• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range thread

HM

Generally, but its also harder to get larger departures over longer periods given natural fluctuations.

I think the "normal" PHL summer average temperature is about 76.  Here are all the summers which averaged 77 or more:

1    79.6    2010  2    78.6    1995  3    78.3    1994  4    78.2    1993  5    78.0    2012,  2011  7    77.9    1991  8    77.8    2005  9    77.7    2002 10    77.2    1999,  1900 12    77.1    1988,  1973

It looks like 12 of the last 25 summers have been quite warm, so saying 1-3 above average seems normal.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that none of the composites show warmth east of the Appalachians. I wonder if something else (ENSO? MJO? SSTAs?) modulates Mid-Atlantic weather in during this period.

Looks like we might be dealing w/ a persistent Newfoundland sfc high in the medium range as we enter May. While H5 anomalies look warm on the proggs for the Northeast, a sfc high in SE Canada is backdoor city for PHL northeastward. Probably going to have many more dreary days in early May.

Interested to see if temps overperform the next several days. Generally looks near avg w/ mid/upper 60s through 4/30.

Looks like we might be dealing w/ a persistent Newfoundland sfc high in the medium range as we enter May. While H5 anomalies look warm on the proggs for the Northeast, a sfc high in SE Canada is backdoor city for PHL northeastward. Probably going to have many more dreary days in early May.

Interested to see if temps overperform the next several days. Generally looks near avg w/ mid/upper 60s through 4/30.

Yup. My thoughts exactly.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

As long as we steer away from that May (late 90s?) where it rained the first 12 consecutive days of the month.

All I know is March sucked, April had some good moments, but is/was too cool for me. Now we have crap to look forward to for May??? Why is this spring sucking so bad???

We haven't been that far off normal, tbh. As to why it's sucked so bad, QBO/solar seems to be the culprit (look around for some of Sam's, Mike V's, and HM's posts about it), but I don't fully understand the dynamics of it.

All I know is March sucked, April had some good moments, but is/was too cool for me. Now we have crap to look forward to for May??? Why is this spring sucking so bad???

Your expectations for April have been too warm.  Unless you think most April's suck.  Because IPT, AVP, MDT, RDG are all 1-2 above normal for the month.

What's the breakdown of maxs vs. mins? My hypothesis is that mins likely have warmer anomalies than maxs.

Its fairly close to the same, a slight nod towards the mins...

AVP +0.7 max, +0.8 min

MDT +1.5 max, +0.8 min

RDG +1.7 max, +2.3 min

AVP +0.9 max, +1.0 min

Thanks. Those really warm days mid-month did work

Sure did.  Here's another way to look at it...

Average monthly max vs. actual monthly max

IPT 83 vs. 82

MDT 84 vs. 85

RDG 86 vs. 88

AVP 81 vs. 77

Average number of days with highs of 70+ versus actual (Voyager will like this one a little better since they agree with his way of thinking, though note the "average" is for the entire month while the actual is obviously month-to-date):

IPT 7 vs. 5

MDT 9 vs. 7

RDG 9 vs. 7

AVP 6 vs. 5

First 10 days of May looking more miserable by the minute. ULL over the Lakes could yield a major reversal in pcpn departures over the coming weeks. Hvy rain threat next week w/ sub tropical feed connection along the east coast. Prior to that, most of next week looks cool, damp, and nasty for early May standards.

We'll almost make it out of April with nice weather, but we go downhill rapidly by the 30th.

Signs of potentially the first 90F readings arriving in the May 12th-15th period, but that's a long ways off.

First 10 days of May looking more miserable by the minute. ULL over the Lakes could yield a major reversal in pcpn departures over the coming weeks. Hvy rain threat next week w/ sub tropical feed connection along the east coast. Prior to that, most of next week looks cool, damp, and nasty for early May standards.

We'll almost make it out of April with nice weather, but we go downhill rapidly by the 30th.

Signs of potentially the first 90F readings arriving in the May 12th-15th period, but that's a long ways off.

LOL. See my avatar change :)

May 12-15 is a little earlier than I was timing it, but I was thinking around the 20th seems like a reasonable shot

Last night's ECMWF has the final warming finally at 1 hpa towards 4/25 (early averaged wind at 60N). It is predicted to lead 10 hpa, which has implications on how this may manifest (there are some FW that start at 10 hpa or have no clear pattern). How the stratospheric "tornado" breaks down can help us predict the AO/NAO to some extent. There have been correlations shown for 10 hpa zonal wind and the AO/NAO relationship.

Based on what's going on with the AO/NAO now and the ECMWF stratospheric forecasts, my guess is 10hpa zonal winds go negative around 5/5-10. This means the potential for a -AO/NAO regime developing then and peaking mid-May. Depending on how that manifests, which has a lot to do with intraseasonal oscillations (current projections would lack robust Indonesian/W. PAc forcing during first half of May, possibly supporting a colder picture for us), will determine if we can put a lid on the S-C US anticyclone from hell.

The implications of this would be a "lid" on the climo "peak" of severe weather early May over the S-C Plains but possibly rapidly picking up post-peak (mid-late May). After the -AO wave peaks and relaxes/develops stronger swings and possibly an organized MJO wave through the IO-Indonesian Sector, things could peak a little later than normal (second half of May-early June).

Perhaps as we get a little closer, I'll start throwing out dates, for fun, for potential significant severe weather outbreaks. A post -AO peak in a warmer time of year and tropical forcing shifting from Atlantic to IO-Indo on the cusp of a burgeoning S-C Plains summertime anticyclone suggests this round could be a lot worse than the current period. But it is too early to say.

All of this still holds. Expecting -u winds to fully take over at 10 hpa around 5/5 or so. No crazy southern Plains anticyclone in sight and cold air dominates. Later than normal peak for "tornado season" still seems reasonable given all the players. Over in the Central Subforum, there is talk about maybe something around the 10th or so that comes ahead of something more favorable down the road. This has a lot to do with how the cutoff behaves, so low confidence.

Archived