• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
When will the Twin Lakes Snow Cam melt?

Jonger

When will it melt? ( Twin Lakes Webcam )  

44 members have voted

1. 1. When will the last trace of Snow melt?

• Between April 10th and 20th
    • Between April 21st and 30th
    • Between May 1st and 10th
    • Between May 11th and May 20th
    • After May 21st

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it too. Since the time frame was so short, I figured I'd grab the hourly image and loop that. But, for a seasonal lapse, I use a noon shot, one image a day. At least it is what I do for my webcam, like this -->

Great video. I especially love the part when your neighbor's cucumber vine (or whatever) invades and makes a beeline for the drainspout.

It will vanish before midnight I'm sure.... Time of death might be wrong, but date is pretty solid.

Yeah. It probably did melt between 4 and 5 yesterday. I just realized that the image has been frozen since the 3pm shot yesterday, but the time stamp on the bottom keeps updating which makes it deceiving.

Maybe a joke by the resort ... Keeping that last frame with snow up?

I love the time lapse.... Its amazing how much of a change the sun angle is from day to day, its like 1 inch of extra distance for a 20 foot poll.

Me too! One of the best pieces of the annual time lapse are the shadow placements throughout year.

Looks like they took the measuring stick down for the season... And turned the camera back on. Grass looks like its greening up now. We all thought the lake would hold on the longest, but it appears the snow pile lasted a tad longer than the lake.

• 4 weeks later...

It's always cool to see the gradients with lake effect snow. Really reiterates how the NWS "Marquette" does not represent the snowfall that actually falls in Marquette. 89 inches in Marquette versus 215 inches at the NWS just 8 miles away and about 700' higher in elevation. Also judging by that map, it's the least snowy coastal area of Michigan's Superior coastline. 

It's always cool to see the gradients with lake effect snow. Really reiterates how the NWS "Marquette" does not represent the snowfall that actually falls in Marquette. 89 inches in Marquette versus 215 inches at the NWS just 8 miles away and about 700' higher in elevation. Also judging by that map, it's the least snowy coastal area of Michigan's Superior coastline. 

And the southeastern part of the U.P. always has low snowfall totals (out of the LES zone). In fact many times in recent years Detroit has outsnowed that area of the U.P. Sure they get more snowcover, but if Im going to live in the U.P. its going to be in the snowbelt!

That's one extreme gradient for Marquette County! Amazing how much the slightly warmer lake air mass takes away right along that stretch of coast.

I think orographic lift plays the bigger role in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the time lapse I started back in March.  Basically took one screen grab a day, so not as good as OSNW3's time lapse.  This would have been better if the dude wouldn't have moved his camera around a few times. 

Nice work! I took my down. I am glad you put yours on YT. Not sure how you are going about the screen grabs, but if you have a FTP software you can configure it to automagically do the grabbing for you on a timed interval. I would be willing to do the same thing next year at a station you all select.  WooWinter!

Archived