Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it would spell elevation snows, In the greens, berks and dacks

Maybe the upper reaches of Sugarloaf?  Their slopes were still about 2/3 white last Thursday - snowmaking coverage areas only, of course.  Zero C isotherm right over MBY in heavy rain - blecch!

Welcome to Vermont!

LOL thank you. I will actually be in NYC this weekend. I didn't think I would have to worry about missing some memorial day weekend flakes on the Bolton Mountain Access Rd. but that may be the case ;).

Maybe the upper reaches of Sugarloaf?  Their slopes were still about 2/3 white last Thursday - snowmaking coverage areas only, of course.  Zero C isotherm right over MBY in heavy rain - blecch!

Yeah, High elevated whites could be in, Coldest of the temps look to stay just a tad west of them though

BTV discussion:

TEMPERATURES WILL BE WELL
BELOW NORMAL, 50S IN THE VALLEYS AND 40S IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN.
GONNA BE A DAMP/DREARY DAY. ADDING TO THE MISERY WILL BE SOME
BREEZY CONDITIONS. NORTH/NORTHWEST WINDS SHOULD GUST UPWARDS OF 25
MPH. COME SATURDAY NIGHT, COLDER AIR ALOFT COULD RESULT IN A
LITTLE BIT OF SNOW AT ELEVATIONS PRIMARILY ABOVE 2500FT.

SUNDAY: WILL BE A TRANSITION DAY. LOW PRESSURE WILL BE MOVING
TOWARD THE CANADIAN MARITIMES, BUT ENOUGH MOISTURE ROTATING BACK
SO THAT I EXPECT CLOUDS AND LIGHT PRECIPITATION TO CONTINUE,
ESPECIALLY ACROSS EASTERN SECTIONS. HAVE PLACED LOW CHANCE POPS
BACK TO THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY WITH HIGHER IN EASTERN VERMONT. NEW
YORK SHOULD REMAIN DRY. BY LATE IN THE DAY, CLOUDS SHOULD BE
BREAKING UP FROM WEST TO EAST. WILL BE CHILLY AND CONTINUED
BREEZY. 850MB TEMPERATURES ALOFT WILL BE ON EITHER SIDE OF 0C.
EVEN IN PERFECTLY SUNNY/DRY CONDITIONS, THIS WOULD ONLY SUPPORT
VALLEY HIGHS ABOUT 60F. WITH CLOUDS AND CONTINUED NORTHERLY FLOW,
I SUSPECT LOW 50S WILL BE IT FOR LOWER ELEVATIONS AND 40S IN THE
HIGHER TERRAIN. AGAIN SUNDAY MORNING AT THE HIGHEST SUMMITS, I`M
EXPECTING A LITTLE BIT OF SNOW. MAYBE ACCUMULATING TO 1" OR SO ON
MANSFIELD BY MID-DAY.

Yeah, High elevated whites could be in, Coldest of the temps look to stay just a tad west of them though

12z gfs has Clayton Lake with mid-30s RA Sun night, and H8s 0 to -2.  If that verifies, a little white on hilltops above 1,500' might cause some discussion in the Allagash country.

That when i plan on planting here, Although potatoes are already underway

Maybe carrots, arugula, beets.  No point in putting anything else in the ground in 40s RA, and if enough comes down between now and then, nothing gets planted in mud.

Ginxy's map shows some accum all the way to MBY, though my sub-400' elev would likely reduce that to catspaws at best.  Maybe in Kennebec Highlands or the hills north of Clear Lake in Industry.  Latest I've ever seen semi-accum snow is June 9, 1980 in Ft. Kent, when a burst of snow was sufficient to lighten the green of the lawn but not enough to measure.  Some co-workers in the woods west of Allagash, at elev 1,000' or more, reported about an inch.  My 1st supervisor when I worked there said that he woke up on June 17, 1964 to see 3" snow, at the camp just across the border from St.-Pamphile, PQ.  Clayton Lake, same 1,000' elev and 30 miles SSE, reported no snow but had temps 53/33 with 0.32" precip.

Maybe carrots, arugula, beets.  No point in putting anything else in the ground in 40s RA, and if enough comes down between now and then, nothing gets planted in mud.

Ginxy's map shows some accum all the way to MBY, though my sub-400' elev would likely reduce that to catspaws at best.  Maybe in Kennebec Highlands or the hills north of Clear Lake in Industry.  Latest I've ever seen semi-accum snow is June 9, 1980 in Ft. Kent, when a burst of snow was sufficient to lighten the green of the lawn but not enough to measure.  Some co-workers in the woods west of Allagash, at elev 1,000' or more, reported about an inch.  My 1st supervisor when I worked there said that he woke up on June 17, 1964 to see 3" snow, at the camp just across the border from St.-Pamphile, PQ.  Clayton Lake, same 1,000' elev and 30 miles SSE, reported no snow but had temps 53/33 with 0.32" precip.

Nothing goes in the ground, They are all in containers, Never have to worry about mud........... ;)

Memorial Weekend weather thread ;)

I'm so pissed I'll be out of town if this works out.

12z GFS says heavy upper elevation pow sat night-sunday am. 

I'll take it. Gonna go wax me skis now.

Wow, the discussion certainly has become more interesting in that Memorial Day Weekend WX Thread; it should be fun to watch how that plays out this weekend.  It’s not too often that the skiing for Memorial Day weekend has such fresh snow possibilities.

On that note, this past weekend’s turns were on Mt. Washington, so I’ll pass along a snow update and a few images.  Along the Mt. Washington Auto Road, the first signs of snow are at around the 3,500’ mark, and up in the East Snowfields there’s far more coverage and options then we’ve had during our previous couple of visits in 2011 and 2012.  Part of that is due to the fact that the road was able to open on the early side this year because of that extended period of warmth and dry weather we had at the end of April into the beginning of May.  The snow is plentiful enough that there are even visible west side options for turns and snowfields hanging on above the Great Gulf, so you know that the east side is going to have a lot to offer.  We camped right on the Saco Saturday night in the Glen, NH area, and that’s quite a beautiful stretch of river.  It was time for the lawn’s first mowing of the season when we got home, but it’s funny to think that in just a few short months we’ll be talking about the last mowing of the season.  It was certainly a classic NNE weekend; I’ve added a couple of shots below, and the rest are in the full report on our website.

18MAY13E.jpg

18MAY13G.jpg

18MAY13D.jpg

Nice eyewall... that last pic is pretty sweet.

You've captured some great thunderstorm pics so far.

I will say the Champlain Valley is a secret "weenie" thunderstorm zone, usually with big, wide open vantage points and usually enhanced storms by the warmer/humid conditions in the valley along with low level wind funneling ahead of any front.  There's usually some good low level shear with winds funneling more southerly up the valley ahead of a front, instead of SW like other areas.

Archived