• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
When will the Twin Lakes Snow Cam melt?

Jonger

When will it melt? ( Twin Lakes Webcam )  

44 members have voted

1. 1. When will the last trace of Snow melt?

• Between April 10th and 20th
    • Between April 21st and 30th
    • Between May 1st and 10th
    • Between May 11th and May 20th
    • After May 21st

Its just another thread that by page 2 has NOTHING to do with the original topic.

Its actually funny to watch so many contradict themselves though. Now, for you or me, the northern climate would be a dream. But for most here, its a nightmare. I mean, all I have heard since the end of Feb is "Im ready for spring..." and now we have envy of a place whos snow won't melt til at least mid-May :unsure: . Then we have the usual ragging on Chicago/Detroit weather when once again...for someone who wants a taste of everything WEATHER-wise (imagine that on a weather board) and the 4 seasons, that is the place to be....not the great white North. We dont get the biggest snowstorms or the most severe weather, but this is one of the most active places in the country in terms of frequency of WEATHER disturbances.

People in general are never satisfied.... it's human nature.

As far as rooting for snow and cold goes, there is an expiration date.  Even in N Mich it's ok to complain about the snow and cold in mid-April.  It's time for Spring.....  If you complain about snow here in Jan or Feb, you will get shot.  You have no business living here if you dislike snow that much.  I will enjoy a good snow anytime of the year but constant cold and grey isn't fun at all... especially in the middle of Spring.

At some point, it isn't interesting anymore.  I'm an Ice Pu$$ie through and through tho.  I even root for cool Summers and frequent rains, but craving some Spring and Summer weather  after a snowy and cold season isn't a crime.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you have lived in the UP for an extended period of time, you don't know what it's like to have to deal with snow and cold into April/May. I love snow as much as the next person on this board but having lived in the UP for 6+ years, it starts to get old after a few years of it. It's easy to say how awesome it would be in a northern climate like the UP until you've had to experience it. Trust me, you would be hard pressed to find someone up there who is loving the fact that they are getting 8-12, on top of what they already have on the ground, in the middle of April.

It's all relative....

If John Dee is not sick of it after moving UP there after all these years than I would never get sick of it.  200" of the snow is just Fluff anyways.. a few farts after a 12 pack could clear away 8" in the AM.   Just as cold if not colder in most of WI than the UP in winter so might as well be where it snows and sticks around all winter.

So, maybe a slight exaggeration on finding SOMEONE that enjoys it.

I was just as much of a snow weenie as the rest of us before I went up there for 6+ years. Trust me when I say, I got sick of it after awhile. When you don't get to experience that kind of snowfall year in and year out, it's easier to say that you wouldn't mind it. But, trust me, if you were sitting up there right now, you'd be wishing for some warmer temps and for the snow to go away. You can only ice fish for so long before you wish you could actually be out on the water in a boat. :)

It's not like you can do any outdoor activities in our current weather pattern anyway, so I think I would enjoy living in Marquette over here. Its not like it's much colder there as bowmen has said.

This is not the Norm even for the UP..  Lots of yrs by this time even the UP is starting spring mode.  We were due for a cold March and it just so  happens to be holding on in to April.  Fun of weather.

That screen shot could pass for a mid-January snowstorm! Looks like the path in front of the snowman drifted over. Twin Lakes reporting 3" at 8am. The heavier snow was towards Escanaba. 

Just like anywhere else, the snow up there gets dirty as its melting...and deep snow looks just as dirty as not-deep snow when its on the way out. I was in the U.P. one year when this was happening. But this deep old snow makes a base, all you need is a few inches of fresh snow and WHAM instant DEEP mid-winter look!

It was never this deep last year... At any point. Hoist Basin hit 52 inches last winter, but Toivola never went past 3 feet.. I think.

Take it a step further and look at 2010-11. A terrible year for much of the UP, ESPECIALLY the eastern UP. Detroit had deeper snow depth in early Feb than Sault Ste marie had at any point that winter. They are seeing deeper snow in MID-APRIL than they had seen in either of the previous 2 winters, if not longer.

lots of drifting off the office roof this last month to inflate also..that normally doesn't happen in winter..  That area gets pounded with sun so it could use a little inflation help.. snow is probably tater tots deep in the woods yet.

I put a snowman snowstick in my yard (only goes to 15") and believe me as a weather observer, its for decoration and nothing more. You can RARELY use that to gauge the actual depth, so i cant imagine how difficult it is up there. But yeah blowing snow is clear inflation. John dees snow stick would appear to be about 22-23" but he lists depth at 35".

When I was in Paradise last month, what surprised me is some snow deep in the woods was actually a little less deep. Everywhere I measured at the Tahquamenon Falls statepark (yes I had my snowstick lol) I came up with like 24-30" but outside the woods I came up with a more consistent 30-33",

I put a snowman snowstick in my yard (only goes to 15") and believe me as a weather observer, its for decoration and nothing more. You can RARELY use that to gauge the actual depth, so i cant imagine how difficult it is up there. But yeah blowing snow is clear inflation. John dees snow stick would appear to be about 22-23" but he lists depth at 35".

When I was in Paradise last month, what surprised me is some snow deep in the woods was actually a little less deep. Everywhere I measured at the Tahquamenon Falls statepark (yes I had my snowstick lol) I came up with like 24-30" but outside the woods I came up with a more consistent 30-33",

Maybe the trees absorbs more warmth, thus the snow is more compact - slightly lower ratio. I would definitely think that would the case in a conifer forest.

get some sun and 50's and 60's with above freezing nights and that snow will go fast. May 9th seems like a good date.. probably be mostly melted earlier but its highly tainted by at least a couple feet now so who knows.

There's probably 40 inches of true depth there right now. There might be 5+ inches of liquid in that 40 inches though. Maybe more.

Heavy LES coming on Friday... Big setback for the melt incoming.

Thursday Night
Breezy...snow. Patchy blowing snow. Moderate snow accumulation. Lows around 29. Northeast winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Friday
Windy. Bitterly cold. Snow. Areas of blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Highs around 30. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Lake Superior with 850mb temperatures falling to -10c on Friday should See
Lake enhancement really increase amounts over Gogebic/Ontonagon
counties through the day on Friday. With that area seeing both the
deformation precipitation and the lake enhancement...current
expectation would be warning snowfall amounts and some locations
could see some significant snowfall amounts for middle-late April. In
addition to the snow...strong northerly winds from the Keweenaw
through Gogebic County will lead to near blizzard conditions even
though the snow will likely be on the wetter side initially.

Archived