VALLEY ROAD0936 PM     FLASH FLOOD      1 W JERICHO             44.50N  73.02W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   PUBLIC            ROUTE 15 CLOSED NEAR WEED ROAD1012 PM     FLASH FLOOD      UNDERHILL               44.53N  72.95W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            WIDESPREAD ROAD CLOSURES INCLUDING VT 15...CILLEY HILL            RD...NORTH UNDERHILL STATION RD...PAIGE RD...AND DAUDLIN            RD1014 PM     FLASH FLOOD      CLOVERDALE              44.60N  72.93W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            MULTIPLE ROAD CLOSURES IN WESTFORD INCLUDING VT 128...            VT 15... AND OSGOOD STONE RD1016 PM     FLASH FLOOD      JEFFERSONVILLE          44.64N  72.83W05/23/2013                   LAMOILLE           VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            VT 109 CLOSED DUE TO FLOODING1017 PM     FLASH FLOOD      WILLISTON               44.44N  73.07W05/23/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            VT 116 CLOSED NEAR VAN SICKLEN ROAD

Get up on Spear Street south of University of Vermont while a squall line is approaching from the Adirondacks.  Its only at like 400ft of elevation but its just enough for a great view out over the lake with wide views northwest to southwest.  I always used to go up there to watch squall lines approach.  Then once they pass, if there is clearing behind the storm, you get that awesome back-lit look of Tcu as it hits the Greens.

Thank you for the tip!

Some of the snow commentary from this morning’s BTV NWS forecast discussion is added below; it’s not every season that the mention of snow is this pervasive in the discussion covering Memorial Day Weekend.  It sounds like there’s not too much to worry about in terms of vegetation damage down low where the trees already have a lot of leaves.  The trees up high are either non-existent, evergreen, or haven’t put too much foliage out because they know it’s still only May:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

721 AM EDT FRI MAY 24 2013

.SYNOPSIS...

A DEVELOPING COASTAL SYSTEM WILL BRING ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AND MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES TO THE NORTH COUNTRY THIS WEEKEND. THE ADDITIONAL RAINFALL WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT RISES ON LOCAL WATERWAYS...WITH SOME RIVER FLOODING POSSIBLE. TEMPERATURES WILL BE 15 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL WITH SOME HIGH ELEVATION ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL POSSIBLE ON SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY. A WARMING AND DRYING TREND WILL OCCUR BY EARLY NEXT WEEK.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

A LONG DURATION RAIN WITH SOME ACCUMULATING MTN SNOW EVENT EXPECTED TODAY THROUGH SUNDAY. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES WITH LOCALIZED 3 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED BY SUNDAY...WITH SHARP RISES EXPECTED ON AREA WATERWAYS.

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY/...

SNOWFALL...STILL HAVING A HARD TIME BELIEVING ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE ACRS THE MTNS ABOVE 2500 FT ON SAT INTO SUNDAY. GFS/NAM BUFKIT SOUNDINGS AND ECMWF PROFILES HAVE INDICATED THIS POTENTIAL FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS...AS COLDER AIR IS WRAPPED INTO THE SYSTEM. PROGGED 85H TEMPS DROP BLW 0C BY TONIGHT...WITH 1000 TO 500MB THICKNESS VALUES BLW 540DAM. THIS COMBINED WITH SOME COOLING FROM STRONG DYNAMICS WL HELP TO PRODUCE SOME ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ACRS THE DACKS AND GREEN MTNS ABOVE 2500FT. WL TRY TO SHOW IN GRIDS...BUT IMPACTS WL BE MINIMAL GIVEN THE HIGH SNOW LEVELS. THINKING A DUSTING TO SEVERAL INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW WL BE POSSIBLE...WITH 6 INCHES OR SO FOR THE SUMMITS FROM MT MANSFIELD TO JAY PEAK AND ACRS PARTS OF THE EASTERN DACKS BY SUNDAY. BEST CHC FOR ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WL BE SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY MORNING.

Had another 1.07" of rain overnight.  Up to 3.69" for May now and surely another 1-2" on the way.

Still in the warm murky sector although I see the cooler temps off to the west.

Can't believe it might snow in places.

Haven't mowed the lawn in 10 days or so.  Might just bail it up at this point.  ;)

Had another 1.07" of rain overnight.  Up to 3.69" for May now and surely another 1-2" on the way.

Still in the warm murky sector although I see the cooler temps off to the west.

Can't believe it might snow in places.

Haven't mowed the lawn in 10 days or so.  Might just bail it up at this point.  ;)

Yeah about the same here, Over 1.00" looking in the gauge this am from last night and well over 3.00" for the month, The yard is a swamp right now

Yeah about the same here, Over 1.00" looking in the gauge this am from last night and well over 3.00" for the month, The yard is a swamp right now

Missed the heaviest stuff overnight, but was pretty much in the bullseye the day/night before.  The 0.39" reported to cocorahs today brings May up to 4.65", with probably a tenth or two since then.  That exceeds my May avg of 4.16" but we're still about 4" subnormal for the year.  Might cut that in half over the weekend.

Nice to see that we may salvage Monday.  If we were to have clear nights early next week, my frosts-in-May count will probably increase.

Well, yesterday's high was first thing in the morning.  Temps dropped throughout the day, eventually getting down into the low 40s where we currently stand.

0.52" in the bucket.

Light rain at 41F atm and the woodstove running, lol.

Yeah...I have the heat on too. I can't believe I'm running it during the day in late May. I just put the feeders out and it feels like a November nor'easter out there.

Yeah...I have the heat on too. I can't believe I'm running it during the day in late May. I just put the feeders out and it feels like a November nor'easter out there.

LOL--yeah, just a small fire to keep the chill at bay.  Our hummingbirds don't look very happy out there.  ;)

Cool bear shot, by the way.  I haven't filled up our feeder in several weeks....

LOL--yeah, just a small fire to keep the chill at bay.  Our hummingbirds don't look very happy out there.  ;)

Cool bear shot, by the way.  I haven't filled up our feeder in several weeks....

I take them down in the evening and put them back up in the morning now...I don't need to attract them and the feeder repairs became tiresome. I guess there was enough seed spillage on the ground though to attract it for a little meal. I'll have to look back at the pics from last week, but this one looks bigger than the previous at first glance, but it's still early and my eyes are probably playing tricks on me.

2.60" of rain since Tuesday. Drought fail here. Temp is up to 44.8 after dipping to 44.3. I'm hoping the midnight temp of 45.7 holds for the max today. If it's going to be miserable it may as well be epically bad.

Dendrite... You've posted more wildlife shots in your backyard than I see in the mountains over here. You are just missing a coyote or moose sighting. I've seen more wild dogs and moose than bear over here, so I'm jealous of all the bear sightings.

We are at like 4.5-5" in Stowe Village for rain this week...but BTV is now at like 7" or maybe more.

Definitely drought fail.

Had 46 at last evening's obs time, 42 for the low, now about 45 with -RA and gusts into the 20s.  Week's total 3.7", and 5.5" for the month.  May avg temp here was +1.1 thru yesterday.  Today thru Monday should tip it to a tiny bit below avg, but Wed-Fri will overcome that.

Dendrite... You've posted more wildlife shots in your backyard than I see in the mountains over here. You are just missing a coyote or moose sighting. I've seen more wild dogs and moose than bear over here, so I'm jealous of all the bear sightings.

We are at like 4.5-5" in Stowe Village for rain this week...but BTV is now at like 7" or maybe more.

Definitely drought fail.

heh...I'm < 10mins from downtown Tilton too and rt3 is about 2mins down the hill. I have 45 acres of untouched forest behind me though and the multiple fruit trees in the yard are appealing to them.

We had a coyote a few times last year, but not yet on cam. We had multiple grey foxes the past couple of years too, but I haven't seen one yet this Spring. I think I had a red fox on cam one night, but it's hard to tell with the IR at a distance. What I really want to see now is a bobcat. A moose would be cool, but I don't think the terrain around here is appealing to them. I saw one about 5mi north of here in Sanbornton though.

You still driving back up north today?

Had 46 at last evening's obs time, 42 for the low, now about 45 with -RA and gusts into the 20s.  Week's total 3.7", and 5.5" for the month.  May avg temp here was +1.1 thru yesterday.  Today thru Monday should tip it to a tiny bit below avg, but Wed-Fri will overcome that.

We look to heat things up after mid week

Archived