• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
When will the Twin Lakes Snow Cam melt?

Jonger

When will it melt? ( Twin Lakes Webcam )  

44 members have voted

1. 1. When will the last trace of Snow melt?

• Between April 10th and 20th
    • Between April 21st and 30th
    • Between May 1st and 10th
    • Between May 11th and May 20th
    • After May 21st

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by snow depth in Marquette, it could be a record-late melt for the Twin Lakes snow cam.  But I think May 10-15 is a reasonable guess at this point.  You have to imagine that temps in the 50s and/or a few days of full sun will occur by the end of April and early May, which will really accelerate the melting.

Marquette has set a snow depth record every day since April 4...and it should continue for the next 7 days at least.  For example, today's snow depth was 33", breaking the old record of 29".  And 6+" of snow is expected over the next few days.  

Judging by snow depth in Marquette, it could be a record-late melt for the Twin Lakes snow cam.

Marquette has set a snow depth record every day since April 4...and it should continue for the next 7 days at least.  For example, today's snow depth was 33", breaking the old record of 29".  And 6+" of snow is expected over the next few days.  

That snow up there must me incredibly dense, otherwise the sun would eating away at it faster (when it's out).

Lot of water locked up around Ishpeming.

Watch a continental snow cover animation map of North America during the winter. All winter the snow cover will drop south and contract north, in waves. In my opinion, if you live in a transitional zone of melt and refreeze... It's crap. I would rather get no snow or maintain it all winter. Such a headache from a recreational standpoint to endure all the inconsistency.

Why care about any weather if you don't play in it. Summer it goes double.

Chicago weather sucks from Oct 15th through April 1st. Too warm for most storms and to maintain snowpack.. Same applies to SE Michigan.

snowpack is worthless.  Give me a warning criteria storm and it can melt 24 hours later for all I care

That's great for a window watcher.

what an awful place to live 9 months of the year

So wrong! May thru Oct is great weather and Winter is on another level there.  This year is an anomaly obviously.

But if you prefer the stifling, smoggy heat of the city, I can understand your opinion.

Cornbelt humidity is awesome too.... enjoy

Cities are great for dinnertime and watching a sporting event.... Crap for raising kids and enjoying the earth as its supposed to be... Which is partly why we post on this site... So...

Cities are great for dinnertime and watching a sporting event.... Crap for raising kids and enjoying the earth as its supposed to be... Which is partly why we post on this site... So...

Why in the hell do you always get anti urban. That comment is so out to lunch and wrong. Tell that to the millions of families who raise good kids in high populated areas. Some would say the same about the wallmart culture in the ex-urbs where you live.

I wouldn't want snow cover as long as the lake snow belts in the U.P. has it for usually. If I lived I guess I'd be used to it and deal with it though. Snow cover from mid-December to about March 1st would be ideal. The thaws and refreezes are irritating during the middle of the winter. 

Lately the autumn weather has been nice later and later into October and into November. September's have been cool, but it feels good after a hot, humid August typically.

Why in the hell do you always get anti urban. That comment is so out to lunch and wrong. Tell that to the millions of families who raise good kids in high populated areas. Some would say the same about the wallmart culture in the ex-urbs where you live.

This isn't a Walmart culture out this way, its a bedroom community of metro Detroit and Ann arbor. I'm more or less referring to rude, cemented-over urban cores, not "burbs".

Rural and semi rural areas get knocked by too many on this forum... Look at this as a opposite standpoint to that running joke.

This isn't a Walmart culture out this way, its a bedroom community of metro Detroit and Ann arbor. I'm more or less referring to rude, cemented-over urban cores, not "burbs". Rural and semi rural areas get knocked by too many on this forum... Look at this as a opposite standpoint to that running joke.

you're not allowed  to rib back to the chosen ones or cranky warminista's

Well, that's an easy question.  It's because urban areas have pollution, traffic, buildings, pavement, etc...no greenery/nature/etc.  It's not difficult to see why people feel this way...especially on a weather forum where (at least you'd think) people care about nature, outdoors, scenery, and the environment.

I totally agree with Jonger on his comment about the transition zones of waxing & waning snowpack in the winter...spot on.  You can't count on any consistency for snowpack retention.

To each his own I guess...but if you do live in a deeply urban area (and I consider myself part of that bunch, even in the Chicago suburbs), I don't understand why anyone would enjoy the weather there from an overall standpoint.  For one, weather extremes tend to get moderated in large urban areas (i.e., no cold temps due to UHI, cooler temps during peak heating due to jet contrails/smog/etc.).  Enjoying weather usually correlates to enjoying extremes...which you don't have as much of in urban areas.  It's not just winter wx either; it's harder to enjoy a T-storm in the city, since you can't see the horizon as well compared to rural areas. 

I'm not criticizing people who live in the city...my comments have nothing to do with that.  Instead, I'm criticizing the weather in cities. :)

Anyway...it's crazy how the snow is hanging on in the UP.  It's not just that the snow is so dense...but they've had very few days in March/April with sunshine and/or temps above 40.  You keep thinking it has to turn at some point...but we keep getting futher into April, and it's just staying cold and unsettled up there.

Chicago weather sucks from Oct 15th through April 1st. Too warm for most storms and to maintain snowpack.. Same applies to SE Michigan.

Well the bolded is a lie, at least in winter. By FAR, a typical winter has more winter/snow storms than rain storms in Chicago and SE MI. In some colder winters you can easily go a month+ with zero liquid precip.

Talking about snowpack on this board is worthless...99% of the posters here CLAIM to care nothing for it whatsoever, much less 6 months worth of it.

wait until michigansnowfreak gets his turn with us.

Its just another thread that by page 2 has NOTHING to do with the original topic.

Its actually funny to watch so many contradict themselves though. Now, for you or me, the northern climate would be a dream. But for most here, its a nightmare. I mean, all I have heard since the end of Feb is "Im ready for spring..." and now we have envy of a place whos snow won't melt til at least mid-May :unsure: . Then we have the usual ragging on Chicago/Detroit weather when once again...for someone who wants a taste of everything WEATHER-wise (imagine that on a weather board) and the 4 seasons, that is the place to be....not the great white North. We dont get the biggest snowstorms or the most severe weather, but this is one of the most active places in the country in terms of frequency of WEATHER disturbances.

Archived