EWR757
March Medium Range Discussion

nzucker

You can see the ggem total precip on meteocentre:

Total precip through hour 108:

PR_000-108_0000.gif

Total snow through hour 108:

SN_000-108_0000.gif

Wow, that's a low end warning event for some of the region, high end advisory for everyone else...(15 mm is .59 liquid or 6" snow)

Has the GGEM been better since it's "upgrade"? It was pretty bad before...

-skisheep

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's a low end warning event for some of the region, high end advisory for everyone else...(15 mm is .59 liquid or 6" snow)

Has the GGEM been better since it's "upgrade"? It was pretty bad before...

-skisheep

It's still running behind the Euro, GFS, and UKMET.

Mid to late March overrunning events are not going to get the job done in most situations, FWIW, especially when the surface is so borderline. Anyone remember the St. Patrick's Day Parade in the late 90's (?) seemed like it snowed light to mdt during the entire event and never accumulated at all, even in the burbs. So...in short, the GGEM would likely be a snow of beauty, and not of the accumulating nature.

The 12z GGEM brings the overrunning early Monday morning, with the 1032mb high still to the north. The GFS and ECMWF have the overrunning come in later in the day, with the high shifting. If the GGEM was correct, I think we could get thumping. The GFS and ECMWF solutions would most likely be just slop at best for the coast.

Euro ensembles have a front end thump for the area . It's similiar to the op.

temps are so borderline that whatever falls at night has a much better chance of being snow - any daytime solar influence lessens the chance of snow reaching the lower levels

Guest Patrick

hi Jon

i read your post with awe. ridiculous setup for late march.

you said two winters ago that you love to see the setup in order before the players are on the field because it makes the model solution believable. having said that, do you have enough faith in the gfs or ggem to keep the interest? even though the solutions make sense, its hard not to think we are being mindbended again.

The problem is this: a jan pattern in late march often does not yield the same weather outcome. You gotta show me a sub 985 mb low at the bm to get my attention...otherwise thermally....well.

ULL really hangs around so the storm will get suppressed this run. What a nice looking pattern though, it looks like mid winter

The problem is this: a jan pattern in late march often does not yield the same weather outcome. You gotta show me a sub 985 mb low at the bm to get my attention...otherwise thermally....well.

The air mass being forcast for that time period will not need a low that strong

Maybe for the city itself but us folks out west can cash in with a closer to the coast track.

Coastal areas can do just fine in the right setups, both very early and late in the season-April 7, 2003 wasn't that powerful a storm and it snowed over half a foot right down to the shore. The early November storm is another example and it certainly stuck inside the city. Snow even stuck here in the late Oct storm and Central Park had 4". Granted we need some more things to happen than you guys do, but it's not a huge additional leap to have snow everywhere.

Coastal areas can do just fine in the right setups, both very early and late in the season-April 7, 2003 wasn't that powerful a storm and it snowed over half a foot right down to the shore. The early November storm is another example and it certainly stuck inside the city. Snow even stuck here in the late Oct storm and Central Park had 4". Granted we need some more things to happen than you guys do, but it's not a huge additional leap to have snow everywhere.

The point of my post was that while I agree that a lot of things have to go right to go snow on the coast in mid-late March we have a bit more room to play with out in the Western burbs. This time of year we really need a nice, solid miller A with a good CCB cranking over the area. Miller A's have been a problem this year.

0z NAEFS

2aj5e28.png

Impressive for mid to late March

The problem is that the normal highs for this time of year are in the low to mid 50's. Slightly to moderatly below average temperatures won't be cold enough for snow. When all is said and done, I don't think anyone in this sub-forum has a right to complain about this winter. For the DC to Philly folks, well that's a different story.

Blocking update...

The AO has now begun to fall consistent with recent model forecasts.After peaking at -0.737 yesterday, the AO has now fallen to -1.063. The decline is forecast to continue and accelerate with the AO bottoming out over the next 6-12 days at extreme and possibly historic levels for this late in the season.

the April 7 , 2003 storm had temps well into the 40's the day before - and strong high pressure was building down from eastern canada and a perfect storm track and good timing all contributed to this rare event - thats been one of the main problems this whole winter poor positioning of systems and poor timing for the areas who have received below average snowfall this winter - and looks like the same thing is going to happen the next couple of weeks for many areas

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2003/07-Apr-03-SurfaceMaps.html

The problem is that the normal highs for this time of year are in the low to mid 50's. Slightly to moderatly below average temperatures won't be cold enough for snow. When all is said and done, I don't think anyone in this sub-forum has a right to complain about this winter. For the DC to Philly folks, well that's a different story.

Yea I feel bad for the DC crew.  They are still paying for 09-10, and this year it has been especially painful as places to their west have had a pretty good year.  My town (Staunton, VA, 150mi SW of DC) has gotten about 30" this year, right around avg for them.

Blocking update...

The AO has now begun to fall consistent with recent model forecasts.After peaking at -0.737 yesterday, the AO has now fallen to -1.063. The decline is forecast to continue and accelerate with the AO bottoming out over the next 6-12 days at extreme and possibly historic levels for this late in the season.

what's the record low AO for march?

Blocking update...

and what type of events coincided here with the AO that low in mid to late March ?

Archived