Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 5

Harry

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st week of May...

Cue the calls and wishes for an extreme cool or hor Summer.

Reminds me of the 1st week of Nov.

Honestly can't we just have a run of the mill Summer this go around. For the last 4 years its either been insanely chilly or scortching hot. When will the normal season return?

oct/nov 2002 was actually below normal.   Probably the last time it was lol.  Probably one of the ****tiest dec/jan/feb's for snow to follow... about 15" total lol.

oops..   1992 analog, not 2002 :axe:

Yeah '92 Oct was my birth month. My parents tell me they remember driving me home from the hospital and seeing flakes flying. Had a few inches sometime that month too I think.

I guess that's where my icepussydom comes from lol..

oct/nov 2002 was actually below normal.   Probably the last time it was lol.  Probably one of the ****tiest dec/jan/feb's for snow to follow... about 15" total lol.

oops..  my graduation yr 1992 analog :oldman: , not 2002 :axe:

Oct and Nov were below normal in 2012.

Yeah '92 Oct was my birth month. My parents tell me they remember driving me back home from the hospital and seeing flakes flying. 

October 20th '92 there was accumulating snow between 12am and 4am.

lol you weren't even born before I graduated high school.   Us seniors all jumped in to our high school pond on the last AM of school and boy was it chock full of weeds near shore already and was real warm..  I remember going home right after and jumping in the shower and there was water bugs and such crawling on me.

Today's 6-10 and 8-14 day CPC historical analog forecasts have 1992, 2004, and 2009 analogs on the list. Liking where this has the possibility of going in coming months.

Yep, 2004 and 2009 were nice summers from what I can remember.  2004 was stormy and cool, and 2009 was obviously a nice cool summer as well, and it is not like there were no t'storms.  A warm summer doesn't automatically mean a stormy one, so if there were to be a lack of storms, might as well be cool at least.

Yep, 2004 and 2009 were nice summers from what I can remember.  2004 was stormy and cool, and 2009 was obviously a nice cool summer as well, and it is not like there were no t'storms.  A warm summer doesn't automatically mean a stormy one, so if there were to be a lack of storms, might as well be cool at least.

T-Storms came up in short supply around these parts in 2009. It was a consistent 75-81 with mostly sunny skies for almost 2 months. Problem was the continued cut-offs that ruined what seemed like every weekend. Rainy with cool temps in the 60s made it a miserable summer for boaters, golfers and other summer weekend rec activities. The temps were not the issue for most people, it was the lack of good weather weekends. 

A couple runs in a row now the Euro is showing a big blast of cold air coming down mid-month.  The latest run has another widespread freeze across the upper midwest.  I'm planting all my stuff this week so there had better not be a very late freeze.  There just seems to be an endless supply of cold air up north this year.

T-Storms came up in short supply around these parts in 2009. It was a consistent 75-81 with mostly sunny skies for almost 2 months. Problem was the continued cut-offs that ruined what seemed like every weekend. Rainy with cool temps in the 60s made it a miserable summer for boaters, golfers and other summer weekend rec activities. The temps were not the issue for most people, it was the lack of good weather weekends. 

Slow moving cutoffs are normally pretty obnoxious.  I like a progressive pattern with a mix of warm/humid and cool/dry.

A couple runs in a row now the Euro is showing a big blast of cold air coming down mid-month.  The latest run has another widespread freeze across the upper midwest.  I'm planting all my stuff this week so there had better not be a very late freeze.  There just seems to be an endless supply of cold air up north this year.

:yikes:

I just planted some things as well. At least it's in the medium range, lot of time for it to change.

This would probably be historic. But it's very far out.

12zeurohourly850mbTempAnomalyNA240.gif

Luckily that's 10 days out. It would be a pretty devastating freeze for ag interests.

Yeah, this is what we do not need right now, especially after last year, back to back crippling freezes would kill some of the ag interests especially fruit bearing orchards in the Northern lakes. I hope that the Euro is just on crack or something.

MOST BORING pattern you can get in May. No upstream blocking keeping confluence well north and a PNA ridge to keep the hard summer stuff down south. If it stays this way all summer, it won't be a overly hot summer.

If the -NAO/AO/-PNA come back, that may not be a good sign.

FYP

If this pattern stayed all summer Michigan would be in another drought.  No thanks.

That map looks like a pole shift has happened!

What would that be... highs in the 30s lows in lower 20s?

Probably not that bad, but it would certainly be near to below freezing at night for a large portion of the region, thankfully the Euro is on an island with this idea.

Best pattern you can get in May. No upstream blocking keeping confluence well north and a PNA ridge to keep the hard summer stuff down south. If it stays this way all summer, it won't be a overly hot summer.

If the -NAO/AO/-PNA come back, that may not be a good sign.

Yeah I am going to pass on a drought.

Probably not that bad, but it would certainly be near to below freezing at night for a large portion of the region, thankfully the Euro is on an island with this idea.

That would be a death nail for the cherries and apples. Awful if that verifies. Back to back fruit destruction.

That would be a death nail for the cherries and apples. Awful if that verifies. Back to back fruit destruction.

Yeah pretty much all fruit bearing trees would have issues. I don't think anyone could be excited at these potential prospects, historical value or not.

GFS totally different. Ridge in the Plains and over the sub forum.

gfs_namer_240_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

And along comes the 00z GFS.

gfs_namer_183_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

MJO has recently made a appearance out of the circle of death ( looks to really crank as well )  and thus why i suspect the models are going into full flip flop mode.

What i am saying is not to take anything beyond day 5 too serious.

And along comes the 00z GFS.

MJO has recently made a appearance out of the circle of death ( looks to really crank as well )  and thus why i suspect the models are going into full flip flop mode.

What i am saying is not to take anything beyond day 5 too serious.

Not as extreme as the EURO is! Probably lead to highs in the low 50s or somewhere close.

GFS totally different. Ridge in the Plains and over the sub forum.

gfs_namer_240_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

I know many of us are waiting for the US modelsto drop the hammer and side with the euro. Hopefuly this wont happen and we see the euro place the axis of that trough further north and east of the sub forum. I have not looked at the GFS ENS to see if a few screwball apple destroyers are lurking.

• 2 weeks later...

Long range 00z GFS looks hot as we transition from May into June. But it's beyond the useful range so we'll see if it holds up.

It looks very active too, a lot of shortwaves riding over the top of the ridge into the region, dare I say the ring of fire could come early this year?

Archived