• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
When will the Twin Lakes Snow Cam melt?

Jonger

When will it melt? ( Twin Lakes Webcam )  

44 members have voted

1. 1. When will the last trace of Snow melt?

• Between April 10th and 20th
    • Between April 21st and 30th
    • Between May 1st and 10th
    • Between May 11th and May 20th
    • After May 21st

Pretty shot. So pristine.. Next week this time naso much pretty & pristine and we'll be at the end of April..  First 9 days of May in goofy GFS land look to avg around normal to above.  Still thinking around may 9th any snow left will be patches laying on its death bed..  wouldn't be shocked if its all gone either.

wtimxj.jpg

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 hrs of sun with temps in the 30's already making a small dent... wait until the meat and taters this weekend in to next week.

EXACTLY HOW WARM IT GETS WILL DEPEND ON CLOUD COVER AND   COVERAGE/PERSISTENCE OF ANY SHRA THAT OCCUR. IF THERE IS ENOUGH   SUN...TEMPS COULD REACH OR EXCEED 70F OVER THE W HALF AWAY FROM ANY   LAKE COOLING THAT OCCURS.

1zp3xn8.jpg

5 hrs of sun with temps in the 30's already making a small dent... wait until the meat and taters this weekend in to next week.

EXACTLY HOW WARM IT GETS WILL DEPEND ON CLOUD COVER AND  

COVERAGE/PERSISTENCE OF ANY SHRA THAT OCCUR. IF THERE IS ENOUGH  

SUN...TEMPS COULD REACH OR EXCEED 70F OVER THE W HALF AWAY FROM ANY  

LAKE COOLING THAT OCCURS.

That 40 inches of snow, probably has 10 inches of water content.

Laurium Glacier is the real deal this yr..wow.   John Dee runs a contest every for when it will melt..  This baby (snow drift) is pushing 20 feet still this yr he said.  Can it make it until June?  I wouldn't even know what to guess.

John Dee has a listing for the Laurium Glacier on his "First" and "Last" Events of the Season webpage - http://www.johndee.com/firsts&lasts.htm

Dry cold air saved us from frosty exposing us his tater tots.

wow - will the snow even last until , May?

TUESDAY LOOKS MAINLY DRY AND POTENTIALLY QUITE WARM AS 5H RIDGE HGTS   AMPLIFY ACROSS THE UPPER GREAT LAKES. STRONG SRLY FLOW SETS UP OVER   THE AREA AHEAD OF NEXT APPROACHING SHORTWAVE AND ASSOC FRONTAL   SYSTEM OVER THE NRN PLAINS. ECMWF AND GFS SHOWS 8H THERMAL RIDGE   WITH 12C TEMPS OR WARMER MOVING ACROSS THE AREA. DEPENDING ON THE   DEGREE OF CLOUD COVER/SUNSHINE...MAX TEMPS INTO THE 70S ARE   DEFINITELY POSSIBLE OVER THE WRN HALF OF THE CWA. AS THE NEXT   FRONTAL SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH TUE NIGHT INTO WED...PER   GFS/ECMWF...CHC POPS HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED. COULD SEE THE POTENTIAL   FOR HEAVIER RAINFALL WITH THIS SYSTEM AS MODELS HINT THAT THE FRONT   COULD STALL OUT JUST SOUTH AND EAST OF OUR FCST AREA LATE WED INTO   WED NIGHT. SHORTWAVES RIDING ALONG THE FRONT COULD BRING THE   POTENTIAL FOR MORE SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL LATE NEXT WEEK AS DEEPER   GULF MOISTURE COULD WORK ITS WAY INTO THE GREAT LAKES REGION. THIS   RAINFALL POTENTIAL WILL NEED TO BE CLOSELY MONITORED ON FUTURE MODEL   RUNS ESPECIALLY GIVEN INCREASING FLOOD POTENTIAL DUE TO SNOWMELT   RUNOFF.  

3128oyq.jpg

Yeah, the snow could melt rapidly...I guess it had to happen sometime.  

Even with a high water content, it's hard to fight temps in the 60s for several days 

Marquette still has 30" of snow on the ground...the old record for the date was 9".

Hoist Basin has 42".

:Ontonagon County
ONOM4 : Ontonagon 1S : DH0800/ M/ M/ 0.03/ 0.0/ 0.6/ 5
:Keweenaw County
MHKM4 : Mohawk : DH0800/ 38/ 16/ 0.13/ 0.0/ 1.3/ 19
:Houghton County
JCBM4 : Jacobsville : DH0700/ 37/ 17/ 0.06/ M/ 1.0/ 17
TLKM4 : Twin Lakes : DH0800/ 36/ 7/ 0.12/ M/ 1.2/ 34
:Baraga County
WTNM4 : Watton : DH0700/ 33/ 15/ 0.08/ 0.0/ 0.8/ 23
:Marquette County
CLKM4 : Champion 6E : DH0700/ 36/ 18/ 0.19/ M/ 0.2/ 24
IHBM4 : Hoist Basin : DH0800/ 34/ 13/ 0.05/ 0.0/ 0.2/ 42
MQT : NWS Marquette : DH0700/ M/ M/ 0.04/ M/ T/ 30
MRQM4 : Marquette : DH0800/ 38/ 29/ T/ M/ 0.0/ 0
GGRM4 : Green Garden : DH0654/ M/ M/ 0.07/ M/ T/ 1
HRVM4 : Harvey : DH0800/ M/ M/ 0.03/ M/ 0.0/ 7
AROM4 : Arnold 2N : DH0700/ M/ M/ 0.05/ M/ 0.0/ 6
MIEM4 : Michigamme 3WNW : DH0800/ M/ M/ 0.01/ M/ T/ 19
:Alger County
MNSM4 : Munising : DH0630/ 35/ 31/ 0.21/ M/ T/ 20
:Delta County
GLDM4 : Gladstone : DH0700/ M/ M/ 0.13/ M/ 0.0/ 0
HRKM4 : Gladstone 4NW : DH0700/ M/ M/ 0.12/ M/ 0.0/ 6
GDCM4 : Garden Corners : DH0800/ 39/ 28/ 0.20/ M/ 0.0/ 0
BKRM4 : Bark River 11SSE: DH0854/ M/ M/ 0.01/ M/ 0.0/ 1
RRVM4 : Stonington : DH0800/ M/ M/ 0.05/ M/ T/ 0
RPDM4 : Rapid River 4SSE: DH0900/ 41/ 27/ 0.05/ M/ M/ M
:Schoolcraft County
CKSM4 : Cooks : DH0800/ M/ M/ 0.15/ M/ T/ 1
MTQM4 : Manistique WWTP : DH0720/ 40/ 29/ 0.15/ M/ 0.0/ 0
PARM4 : Parent Bay : DH0900/ 41/ 30/ 0.00/ M/ 0.0/ 0
:Luce County
NWCM4 : Newberry City : DH0700/ 44/ 27/ 0.18/ T/ T/ 11
NCFM4 : Newberry Cor Fac: DH0800/ 44/ 30/ 0.13/ M/ 0.0/ 5
.END

Has real snow cover made it to June in the Lakes?

Like flat land or even woods but not from drifting. like normal snow cover?

This region should see major melting with such a deep SW flow.

There probably has been snowstorms in May that have had snow carry over into June, but winter snow pack probably melts out before June. It would be remnants from a mid to late May storm. 

Typically the winter snow pack is gone before May, I would assume.

There probably has been snowstorms in May that have had snow carry over into June, but winter snow pack probably melts out before June. It would be remnants from a mid to late May storm. 

Typically the winter snow pack is gone before May, I would assume.

I recommend these books. http://www.upweatherhistory.com/ Karl Bohnak spells it all out. Awesome stuff.

Putting up a decent fight but, still has about 4 more rounds of taking a pounding before much cooler air later next week halts the meltdown.

I've been collecting the hourly images for the past two days and plan to do so until the snow is gone. After the warm up leaves I'll post the time lapse here. Fun stuff. I am glad I found this forum.

I've been collecting the hourly images for the past two days and plan to do so until the snow is gone. After the warm up leaves I'll post the time lapse here. Fun stuff. I am glad I found this forum.

I started a daily time lapse back in late March.  It's okay but the repositioning of the camera screws it up a little.

Archived