northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 24-25 Winter Storm Threat

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone just answer if Sullivan County in the western Catskills is in the game or in the periphery?

Going by NAM alone, Sullivan Cty is in the game. Whether or not you will be in the periphery or on the outer edge is still unknown because some of the models differ on this.

WX/PT

For those who cant see his site , his  red line which starts in S CT  includes LI  NYC , the lower hudson valley , all of NJ down thru Philly is the area where he thinks 5 to 10 is possible on top of the 4 plus  he has forecasted for our area are possible .

Its the most aggressive forecast  I  have seen , so I just wanted you guys to see it .

he posted the map on twitter @BigJoeBastardi

FROM JB ....Here are things to remember: Snow is likely to accumulate more on areas inclined north than south. Even though it is late in the year, this will be a very cold storm for many, so high ratio snow can occur. However, it is within the red line that the greatest problems could occur, because as the storm reaches the coast, rapid feedback intensification could lead to snow amounts 5-10 inches greater than what I have.  (  HE HAS US IN THE 4 PLUS )   This is still over 72 hours away in this area, and a turn more north in the storm track would lead to more in New England. As of this writing, the storm's greatest snows from the Midwest east look to be in the I-70 to I-80 area rather than working up toward I-90. This has the chance, relative to the season, to be one of the bigger storms so late in the year.

It has a lot of similarities to the April 6-7, 1982 storm, which broke late season records around NYC.

For those who cant see his site , his  red line which starts in S CT  includes LI  NYC , the lower hudson valley , all of NJ down thru Philly is the area where he thinks 5 to 10 is possible on top of the 4 plus  he has forecasted for our area are possible .

Its the most aggressive forecast  I  have seen , so I just wanted you guys to see it .

This belongs in the vendor blog

I think we're in a good place right now. I'm feeling like our chances for at least 3" are very high

Agreed if I lived north of a line from Monticello to Peekskill to Central CT to Boston Id very worried, but even there they have a decent chance. I think we are good for at least a moderate snow at this point.

The Euro ensembles are very much in line with the idea that this is goin to be a pretty good QPF event  . So even if one threw the NAM out  , this is goin to be a very good late March snowstorm .

This wil be focused right along I80 if anyone thought this was gona be a shunt , you`re gona be in for a rude awakening .

Those solutions are gone .

Watch the winds here , With minus 4 at 850 , the surface is going right to 32 with these rates . You are probably looking Blizzard conditons develop prob through CNJ with 40 mph winds closer to the coast .

There mayb a few places see  6 to 12 inches of  SNOW guys .

Too many taking this too lightly in CNJ . Think there mayb power outages in the hardest hit areas , a ft of wet concrete and winds dont mix well on power lines

This is not gona be 3 inches for some , this happened in 82 , you are probably looking at a similar event here .

I can't believe how wrapped up the 00z Euro ensembles were compared to even the 12z EUro ensembles from yesterday. That really adds a significant wrinkle to the forecast. Compared to the 00z OP Euro they are only a tick north and west but the precipitation shield is much more expansive with the significant precipitation owing to the CCB kissing the NJ Shoreline. 

Archived