• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March Medium Range Discussion

nzucker

The Euro ensembles have a really interesting signal post 200 hours. The block retrogrades and then drops into Central Canada, while Pac NW vort is moving through the Central US. This almost forces the elongated upper level low over Southeast Canada to phase into the Central US vort. On the Euro ensembles this occurs a little farther east, but the entire pattern looks like it might support a huge storm around that time frame.

You can see something similar occurring towards the end of the 12z Canadian. Look how the upper level low moved westward from Southeast Canada and is now positioning itself to interact with the Central US vort. The Canadian actually takes this really far west and drops it in over the Plains. I think that is pretty unlikely...but just throwing out some ideas as we move forward.

The Euro ensembles really got my interest from 180-220 hours.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/CMC_12z/f168.gif

Displayed visually...here's what happens when the upper level low retrogrades under the block and the Central US shortwave travels underneath it

f174.gif

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised that there weren't any posts about the Overrunning precip on most models last night. The trends last night have cooled the thermal profiles quite considerably, and there seems to be a growing consensus for a period of moderate to heavy snow before it changes over to rain. The 6z GFS illustrates this point nicely, showing the 850 temperatures pretty far south while precipitation is breaking across New Jersey.

gfs_namer_063_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

ugh ull is the worse possible spot for this run

The good news, is that if it's in the worst possible spot now, then it can only improve from there on out, since the positioning of the ULL is bound to change, as changes in the positioning of synoptic features occur when we get closer to that event.

The good news, is that if it's in the worst possible spot now, then it can only improve from there on out, since the positioning of the ULL is bound to change, as changes in the positioning of synoptic features occur when we get closer to that event.

Agree. I just hate the suppresive look on all the models the last few days

It seems, that atleast for the suburbs, consensus is developing on a few inches as a front end thump monday night before it goes over to rain. I think it's a decent chance that we can see an advisory level snowfall in the suburbs before it goes over to rain, the GFS has around 4" here, and the EURO similar. The GGEM 12z isn't out yet on meteocentre, but, according to p-type maps posted, I would guess it's atleast a couple of inches, RGEM seems similar through 48.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this system has been trending colder, and, the seasonal trend this year has been for everything to trend colder in the short term and verify slightly colder than modeled(Both the blizzard and the 3-8 event were supposed to go over to rain for a time here even at go time, neither of them did, and at 72 hours out the blizzard was rain all day, we ended up with 6" before dark here.)

-skisheep

I would say over 0.5" is frozen north of route 78 on the Euro. More north, and less south.

.5"? Wow, that's a pretty substantial increase for here, 4-6" would be awsome at this point. I thnik more important than the actual amounts is the trend, it's gone from nothing to intresting fairly quickly, and hopefully will continue to go in the intresting direction.

-skisheep

.5"? Wow, that's a pretty substantial increase for here, 4-6" would be awsome at this point. I thnik more important than the actual amounts is the trend, it's gone from nothing to intresting fairly quickly, and hopefully will continue to go in the intresting direction.

-skisheep

Yeah, any further cold ticks and this is all snow for you. Very very close as of now.

Yeah, any further cold ticks and this is all snow for you. Very very close as of now.

That would be totally awsome, I was expecting a slushy inch from this 48 hours ago, so to get another suprise would really make this winter for me. I doubt it's all snow, but I think the possiblity of a warning event can't be ruled out after this EURO.

-skisheep

Could be a good front end thump based on good timing and initially cold 850's. wouldn't be surprised if areas pick up 2-4 before changing to rain. Places north of 287 could be mostly snow. Northern westchester looks like its all frozen on the euro. Lets see if we keep trending slight colder still a lot of time

Archived